The Grim Reaper took another swipe at me !!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
peanut_8

Re: The Grim Reaper took another swipe at me !!

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:31 pm

Good afternoon Ms Vicki. Very nice to hear from you again. How have you been?

We haven't heard from Frenchie for a few months. Suspect we need to be a bit more persistent.

Maybe you could swing your 'lasso of justice' his direction.

Here's a funny story, while we wait for Frenchie.

My sister and niece visited my daughter and me a few weeks ago. The weather was pleasant, so we sat outside on the patio enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sunset.

We have the most unusual little frogs in the neighborhood. They're very tiny, but make a thunderous croaking noise.

My daughter (Nut Jr.) was explaining to our company how loud the frogs were, and started croaking herself. In no time at all, she started getting a reply from under a nearby bush.

Nut Jr. continued croaking and the frog kept replying, all the while getting closer and closer. One of us (me) suggested that it must be frog mating season. hahaha
Well it got a little chilly, or maybe needed another bottle of wine, butt we went back inside, and forgot about about Nut Jr's paramour.

The next evening, the girls were upstairs watching TV, when I needed something out of the bedroom, which happens to be next to the patio.
The frog was out in the same spot croaking loudly.

Croak, croak, croak.

I went over to the stairs, and called up to Nut Jr. that her boyfriend was outside.
The girls rushed down expecting to see a tall handsome sort.

What a surprise for them.

So, as you can see, Frenchie, we have been having some exciting times around here. How have you been?
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:49 pm

jortego128 wrote:Im from southern Louisiana and though I havent eaten Nutria personally, I know several people who have and they claim they are very good! Their main diet is aquatic plants, they live mostly in water, they are nothing like rats. Around here we do call them "Nutra rats" though. :?

Hunting and fishing is a tradition here and squirrel and dove hunting is the kind I do most. Squirrels are rodents also but they are very good cooked on the stovetop. We make a "sauce" (red or brown) with them and serve over medium grain rice often with beans, peas or corn on the side.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=4357 :D

This has piqued my curiosity. Squirrel stew with colorful sauce over rice. :shock: Now that's something I haven't tried. Do you recommend it jortego?

Naturally, this reminds me of another story. We had this squirrel, who somehow got the name Marti S.
Marti just loved bird seed, and as it turned out, Marty wasn't a girl after all.....

I'm going to have to parse these stories out, hoping to hear from our dear Frenchie.

MSS
currently NED

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:29 am

Does anyone have a way of contacting him other then colontalk? I have been thinking about him a lot lately as well hoping he is packing up the motor home getting ready for camping season that is fast approaching. You are in my thoughts dear Frenchie!!!
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm

peanut_8 wrote:
jortego128 wrote:Im from southern Louisiana and though I havent eaten Nutria personally, I know several people who have and they claim they are very good! Their main diet is aquatic plants, they live mostly in water, they are nothing like rats. Around here we do call them "Nutra rats" though. :?

Hunting and fishing is a tradition here and squirrel and dove hunting is the kind I do most. Squirrels are rodents also but they are very good cooked on the stovetop. We make a "sauce" (red or brown) with them and serve over medium grain rice often with beans, peas or corn on the side.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=4357 :D

This has piqued my curiosity. Squirrel stew with colorful sauce over rice. :shock: Now that's something I haven't tried. Do you recommend it jortego?

Naturally, this reminds me of another story. We had this squirrel, who somehow got the name Marti S.
Marti just loved bird seed, and as it turned out, Marty wasn't a girl after all.....

I'm going to have to parse these stories out, hoping to hear from our dear Frenchie.

Someone told me, if you're having trouble with squirrels eating your bird seed, they are not partial to cayenne pepper, although the birds are quite indifferent :roll:
I was also told the squirrels become quite animated after partaking of food not meant for them :shock:
Bro Nut
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:11 pm

We used to have a Yankee Flipper. It would spin around when squirrels tried to get the seeds. It wasn't fool proof and there was a pretty big potential for hilarity when the squirrels tried to access the seeds. It was fun butt messy, so we ultimately put it away. A big negative was that rattlesnakes liked the seeds that made their way to the ground. Either that, or they liked the birds that were eating the seeds. We've been missing the birds, so have been thinking about bring it out of retirement. I think the cayenne is just the ticket.

MSS
currently NED

Frenchie's Wife

Postby Frenchie's Wife » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:40 pm

I have been away from this site far to long. You guys are like family to me and I feel that I have neglected you.

These multiple brushes with death has proven very hard for my brain to process. I needed to get away with anything that had to do with death and dying for awhile.

I took a break from cancer but cancer did not take a break from me. A recent CAT scan shows that my cancer has spread once again.

The cancer has now spread to my lower bowels. This is causing all kinds of problems when I have to go to the bathroom.

It has also returned to my liver after a 5 year absence. Back then, I had 2 liver operations 6 weeks apart because I had too many mets for a single surgery. I thought I had the liver mets beat since the chances of them returning to the liver were greatly diminished after a couple of years.

