Hello. Newly diagnosed with Stage 4.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lpas

Re: Hello. Newly diagnosed with Stage 4.

Postby lpas » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 pm

How did the appointment go today, Tiffany? Any new information?
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

atiffyfit

Postby atiffyfit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 pm

You guys are all amazing! Thank you so much for all the words of encouragement and ideas and links, etc.

I did go armed with questions, but my oncologist answered them all in the course of discussion before I could even ask my list. I was scribbling answers and swore someone had forwarded him a copy of my questions somehow. LOL I took my dad in with me to have a second note taker and a second set of ears and a second person to ask questions in case I got overwhelmed.

I'm scheduled for a CAT scan first as he said the surgeon described my liver situation as various tiny spots. Biopsies came back as positive so definitely moving on to chemo. So we need to get a look at what is going on to have a good measure against what we're doing. I'm scheduled to see my surgeon again for post op and to get a port in, although I won't be starting for a few weeks. Then I'll be starting FOLFOX, but he's holding off on Avastin until he's deemed me fully recovered from surgery, which he said earliest will be mid-May before he feels comfortable introducing it to me.

If it weren't for discovering this forum and all of your helpful replies, I would've been lost and overwhelmed, but I really wasn't. At the end of my appointment, I shook my doctor's hand and said, "Okay! Let's go kick cancer's butt together!" to which he laughed and said that's a good attitude to have.

Thank you ALL <3

atiffyfit

Postby atiffyfit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:56 pm

ANDRETEXAS wrote:I know this is a scary time.....and please don't necessarily worry about time frames and statistics. Every person is different. Every person reacts to surgery and chemo differently. I can say that keeping a positive attitude from the begining is something you need to do. So far, I have done it. It, along with exercise, has helped me through my journey. Gather all the facts you can and move forward. There really is no time to dwell on the negative. Good luck to you, and there are many on this forum willing and able to help at any time. Andre

Thank you, Andre. I'm definitely gonna keep up the positive attitude and make lifestyle changes to strengthen my body!

atiffyfit

Postby atiffyfit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 pm

AbsumZero wrote:Organ transplants aren't generally done with cancer patients in most countries because of the need for immunosuppressants to prevent rejection, and a weakened immune system can speed-up metastasis. Some day lab-grown replacements grown from our own tissue will be an option but we're not quite there yet.

It'll be important to know how many tumors there are, how large, where, why they aren't currently resectable and if that could be an option if you respond well to chemo. Ask for a copy of the pathology report and get copies of all your scans along with the radiologist's reports for both personal use and 2nd or 3rd opinions.

I did ask about liver resection and he wants to wait until he sees the scans, etc. to see what we're dealing with, but my surgeon had reported that based on how it looked to him, resection is not an option. I'm definitely asking for copies of everything and will get a second opinion. Thank you!

atiffyfit

Postby atiffyfit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:00 pm

nashvegas79 wrote:I was 29 when the large tumor in my colon was finally discovered, and then we also found a small lesion in my liver. I've had a few surgeries and extensive chemotherapy, but I'm still gonna turn 36 in June. Just do what you have to do and don't let your disease define your life. Unfortunately, it is a part of you now. But it isn't all of you. And remember, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so don't feel sorry for yourself. None of us know how much time we have left, so make each one shine brighter than the last...until your bus finally comes 'round the bend.

Much love.

Thank you! Excellent reminder and I won't. I'ts probably a little all consuming now while I find my footing, but you're right. I won't let it take over. :)

atiffyfit

Postby atiffyfit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:01 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:
atiffyfit wrote:...My appointment with an oncologist is tomorrow. And I can't come up with a damn question to ask. I'm kind of just in a haze. ...

Tiffany -

If you can't think of any questions to ask, you could look at questions others have asked in the past:

This is an amazing link list and thank you SO much for taking the time to post it. I'm going through each one now.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”