CT Scan with Rectal Contrast Fears

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kitty,rn

Re: CT Scan with Rectal Contrast Fears

Postby kitty,rn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks, Lee, Renee, and others for your good wishes and caring-- it means a lot! :)

I took 2 Imodium around 90 minutes before the CT scan so I'd sort of dam up whatever stool was in my colon. I also took 1 mg Ativan 1 hour before the procedure (my husband drove me to the medical center). I tolerated the CT scan pretty well, I'm glad to report. The contrast was instilled in my rectum soon after the IV was placed in my forearm after I lay down on the scan bed. The tech was very nice and reassuring, and she padded the place I was to lie with disposable chux and other linen, and I wore a hospital gown. The tube and the contrast was in my butt for the whole scan (no balloon held everything in, unfortunately) and near the end of the 15 to 20 minutes, I could feel the liquid starting to seep out. So when the scan was finished the other tech helped carry my clothes to the bathroom across the hall so I could clean off and change. I passed a lot of contrast and large amounts of loose stool as a result of the procedure while I was on the toilet in the changing area. My husband and I hung around the med. center a while to see whether I had to keep moving my bowels, but they eventually seemed to calm down somewhat.

We then went to lunch at a Wegman's very close by, and I ended up using their bathrooms a few times during lunch, and I had a bit of incontinence, too (But I was wearing my trusty Depends!) So I've been home around 2 hours now and still have been running to the bathroom occasionally, and my bowels are making ominous rumbles, but I'm thankful I could go through with the procedure and hope the doctors will be able to see whatever they need to see.

As a hospital nurse, I'd often received orders for barium enemas and CT scans with rectal contrast and used to always {{{shudder}}} hoping I'D never have to go through what my poor patients endured. I never was really sure what all went on in theses tests either, or what contrast fluid tasted like. I hope I can give back to my patients in the future from all that I've experienced the past almost 2 years and support them as I've been supported by nurses, family, friends, and great folks on forums like these! :D

Thanks for all your support and helping me to get through my fears and wussiness!
Stage I rectal cancer 2/07, age 51, found during colonoscopy
Laparoscopic LAR 4/07
Rectovag fistula caused by anastamosis staple; loop ileostomy 5/07
Flap repair of fistula 7/07; Failed 8/07
Open LAR for takedown of fistula 1/08
Ileostomy reversal 2/08

renee2u

Postby renee2u » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:26 pm

Kitty... thank you for your update...

I feel bad for you that it was so messy and hope that the mess was worth it for the Drs...

Big hugs...
Renee :-)

Dxed 8/10/2007
Stage IV Squamous Cell Carcinoma Anal.. mets to Sacrum.
30 Radiation Treatments. 2 rounds of Mitomycin and 2 - 96 hour 5FU Treatments...
Completed Treatments 11/2/2007.
NEG and NED Feb 1st.
Port Removed Feb 7th

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm proud of you, you did it. Glad to hear you were able to do it without much fuss and bother, and you had lunch too. When I have these procedures, I tend to fill my bags quickly (once a nurse rushed me to the nearest bathroom, I filled my bag in the time it took the procedure, and we were truly afraid of the bag exploding). I tend to go home after this procedure.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your day,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

kitty,rn

Postby kitty,rn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:15 am

Thanks, Lee-- so nice of you to say that, and it felt good to be brave and do what I know I needed to do. Even though it was good to go out to lunch afterwards, we went home and the rest of the day and evening was spent running to the toilet and dealing with occasional incontinence. I guess the enema part of the CT scan really stirred things up. Still, it's a small price to pay for a procedure that will hopefully show everything that needs to be seen in my abdomen, pelvis, chest, and rectum.
Stage I rectal cancer 2/07, age 51, found during colonoscopy
Laparoscopic LAR 4/07
Rectovag fistula caused by anastamosis staple; loop ileostomy 5/07
Flap repair of fistula 7/07; Failed 8/07
Open LAR for takedown of fistula 1/08
Ileostomy reversal 2/08

renee2u

Postby renee2u » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:19 am

Kitty... you are so right about the rectal wash stirring things up... OMG... I think I sat on the toilet more than off the toilet for the rest of the day after the scan and even into the next day....

I get horrid migraines after PET scans... within hours after the PET scan I have a full blown aura (flashing lights) in my vision with a head ache.... So... when I get PET scans I get migraines and when I get CT scans I get diarrhea... BLAH!!

I really feel for ya!! But it's definitely worth it when I get the "ALL CLEAR"... NED and NEG... afterwards!
Renee :-)

Dxed 8/10/2007

Stage IV Squamous Cell Carcinoma Anal.. mets to Sacrum.

30 Radiation Treatments. 2 rounds of Mitomycin and 2 - 96 hour 5FU Treatments...

Completed Treatments 11/2/2007.

NEG and NED Feb 1st.

Port Removed Feb 7th

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”