How much do you share on Facebook?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Carolinabluetec

Re: How much do you share on Facebook?

Postby Carolinabluetec » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:00 pm

kennytwisted wrote:The only safe thing to do on Facebook is post pictures of your pets and what you eat at every meal.

I don't know, there are Petnappers and Vegans out there. :shock:
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

BrianMc7

Postby BrianMc7 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm

DK37 wrote:In terms of FB, I think the only "right answer' is YOU do what YOU are comfortable doing. Of my CRC friends & their significant others on FB, there is a wide spectrum of the choices they make. If any friend is uncomfortable with what you chose to post (cancer or otherwise) they can easily "unfollow you" or unfriend you whenever they want. Problem solved.
-Tom

Amen to that. Do what's comfortable to you and is within the range of your personality.
54 M
4/30/12 Colon Ressection (0/21 lymph nodes)
6/18/12 Biopsy mets to liver
7/24/12 Started modified FOLFOX/with SIRT (SIRT on 7/26) CEA 59
5/13 Went on Chemo break
7/13 Theraspheres to combat small spot in liver
8/13 CEA 2.9
12/13 CEA 2.0
1/14 CEA 1.9

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Nothing..... I don't do FB or Twitter....or any other social media. I enjoy my privacy, and If I want someone to know something, I pick up the phone. :D
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Somehow I think your employers, and bankers, and other people that are influential to your own well being, would not come to COLON TALK, unless you told them where to come. Those same people might peep in on Facebook :shock:
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

purplekangaroo

Postby purplekangaroo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:56 pm

I personally don't discuss my cancer on Facebook but in my opinion its totally down to an individual what they want to post. If others don't like it all they have to do is scroll on by or delete, certainly don't let others dictate what you should or shouldn't do.
LAR 29/10/13
Leak, temp ileo 5/11/13
Stage 3cc aged 31 4\20 nodes
6 months xelox 24/12/13
1 clear CT 5/7/14
Genetic test negative for lynch
Ileo reversed 18/11/14
Colonoscopy 6/2/15 normal
Second CT 6/2/15 ??
Trying to resume some sort of normality??

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Some folks are more "social" and sharing of themselves than others.
I am a firm believer that it is the patients journey and everyone should try & follow their lead for just how private to be

With that being said, I was the caregiver of my hubby. His choice was to tell no one but immediate family & a few very close friends
I, being the more "social" one, came aboard CT and other cancer chats on his behalf to find answers in the beginning and help others behind our journey. He loved that & supported my need to do so. It benefited him AND me, in more ways than I can ever express. I did not come out on Facebook, to my friends/ public until after he had passed. I did however support colon cancer and many other types of cancer on the Facebook. If any do not like what I post- un-friend me- before I un-friend you. I applaud your decision to stand up for yourself. It is not always easy.

I ran into MIL issues towards the ending of my loving hubby's life. His mild mannered mom & I had several scream outs about his rights/ wishes vs hers.
I told her simply- this was his journey- not ours- certainly not hers to make the rules about. It lead up to her trying to storm my house & trying to enter uninvited- when he was not up for visitors and not feeling well. He met her at the door in a wheelchair and told them to leave. Several other nasty brawls occurred, leading me to get social workers from home hospice care to intervene. Let me suffice to say I won that battle and stood vigilant to my hubby's feelings & wishes until his last day.

It helped, that I had his wishes spelled out in legal documents, if he had not been able to vocalize his wishes. You may want to consider doing the same now- when you do not need anything. Kind of like insurance- put it away in case of necessity. It may ease a lot of stress and heartache down the road for the two of you. It also helps to verbally stand your ground now, as you have just done. It might give it more emphasis if Chris is the one to vocalize his feelings to her. I was so proud of my mild mannered hubby, when he stood up to his parents- expressed his wishes and confirmed me as his voice & gatekeeper.

I wish you both strength on your journey and best wishes
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Wait...the phone? I have one so I can text and access the net when out. I don't usually use it for calls. I also almost never answer my home phone. I tell people if they want to talk to me - text, message, or email me. But don't call unless I specifically ask you to ha. You can leave a voice mail but we both know I almost certainly won't be calling you back.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm

I post whatever I feel on fb, if people don't want to see they can unfriend me, that is how I have always been. I like people to know for more knowledge and it keeps people who want to know informed. Jmo.

