How did you find out about CRC?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

Re: How did you find out about CRC?

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Dawn2015 wrote:I had a colonoscopy 6-7 years ago (late 20's) they found 4 polyps non cancerous. Said I had IBS and I just dealt with it. Got married, had two beautiful healthy children and this past Nov 2014 I stated having IBS symptoms again. During pregnancy and after the first and some of the second I felt awesome. No symptoms. But in Nov I went to the doc, decided it was time for another colonoscopy. Had all the IBS symptoms plus being very anemic. The figured it was celiac disease (nutrients not being absorbed - anemic) turns out that's what it was plus a lovely tumor in my colon. We were shocked!

We figure we got it early considering it wasnt there 6-7 years ago. Funny thing is I went in for a scope and colonoscopy but the week before a blood test was positive for celiac (test done through my GP) My GI said she never got those results till after she did the colonoscopy and if she did receive them before she would have cancelled the colonoscopy since celiac is diagnosed through the stomach (scope). Thank god she did the conlonoscopy bec if she didn't who knows when I would have found the tumor.

Yes, scary! Sad it's usually diagnosed late

TheLadySkye

Postby TheLadySkye » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Unfortunately, it runs in my family. Both of my paternal grandparents passed away from it. A paternal aunt is a long-time survivor (hers was actually discovered when her colon perforated from the tumor). My Dad has had polyps removed. I've had colonoscopies since I was in my 20s. If only mine was actually IN the darn colon, they would have found it much earlier :(
TheLadySkye
Stage 2b (T4N0M0) small intestine (jejunum) 8/13
Small bowel resection 9/13
CT 10/13 - NED
FOLFOX chemotherapy 11/13 - 4/14
CT 6/14 - NED and my nemesis (the power port) out!
Clean colonoscopy and endoscopy 9/14
CT 12/14, 6/15 - NED!!!

Valorie

Postby Valorie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:06 pm

chrissyrice wrote:Valorie,
I can't imagine having a colonoscopy without sedation ... you are strong.

Chrissy: they gave me a little something something to take the edge off and I watched the procedure on the tv. Not strong - just a little too much control freak showed up. Next one I don't get a choice as they are getting me from both ends. Lol. Endoscopy and colonoscopy all in one fell swoop so I'm getting the full shebang for anesthesia.
Age 53 dx 2a CC 0/21 LN Oncotypedx score: 11
Sigmoidectomy 5/8/14
MSS No lymphovasular involvement,
6/14 PET - NED, 12/14 CT NED, 7/15 CT - NED
6/14-12/9/14 Xeloda 8 cycles
2/12/15 incisional hernia repair - Boooo!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:05 pm

TheLadySkye wrote:Unfortunately, it runs in my family. Both of my paternal grandparents passed away from it. A paternal aunt is a long-time survivor (hers was actually discovered when her colon perforated from the tumor). My Dad has had polyps removed. I've had colonoscopies since I was in my 20s. If only mine was actually IN the darn colon, they would have found it much earlier :(

So sorry :(

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Valorie wrote:
chrissyrice wrote:Valorie,
I can't imagine having a colonoscopy without sedation ... you are strong.

Chrissy: they gave me a little something something to take the edge off and I watched the procedure on the tv. Not strong - just a little too much control freak showed up. Next one I don't get a choice as they are getting me from both ends. Lol. Endoscopy and colonoscopy all in one fell swoop so I'm getting the full shebang for anesthesia.

My next is surgery on colon and liver, can't wait!

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Best friends mother got it and passed away. Son got it 2 years later, found out he had it in emergency room after he had complete colon blockage
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:27 am

exaussie wrote:Best friends mother got it and passed away. Son got it 2 years later, found out he had it in emergency room after he had complete colon blockage

So sorry :( I know it's been hard for you. Wish I could take that away.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:45 am

I hate to admit but I had symptoms for over four years before I seriously sought medical help. I used to get these truly awful episodes of tenesmus that felt exactly like labour. But the trouble is it took the hormonal stimulus of having a period to bring it on so naturally, when it mentioned it to a doctor, being 35 years old, that's what they thought it was - bad period pain. I could take any sort of anti inflammatory and it would subside. It would leave me weak and shaky for a day or so after an episode (I would be screaming in pain) being so severe I just cannot understand why I did nothing more about it. Em out a year in I got a referral for an ultrasound yo check for endometriosis, both my sisters have it, but I was busy, put it off and never got it checked out. Eventually I had tenesmus whenever I went yo the toilet, but much milder. I drove myself crazy tring to push out something that wasn't there, in between episodes of liquids stool. My stool began to develop an odd smell, in hindsight, blood, duh. It was dark too. I thought I needed to eat better. One day I sneezed and shat myself and that's when I admitted, embarrassing as it was, it was time to go to the doctor. Thankfully that doc took me seriously.

I am so damn lucky I was only stage 2 but I know if I'd done something much sooner, I wouldn't have a colostomy now.