All of my other mets have grown substantially in size, especially my lung mets.

I am finding it hard to remain optimistic about my future.

I am experiencing cancer pain for the first time since my journey began. I feel very fortunate about that. The pain meds are working so things are ok for now.

The docs won't even venture a timeline. They have been wrong too many times and it causes me undo stress.

I have been able to remain active and still feel pretty good overall. I still walk 2 to 3 miles every other day. More often if the weather is good. You would never guess that I am sick just by looking at me. I look fit and trim and still have some tan left.

I am firming up plans for the summer. Who knows, I may have another summer in me yet and I want to be prepared.
Caregiver to DH 59 yr, male, Stage IV at Dx
Dx Sept 2009
Liver,bladder mets, 5 surgeries
Lots of chemo
Inoperable lung mets nov 2013
Stopped all treatments in February 2014 due to QOL issues
I am in God's hands now !!
Feb 2015 - too many new mets to count !
At peace July 9, 2017

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Glad to hear from you Frenchie. We are like family. Sorry the news isn't better.
I'm impressed that you are walking every other day. That has to be good for you.
Best Wishes and love,
peanut
MSS
currently NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Very glad you have come "home" my friend
we ARE family here
and we embrace you and your Journey whether you decide to be here or not....

BUTT !!!!
we are just happier when you ARE here.

I am impressed with the walking, like Ms. Nut, that is a great accomplishment.

Summer is just around the bend
keep working on the tan my friend
In Harmony with you on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

vilca11
Location: Moscow, Russia; Baltimore, USA 1992; Vilcabamba, Ecuador 2012

Postby vilca11 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:44 am

Oh, boy, finally... Frenchie, this is just cruel - could not you just come up to say "hello" once a month and laugh at all what Peanut posted for you? The whole board was worrying about you, man... Anyhoo, I am so very happy to hear that your kicking and in a good shape, impressed with the miles too... Have lots of plans for summer, the more plans, the less is left for cancer to take away...

Butt, if I was you, I would head to a clinical trial, sweetheart - go to any with PD-1, look at the list of clinical trials here - that could be a game changer for many more summers, do not discount it, it is not the usual chemo for life thing, it promises potential cure. I would go to the Hopkins trial with MK3574, if I still remember correctly, it is on the list, check it out... Can you imagine - one day you wake up and the tumor load is 10 times less!!!! That trial worked on mice 100%, how you are worse than the poor mice? Must work...
I myself would go even now, but they need biopsy of tumor and mine in the liver are too small, but many...
Hugs, Vilca
11/2005 CC stage 1, F,50yo@dx
Mod dif adenocar, MSS, APC, TP53, CEAs1.6-4.8
1/12 1met liver@Vena Cava, RFA, 3oxi,11 5FU
8/13 2 mets same place,SBRT
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
5/14 Nano Knife liver same 2 mets
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT
4/15 PET, 2 same mets,Cryo Liver
5/15 MJ Oil, Herbs, Suppl, ADAPT
10/15 PET, same area, doubled in size, high SUV
10/15 RH, HAI, visceral involv., no LN
2/16 red FF, 50% red dose FUDR, CEA trends up
3/16 CT, PET, MRI L.Lobe all in small tumors
4/16 No acceptable options, going home

Sharon Brent

Postby Sharon Brent » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Greetings Frenchie,
I'm so happy to hear from you, but not pleased about your recent misfortune.
Cancer is a sneaky little bugger but you have kicked it's bum many times before, the daffodils and blue bells are in full bloom here in London and Spring is kicking in, get those Summer plans in full gear because the Summers fast approaching Frenchie and I'm sure you have lost ya of things you want to do.
I know it's hard to come to the forum for you but it's great to hear from you and I must say I do miss reading your posts.
Well I wish you all the best and Pray for you my friend
Love always Piyagarn
DH, 47yo, Dx Stg IV, mCRC, lvr, lng 1/14, Tx Capeciabine 9 rnds
Children 5 & 1
DH 48th Birthday 6 November in Hospital
Home palliative care on 12 November 2014
Called back to Jesus 4pm 15 November 2014
Life Celebration in Nigeria 8 January 2015

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Thank you for checking in Frenchie. I don't blame you for avoiding this place. I am so sorry that things have taken a turn for you but you have tackled this dragon in your own unique way so far and I really do not expect any less from you this time. Everything on your terms!!! That is what I love about you Frenchie. This board is so amazing in that everyone understands what we are all dealing with and no one judges, we are a family bonded by something we really would rather not be sharing but being we are, we make the best of it and support each other as best we can. Hoping that the weather continues to stay nice in your neck of the woods and the winds aren't getting too bad. My brother lived in Lethbridge for a few years and hated the winds. He moved up closer to Edmonton and now sadly has had the winds there for a few days this spring already, you just can't run from it!
I hope that the doctors can do something to keep your pain under control. Nice to hear that your legs seem to be doing better as you are sure doing a lot of walking!! Impressive!! Please keep in touch, even a pm to someone so we know how you are doing. Everyone cares about you!!
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:59 pm

I have to agree w/CD re: the wind. It is my least favorite of what Mother Nature throws down.

