Any Stage IV w/no sign in liver or lungs

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
maria

Any Stage IV w/no sign in liver or lungs

Postby maria » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:59 am

Hi,
I'm brand new to the forum. I am 42 years old and was diagnosed with stage IV CRC in April, 2006. I was brought into the emergency room in January, 2006 with a massive infection as identified by a CT (basic stomach pains I was ignoring over the 2-3 week timeframe) - it was hard to determine what exactly was going on due to the inflamation however the surgeon on in the ER treated me for divaticulitis 5-day hospital treatment of antibiotics followed by 10-day regiment at home. Thank God my surgeon didn't accept my recovery and send me on my way. He followed up diligently with visits, CT (revealed a thicking in my colon), Colonoscopy ( revealed a blockage),barium enema and surgery. During surgery it was discovered the blockage preforated my colon and dripped into the stomach lining and formed another tumor. My colon was cut and reserected, the tumor in my stomach area (peritoneal) and surrounding area was removed and in 3 out of 11 lymph nodes removed cancer was detected. I'm told I'm very was lucky it stayed well contained in one area. My liver and lungs both are clear. This I believe is a miracle in itself. I classified as stage IV due to the perforation, presence in large organ (peritoneal), and lymph nodes. I'm currently undergoing chemo for 6 months aggressive treatment every other week 2 day in clinic combined with 2 day continuous infusion. 5F5, oxaliplatin, avastin, leucovorin, epogen shots and at home neupogen shots (8 days following chemo). During my first 3 treatments the recovery time was 7-10 days before I felt well - this last treatment (treatment 4 - avastin was just added in) and I bounced back within 2-3 days. I can't explain why I was given all the same anti emetics by IV and orally but I'm grateful for feeling well. At the half way mark, I'll have a PET and CT scan. Admittedly, I'm very nervous about this. After reading many posts I haven't identified with anyone having sort of the same experience/diagnosis. I'm wondering if there is any one out there :? Maria
StageIV Colon Cancer Survivor
Surgery 4/06, peritoneum, 4/11 lymph nodes age 42
11 Treatments 5/06-11/06
Avastin, Oxaliplatin, 5FU

michele

any stage IV w/o signs in liver or lungs

Postby michele » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi,

I also had my tumor perforate the bowel and was in the pericolic fat and surronding area with 4 out of 12 lymph nodes, but nothing in the liver or lungs. My oncologist classified me as stage 3c. I am on the same treatment regimen as you, but am almost complet. I have only 2 treatments left. I have had to stop Avastin 1 treatment ago due to blood pressure issues caused by the drug. And I just stopped Oxaliplatin this past treatment due to neuropathy so I can get my feet back to go back to work as a nurse in August.

I pray all goes well with you. It sounds like you are doing well with the treatments. I have felt blessed by how well things seem to be going. I also worry about the scans. But, I think that is normal no matter what stage we have.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Dot

Postby Dot » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:41 pm

Hello Maria:

I am glad you found this wonderful site. My husband Bob was dx in Oct 05 with Stage IV with liver mets. Not too long ago we also found out that he had a "nodule" on his duodenum, not in, but on so there was concern that it was in the pertioneal cavity. His 1st surgery was a bowel resection and repair of the duodenum, 2nd surgery was to open up the incision because of infection. He had a "sponge vac" dressing for 6 weeks. His chemo about the same as yours, except he could not start the Avastin until his belly was fully healed.

He did 12 rounds of chemo, had a treatment at the clinic which lasted about 4-6 hrs with the various drugs of decadron, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, 5 FU and when he could started on the Avastin. He then went home with a 46 hr infusion of 5FU. He too would get a Epogen type drug (Aranesp) when his counts were down. He always got Neulasta after treatment was completed to keep his white blood cell count up.

The first couple of rounds were tough with nausea, vomiting, etc. then he did better. He went back to work, except for the days on chemo. The last round was also real tough with weakness and fatigue. After round 12 and the ct scans and pet scans he was seen by the oncology surgeon and 6 weeks after his last chemo he had surgery on his liver. (see by other posts for more info).

We too live in New England, (Southern Mass and now Maine). I spent many hours chating with people on this site and researching current treatments for colon cancer.

My advice to you is: 1. Develope a "fight to win" attitude, 2. Stay connected to this site, 3. Don't put too much weight on "statistics", 4.Ask questions, then ask again, and again. Keep informed about your care and proactive.

Stay strong.

Dot

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:28 am

Hi Maria,
I was diagnosed with Stage IV in June of '05. I was just days away from having a complete blockage. I had surgery to remove a tumor the size of a soft ball from the hepatic arch of my colon. Surgery revealed that I had 1 of 30 lymph nodes affected and there was peritoneal "seeding." The seeding could not be removed, so I have no hope of being "cured" according to my DR. I do fully expect to be in full remission for the next 75 years though. My treatment was 5FU, leucovorin, Irotecan, and avastin (FOLFIRI) It was everyother week for 6 months. I finished in Dec '05 and am waiting on the results of my 6 month Cat scan.

Brad

karent

Postby karent » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Maria,

Hope you are doing well. I was diagnosed with Stage IV Colon Cancer in December 03. I had 11 out 16 lymph nodes positive and microscopic metastisis to my omentum. I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time of my surgery so my chemotherapy was adjusted due to the pregnancy. I had 12 weeks (2, 6 week rounds) of 5FU and Leucovorin. After my daughter was born I did 6 rounds of 5FU, Leucovorin, and Oxaliplatin at two week intervals. Two times I was able to add Avastin, but unable the other times. The treatment went fairly well for me with tolerable side effects, although I think I had more fatigue than I was willing to admit at the time.

I finished treatment in Nov 04 and have been doing well since then. So far, my bloodwork and CT's have all been clear. I just had a CT scan last week and am waiting to hear on that, but overall I feel good and will happily celebrate my daughter's 2nd birthday next week.

There are days when it is challenging to stay hopeful, but reading other people's stories has been a great blessing to me. I really have to take life one day at a time and hope for the best.

Wishing you rest, health, and hope in your treatment and recovery.

Karen

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”