I found out about my horrendous family history AFTER I was diagnosed. It's all various second cousins etc, which is why it wasn't really obvious.

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:30 am

Routine screening colonoscopy. Pathology report on polyp that was removed. Bad day. :(
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:18 am

Ditto what kenny said.

The hard way!

Worst part wasn't so much with me as it was for my wife. Poor thing had to go through listenting the doc tell me three different times about 10 minutes apart that i had cancer. Why? you ask. Because i was still loopy from the anesthesia for the colonoscopy. Doc would say "Rob, can you hear me?" I would say sure. He would then tell me, i'd freak out, fall asleep, wake back up and ask my wife if the doc stopped by yet. She'd say, "don't you remember what he said?" Me, "nope". Two more times before it finally sank in :shock:
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:38 pm

I had no GI symptoms at all, only daily fevers, severe anemia, wonky WBC, and massive weight loss. I was mis-diagnosed with lupus for 6 months before a perforated colon sent me to ER and an emergency surgery uncovered the real problem.

My sister had died at the same age I was at of a cancer of unknown primary, but despite this, the docs kept insisting it wasn't cancer.

If they had been able to uncover the actual reason for me being so sick, it's possible I would not have ended up stage 4.

Folks need to be aware that colon cancer doesn't always mean GI issues, and push for more thorough testing.
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

nitebreez

Postby nitebreez » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:47 pm

I had a LOT of symptoms for several years. Ignored them. Too busy, I thought. I'm tough,..".whatever it is, always gets better after awhile" (I would tell myself).
Finally, I was running high fever for a couple of days. My daughter called and said she was coming over to run me to the ER. "OK" I feebly whispered,...'cause by then I was too much in pain, and too weak to argue anymore.

Doctor says "you need surgery NOW!!!" And he was sure it was a serious case of diverticulitus with severe perforated colon. Off I went straight to surgery,..and only two days later the doctor comes in to see me. He turned his head away and muttered lowly ("It's cancer. I'm sorry, we really did think it was diverticulitus, but the lab results show cancer." Took awhile for that to sink in.

Trouble is,...no lymph nodes were taken and examined, since they assumed the surgery was for diverticulitus and perforated colon. So I STILL have no idea at all what stage I am. My Oncologist said she had no choice at all, but to assume the worst, and categorize me as "High Risk".

Had a Cat Scan on March 24th,...but Onc can't see me until April 13th. Until then, I am on pins and needles. Blood test looked real good, though (CEA 2,6).
Swing chickens for me,...... :)
T4a-Nx-M0 cc (perforated colon) Septic shock
2/19/13 emergency surgery/colostomy
4/13/13 colostomy reversed (reconnected!)
1/22/14 folfox completed
3/3/14 CT Scan NED
4/15/16 CEAs still low

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 pm

Nitebreez, the chickens are swinging. Sorry it's been so hard for you. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who have been misdiagnosed, or spent months having tests, etc before discovering cancer. Astonished at how sneaky this rotten disease is for many.
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

Rev_Dan
Facebook Username: Danael A Zilk

Postby Rev_Dan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:20 am

I found out on August 29th 2013 while lying on the shitty gurney bed things in the old emergency room at Covenant Medical Center. I was running a fever and had a painful mass in my belly. Dr. Holt ordered a CT scan. Half an hour later he came in and said, "well mister Zilk, we think we know what it is and we're sure we can treat it". "Treat it?" I asked. The doctor proceeded to tell me that I had an abscessed tumor in my descending colon the size of my fist and that the good surgeon, Dr. Karimi, was on his way down to speak to me. A colonoscopy performed the next day by Dr. Mujica confirmed the cancer and surgery was scheduled for the following Tuesday, September 3rd.
I'd put something wise and prophetic here but I'm too tired to think that way right now!

LB10

Postby LB10 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:30 am

I had a small amount of rectal bleeding, not a lot and not always, for about 2 years. I assumed it was hemmorhoids.i told my gyn about it. She told me I should get checked. I was about 43 when it started. No family history, ate a healthy diet, exercised regularly. So how could it be anything serious? I certainly didn't want a colonoscopy. Over time my stool began to look different. Small and chopped up looking. I began to have urgency. That finally had me in the doctors office. I was good and scared now, and ready for the colonoscopy. My GI was reassuring and didn't think I needed to worry. I think he was as shocked as my husband and I. I feel so angry with myself for waiting so long. I should know better, I'm an Rn. I saw young people with terrible things all the time. Worst of all I'm a mother. My children still need me. I had no right to take a chance like that with my health just because I didn't want to deal with a colonoscopy ? How selfish? That was a year ago. I have to live with that.
Stage III Rectal cancer
Dx 3/14
4/14-7/14 8 rounds Folfox
8/14-9/14 Radiation/Xeloda
1/15 APR colostomy
46 yo wife & mom

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”