How can I find a good oncologist?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mca

How can I find a good oncologist?

Postby mca » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the colon club and enjoy reading all your postings. I know that some of you are very knowledgeable on colon cancer and hope that you can help me out here.
I'm 34 and recently diagnosed with Stage IIa colon cancer. I had the surgery in early June and was told that the Tumors were all removed. However, due to my age and the fact that I have close to 40 polyhs in my colon and rectom areas, the doctors who operated on me strongly suggested that I go through chemo for 9 months to a year. Since I did the surgery in Asia while I was visiting family there, I really don't know how to go about finding a good oncologist here. I live in Miami and unfortunately don't really know anyone in the medical field who can recommend me good doctors.
The primary care physician I see said that I have to do both chemo and radiation, but he's in Internal Medicine not Oncology. I know that I have to do chemo but is radiation really a must? I heard that the chance of having babies after radiation is very slim. Is that true? I have one child and was planning on a second one this year before I found out that I have cancer. I love kids and was devastated after the disgnosis. Please help me.

Thanks to all.

Channie

Holly

Oncologist

Postby Holly » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:34 am

text removed 8/7/06. hpr
Last edited by Holly on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Stage IIa

Postby Edward » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:46 am

I was diagnosed with Stage IIa at 36, but had resection done. My regiment was 5fu and Leukavorin in 2003 which took about six months. I changed color for a bit, didn't loose any hair and seem to have permanent dry-eye from the treatment. However, I didn't need radiation.

I'm not a doctor but I think radiation is used to shrink tumors before a surgery. On a scale of 10, the discomfort factor was about a 3 to 4 when you factor in going to treatments, the port and needles and always the insurances headaches.

Having done it, I would do it again. :)
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:24 am

Channie,
i guess it's dependent on where your cancer is/was? (as far as I'm aware of they do radiation on rectal cancer, as it's been seen to be ineffective in colon cancers)
plus, i think Edwards right, I think more often IF they do radiation they do it BEFORE surgery. Not so much after. But again, that might be determined by what type of surgery you had.
did you have any resectioning or colectomy or anything like that?

mca

Postby mca » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Holly, Edward and Cynncal,

Thanks for replying and helping. I'm so glad to hear from all of you. I had a laparoscopic resection of the distal transverse colon, sigmoid colon and upper rectum in early June. They took out about 14 inches of the intestine due to the number of polyps I had. But the tumor itself was in the colon area and measured at 5 cm long. I'm hoping that I do not have to do radiation since the tumor was removed completely.

Thanks you all so much for responding which is really encouraging during this difficult time. I'm hanging in here, trying to put on a strong and happy face in front of my family who love me so much. If they know how sad and alone I actually feel, they will be heart-broken. I know that all of you have been through this emotional rollercoaster ride and it is very nice for me to be able to reach out to someone who actually understands how I feel.

Huggs and kisses to you all.

Channie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”