Hey Frenchie...Glad to see you have checked back in. Your forthrightness is one of the things I love about you! When a person states they need their space, I respect that. It's kind of sacred to me.
Disease progression is a lot to deal with, a real roller coaster of symptoms, emotions...even when a person has consciously made the decision to stop treatment. Sometimes I think there is such a thing @ a certain point of needing to know or possibly even knowing too much. W/the bowel issues, which I'm sure was a scare, I guess you needed to know that in case there is something they can do. If there is nothing they can do, then I guess you would have to answer the value to your psyche. Just remember why your choice to stop treatment was the right decision for your personality type, lifestyle & hang on to that, my friend. A scary, damn thing, Frenchie, no doubt about that.

Doctors don't really know when your time is about to run out, but you will. They gave my DH 3 wks; he continued on 6 -7 more months w/increasing pain, symptoms, but still did some things he wanted to do, continued to make plans, modified as needed. Approx 3 wks or so before his time, he knew it was near.

I hope you continue to make realistic plans for yourself that can be carried out, yet modified when need be & a few in between, too (maybe some day trips).

That is my wish for you.

Take Care, Big Hugs to YOU,
BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Frenchie's Wife

Postby Frenchie's Wife » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:57 pm

BS...... I wish you were my next door neighbour. We'd get along so well. What you wrote just now is so bang on with my situation at the moment. This is what I am thinking about and feeling right now and you expressed it so well.

I consciously made the decision to stop treatment over two and a half years ago and this is where it has brought me.

I can honestly say that I have no regrets. I have lived as normal a life as one could possibly hope for.

Right now, the disease progression is throwing me off my game because of the physical effects to my bowels. That is where the cancer pain is coming from.
I may have to wear another colonoscopy pouch to bypass the rectum.

It has also had an effect on my spontanieety (spell). I'm not so quick with a wisecrack.

Anyways, thank you for your understanding and compassion during these turbulent times. ((HUGS))
Dx Sept 2009
Lots of chemo
At peace July 9, 2017

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Good neighbors are hard to come by. We'd make great neighbors Frenchie!

Don't know much re: blockages other than they sometimes resolve on their own. My DSS was not resectable, chemo not working, not passing stools, then all of a sudden it resolved itself.
My mother had a blockage that was due to colon resection (cancer), then hernia repair resulting in scar tissue blocking off the colon. That required surgical intervention as nothing was going down & nothing coming out.

Then of course, pain pills are necessary, but add to the problem as they tend to be constipating. A real "catch 22" sometimes.

Hope you let us know if you undergo a procedure so we can cheer you on, send positive thoughts your way (nosy bunch we are)!

In the meantime, I continue to be entertained (sometimes disgusted) by politics here in the ol' U.S. of A. hehehe
I saw where your Prime Minister Trudeau was rubbing noses @ the White House a short while ago.
I remember his dad & the scandal of his marriage back in the day.

I'll leave you w/this for now:
A wife told her husband to whisper dirty things in her ear, the man then replied, "The kitchen, the living room, the bathroom and the dining room."

Best Wishes Neighbor
(U.S./Canada)
BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Frenchie's Wife

Postby Frenchie's Wife » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Now that the cancer has spread to my bowels, one of the options is a colonoscopy. I would have to wear a colonoscopy bag again. I had one for over 2 years when I was first diagnosed.
They are not that bad to live with. I got use to mine fairly quickly.

They are not fool proof. One of my most embarrassing moments was at an elegant restaurant miles from home. Right in the middle of dinner, the bag came off and everything slithered down my pant leg !!

Just picture that happening for a moment. Now I have to grab my ankle with both hands immediately, and navigate my way, crouched in two , through a crowded dinning room to the exit. All the while, I'm trying to explain to a confused waitress why I can't let go of my ankle to pay the bill !

I have learned from moments like this to always carry a spare set of clothes and extra bags.
Not that it helped me that night. I had to give my leg a shake beside the car, then sit in this mess all the way home. No place to clean up. I wasn't about to go back in. I never went back to that restaurant ever again.

Funny, funny stuff if it would have happened to someone else, but sometimes you can't help but laugh at yourself. I get a chuckle now when I think about moments like these.

I had a hospital bed installed in the sunroom recently. I spend all my time in there now. I was finding it difficult to breath when I lay flat on my back. Now I can elevate my head at will. It will only get worse as time goes on.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to smoke pot these days but that's a habit I will take to my grave.
My wife has agreed to put a joint and my favourite pot pipe in my casket when the time comes. When I each the other side, I'll be ready for a good time !

I think my wife is selling drugs. Yesterday I was running late for an appointment and the phone rang. I answered it but before I could say anything, a male voice said "Hey, honey, is that dope gone yet ?"

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route. Drugs don't ruin your career. Drug tests do.

I don't do hard drugs. If I want a big rush, I just have to get up out of my chair quickly.
Dx Sept 2009
Lots of chemo
At peace July 9, 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”