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Agreed, facebook is whatever you want to post about you! If you are posting someone elses news then we have a problem. You said yours is all close friends and family, so that is a good way for you share how things are going. If the MIL doesnt like it, I would maybe considering blocking her from seeing any future posts you do about it. Some people are very scared of facebook because they don`t understand it. When my dad first got sick, I asked permission and posted on a closed family fb site that we have for reunions. Told them about dads cancer and that he would NOT like it if he knew we were all chatting about him but that mom felt everyone needed to know being he was sick at our last reunion right before diagnosis and we wanted the real story out not the passed down version that changes. We asked that NO one share on facebook, dad wanted it very private. We felt it saved us having to tell everyone individually which at the time we couldn`t mentally handle. If you are concerned about bankers etc finding you, change your name! My daughter has her first and middle name so that prospective employers can`t find her.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:20 pm

The person with cancer chooses what to say and what not to say about their diagnosis, treatment, feelings, problems, whatever, in whatever medium they want. That's it. The end. No one, not spouses, parents, siblings, friends, etc, get to choose. As long as your husband is ok with your putting things on FB about him, then it's no one else's business. If anyone told me what to say/post/shout from the rooftops about myself or anything else involving me, I'd tell them to **** off.

justin case wrote:Somehow I think your employers, and bankers, and other people that are influential to your own well being, would not come to COLON TALK, unless you told them where to come. Those same people might peep in on Facebook .

One banker here :twisted:
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:22 pm

canadiandaughter wrote:Agreed, facebook is whatever you want to post about you! If you are posting someone elses news then we have a problem. You said yours is all close friends and family, so that is a good way for you share how things are going. If the MIL doesnt like it, I would maybe considering blocking her from seeing any future posts you do about it. Some people are very scared of facebook because they don`t understand it. When my dad first got sick, I asked permission and posted on a closed family fb site that we have for reunions. Told them about dads cancer and that he would NOT like it if he knew we were all chatting about him but that mom felt everyone needed to know being he was sick at our last reunion right before diagnosis and we wanted the real story out not the passed down version that changes. We asked that NO one share on facebook, dad wanted it very private. We felt it saved us having to tell everyone individually which at the time we couldn`t mentally handle. If you are concerned about bankers etc finding you, change your name! My daughter has her first and middle name so that prospective employers can`t find her.

For Me, it's very easy 8) I am not, nor will I ever be on Facebook 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Bro Nut
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 pm

kellywin wrote:The person with cancer chooses what to say and what not to say about their diagnosis, treatment, feelings, problems, whatever, in whatever medium they want. That's it. The end. No one, not spouses, parents, siblings, friends, etc, get to choose. As long as your husband is ok with your putting things on FB about him, then it's no one else's business. If anyone told me what to say/post/shout from the rooftops about myself or anything else involving me, I'd tell them to **** off.

justin case wrote:Somehow I think your employers, and bankers, and other people that are influential to your own well being, would not come to COLON TALK, unless you told them where to come. Those same people might peep in on Facebook .

One banker here :twisted:

I'm quite sure you do not have any of my relevant financial status, and Kelly, do you work in a bank, or did you bank some eggs :roll: :roll: :roll:
Or both 8)
Bro nut
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:23 pm

FB is annoying & causes problems, yet I use it on a very limited basis. I don't think I have run across anyone when discussed that has not been annoyed w/it by people's posts. In fact I have heard far more complaints than good about FB. It is not the venue I would use to relay really personal information. It is difficult enough here on CT, but not much point being here if we can't address the real issues. Even then, we sometimes make light of it just to get through it. Cancer seems so very personal to me. I don't think I would discuss anyone else's cancer any more than I would discuss my own vag on FB. A broken foot seems different to me.

I hope you & your mil can come to some type of understanding.

Best Wishes
bitchslapped
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

GreenMonkey

Postby GreenMonkey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:31 pm

I post it all.... especially the cancer. I also blog about it. If it's OUT it doesn't weigh me down.

3 cancers, son's suicide, shitty husband, dating with a bag... it's all out there.

It works for me.
RC - T3NXMX depth of invasion 3mm - diagnosed 5/26/13 age 53
High Dose, Internal Radiation at Johns Hopkins resulted in a PCR
LAR 9/10/13 - 0-26 nodes. CEA 1.9 post surgery
XELOX started 10/21/13(8 rounds)
11/14 NED
greenmonkeytales.blogspot.com

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Yes, Facebook can be an annoying shithole at times, but it's also for me (as stated previously) a way to get the word out and to update friends and family I don't talk to on a regular basis.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”