Turning the proverbial corner

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jgall

Turning the proverbial corner

Postby jgall » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 am

Hi All,

For so many years I've been a mildly active partner here, not as prolific as some because my work life is just too demanding to be able to spend much time here. However, I do try to at least get on a few times a week and catch up with what's going on in people's lives here. People that, as many of you know, we all become invested in - in some way or another.

As with many, I came here because of a need for knowledge and understanding of what lay before me. However, I think I now really understand the concept of "ignorance is bliss" because ignorant is something that would be a bit more soothing to me at this point. Through 4+ years of hanging out here you watch people on this journey. I've seen hundreds of people deal with this, struggle with it, and many die from it. It's an up close and personal view, from afar. It's been helpful to me over the years to read about other people's experiences because it has helped us. It helped me to know how to help my DH deal with certain side effects, it's helped me to feel less alone on the journey, and (sadly) it's helped me to recognize certain milestones or warning signs.

This is where the ignorance-is-bliss thing comes in, because the last few weeks I've really been wishing I wasn't so acutely aware of those warning signs. It's been a difficult few weeks for us with a blocked bile duct (despite being on chemo, which he is no longer), a stent and drainage tube inserted, issues with the drainage tube resulting in a few trips to the hospital, and postponement of the planned SIRT procedure. His CEA is now up at 245! For years he was consistently under 10 (an indication of a managed and stable disease). He also seems a lot more tired to me, but I don't know if I should chalk that up to the biliary drainage issues or the cancer. In either case, we're NOT going in the right direction here and I wish there was something I could do to make him better.

It's so impossibly hard, yet I know that there are no answers to the most common question of why. My Buddhist philosophy of life tells me that it just is and the best I can do is work towards acceptance of what is. I'm still on the hunt for treatment options. We're hoping he'll still get SIRT in the next few weeks, and I'm actively looking at other clinical trials (and a big shout-out/thank you to my "little brother" DK37 for his help there). But, thanks (or maybe not :shock: ) to this forum and my knowledge gained here, I know it's going to do precious little for him. I guess if it buys him even one more day, its worth it. But how does one prepare themselves to lose such a big part of their life?

Another unanswerable question, I guess. :(

Don't let me leave you with the feeling that I regret finding this place. I do not. It's a double edged sword this experience and knowledge we share. I wouldn't change it for anything. I am appreciative of all I've learned, and the friends I've made along the way. And I know when I need your support most, you'll be here for me. So, thank you in advance! I am not sure why I came here to write all this today. Maybe it's a bit cathartic, but also I know there are some people here who are probably wondering where we're at. So there you have it.

Namaste, my friends!
Julia
DH Chris, 50, Dx Nov '10 Stg 4
cardiac arrest from 5-FU
Iri/Erbi, RFA, liver/colon resection, more Iri/Erbi
Oct14-Feb15 clinical trial
SIRT Apr15-unsuccessful
Stopped treatment May15
Hospice July15
Passed 8/15/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisandjulia

KWT

Re: Turning the proverbial corner

Postby KWT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 am

I'm sorry Julia, I agree that ignorance is bliss in some cases. You can be the most up to date person on this disease and still know nothing about it. I hope a trial opens up soon for Chris.

You're right what is is. It's nothing else.

skypup

Postby skypup » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:24 am

So much resonates in what you wrote. I'm wishing you much good time, closer time because of your awareness (on many levels.) May you both be free from suffering.
Love,
sp

trapbear
Facebook Username: bill manning

Postby trapbear » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 am

I am so sorry and sad to read this update. I was in your shoes about a year ago. Once my Christopher stopped active treatment we just tried to live in the moment which wasn't always easy. I send you big hugs and please know that no matter how bad you think things will get, you will be surprised at what you will be able to do. Chris is so lucky to have you by his side.
Hugs,
Bill
Husband Dx with Stage 3 CC in Dec 07
Xelox Jan-July 08
Lung mets Jan 09
Folfiri plus Avastin Mar-May 10
5FU plus Avastin May 10-current
2 liver mets March 13, continue 5 FU & Avastin
liver RFA Oct 13, hospice June 14, at peace Sept 2, 2014

Delinda2

Postby Delinda2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:42 pm

My heart goes out to you. You know we are all here for you. Sending love and light your way. XXOXO, Delinda
63 yrs,wife & mom
4/14 dx colon cancer,3C,9/22 nodes
Lymphatic,venous,&perineural invasion
<1cm margin,poorly differentiated
6/14 colostomy take down
7/14 FOLFOX w/9 Nulasta shots
2/16 dx new primary of sigmoid colon
6/16 surgery-rescection on sigmoid, total hysterectomy, temp ileo, stage 4
"I AM the storm."

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 pm

Sending (((hugs)))

DK37

Postby DK37 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:23 am

Beautifully written Julia - I'm so sorry you are in the position where you had to write it...
Big positive vibes to both you & Chris from the left coast- Keep on keeping on-
Tom
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:18 am

Julia, I'm sorry to read where things are. My thoughts are with Chris and you.

Love,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:14 am

Julia, Im saddened to hear things are not as good as they could be right. Wishing you and Chris strength for the future.
Terri
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

juliej

Postby juliej » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:00 pm

The biliary drainage tube can cause nutritional problems and fatigue. Make sure he is getting enough electrolytes. Nuun tablets work really well if he doesn't like Gatorade.

I found your 'mediation' on what may lie ahead and the risk/danger of foreknowledge very interesting. Reminds me of an old riddle said by warriors before a lethal battle:

Question: What is the best death?
Answer: The unexpected one.

In an odd way, I kind of agree with that way of thinking. However, there are many cancer patients who say knowing their time is limited gives them time to prepare. Others live on Ativan and anti-depressants and try not to think about it. It's an interesting philosophical question.

With all my heart I pray that Chris gets the SIRT procedure soon. I pray equally as hard that a clinical trial opens that is a game changer. My grandmother has a saying -- "not to hope is an insult to G_d." I don't know how that fits in with your Buddhist philosophy of life, but keep the window of hope cracked open a bit. The world is a lot more mysterious and complex than we think it is. In any case, know that I'm rooting for Chris and sending as much good energy as I possibly can!

juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

DBF
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1000008

Postby DBF » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks for posting, Julia. I've been thinking about you both. I'm sorry to read this, but I hope you and Chris have lots of good days ahead, and I hope he finds his way to a trial. xo Donna
6/13 Dx @ 29 Wks pregnant, 42 yo
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
7/13 C-sec/col resec/part. hysterectomy
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
ADAPT: Xeloda/Celebrex
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg
10/17 Scar tissue removal/vsg surg