What should I do about a mental friend?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

Re: What should I do about a mental friend?

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:59 am

MamaN wrote:I get that! Trust me! Hurt and angry

Thanx

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:26 am

It sounds to me she's someone who's looking for attention. I wouldn't question her anymore about her having Cancer because it obvious she's sides stepping them. Maybe say...I've been doing chemo and really having some serious side effects. What kinda side effects did you have? Or....I'm stage ?, what stage are you? You'll be able to tell by her answers if she has Cancer. Otherwise, I'd avoid her...tell her, once you're done with all your treatments maybe you two can get together for lunch but right now you have to concentrate on getting my health back. I'm sure you understand!

I also have a friend since the age of 11.... We did everything together...but as we reached adult...I can't believe how her moral standards had changed. For my own mental health, I might contact her once a year...you might considering doing the same.
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 am

Honestly, right now you don't need a friend like that. You have enough to deal with so if a friend is adding stress or anger it may be time to set that friendship aside for a bit. Some people can't stand not being the center of attention.
Cathy

Diagnosed 10/14 low rectal cancer age 43
Clinical T2NXMX
Radiation/xeloda 12/14-1/15
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
pT2N0M0, lymphatic invasion 0/37 nodes
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

Ontario Guy

Postby Ontario Guy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:51 am

ritz75 wrote:No I am on a lot of meds for my Liver, Kidneys, and mental diability. They won't give me a hysterectomy because the quack that I saw retired and said oh it's gonna go away....... but it hasn't so I went to another Dr and the tumor is growing and I just got my surgery card for the hospital so I am going in for a hysterectomy.

I think "mental disability" is the key expression here. "They" won't give her a hysterectomy but she is "going in for" one. Inconsistent at best.

For what it's worth, I have cysts in my liver, discovered during a stem-to-stern MRI before radiation. Along with a warning that radiation can induce cancer 15 years or so down the line, my radiation oncologist told me that the cysts, benign as they were/are, might make this more likely. My onc also told me that lots of people have cysts in their livers and live long lives blissfully unaware. The only reason anyone ever finds out is when they are discovered in autopsies. In other words, cysts are not tumours.

Sorry about your friend. She sounds really messed up.

Best,

OG

Bat-Mom

Postby Bat-Mom » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:23 am

Hi. I am sorry about your friend. Cancer is awful. But mental illness is also awful. The medications can do really bad things to memory and personality. The illness itself can do things too. I feel like I have been through a lot the past year but not nearly as much as my daughter who has a severe mental illness. When she is having an episode or if she is in yet another med change she will not remember things the same way. She usually recognizes that her thoughts are wrong when she has them but not everyone is as 'lucky'.

My sister just went thru radiation for cervical precancerous spots. I don't think she has cancer but I still feel bad for what she went through. Heck I feel bad for what everyone goes through.

So please show some patience to your friend. I am sure she doesn't understand what you are going through and you may not understand what she has going on either. We all have our 'stuff'.

Just a somewhat interesting thought (maybe). Part of me resents Breast cancer. I kind of feel badly about admitting that but it seems like they get all the funding and attention and hey we all love our ta-ta's. I feel like colon cancer has some kind of stigma, it is like ass-cancer. Can you imagine the stigma of mental illness? I think the public feels like they aren't sick at all. They just need to shake it off and be normal. Ha. What a horrible thought.

Good luck with the treatments. Hope to hear a lot from you as you win the fight.
54 y/o
10-2013 colonoscopy
11-2013 colon resect
12-2013 stage 3b results are in 4 of 11 LN
12-2013 - 5-2014 folfox
9-2014 cea 1.7 12-2014 CT clear cea 1.7 3-2015 cea 1.6
6-2015 new doc new lab. Cea now 3.9???

Ontario Guy

Postby Ontario Guy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:43 am

Bat-Mom wrote:Part of me resents Breast cancer. I kind of feel badly about admitting that but it seems like they get all the funding and attention and hey we all love our ta-ta's. I feel like colon cancer has some kind of stigma, it is like ass-cancer.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I think what you mean is "s**t cancer".

Best,

OG

Bat-Mom

Postby Bat-Mom » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:47 am

OG,

You are correct of course. That will be the term in my head from now on. Thanks. Haha.
54 y/o
10-2013 colonoscopy
11-2013 colon resect
12-2013 stage 3b results are in 4 of 11 LN
12-2013 - 5-2014 folfox
9-2014 cea 1.7 12-2014 CT clear cea 1.7 3-2015 cea 1.6
6-2015 new doc new lab. Cea now 3.9???

JanetsSister

Postby JanetsSister » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:28 pm

I suggest that you edit out the name of the person you are talking about. If you google her name, this conversation is near the top of the results.

ccmc

Please Read This Message

Postby ccmc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:39 pm

All members are asked to read, and are required to abide by the Colon Talk User Code of Conduct
Specifically :
▪ Remember this is a public forum. Do not post personal information including phone numbers, email or mailing addresses, or credit card information belonging to you or others.
Do not copy others' material, trademarks, or other intellectual property—it is illegal. This includes cutting and pasting content from other websites (Facebook, Twitter etc.) or Private Messages from this forum. Comments should be your own original thoughts.

Non complying posts are deleted.

Colon Club Moderation Committee

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:32 pm

If I knew my friend was mentally ill, as you say, I would stop obsessing about her lie. She is mentally ill, right, so not really accountable for all her actions. Don't waste your energy on her when you need all your energy to take care of yourself and your cancer. I would be hurt that my friend lied but I would let it go - NOTHING you say or do will change what is in the past. That is what I would do. It's your choice to contine to be friends or not.
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

Nik Colon

Re: Please Read This Message

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:44 pm

ccmc wrote:All members are asked to read, and are required to abide by the Colon Talk User Code of Conduct
Specifically :
▪ Remember this is a public forum. Do not post personal information including phone numbers, email or mailing addresses, or credit card information belonging to you or others.
Do not copy others' material, trademarks, or other intellectual property—it is illegal. This includes cutting and pasting content from other websites (Facebook, Twitter etc.) or Private Messages from this forum. Comments should be your own original thoughts.

Non complying posts are deleted.

Colon Club Moderation Committee

Oops, sorry

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:48 pm

JanetsSister wrote:I suggest that you edit out the name of the person you are talking about. If you google her name, this conversation is near the top of the results.

I see it's already been done, I wasn't thinking. my bad, sorry

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanx everyone. Btw her mental issues are because she was a drug addict

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:50 pm

Again, sorry, I'm just frustrated and hurt

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Many years ago, I had a good friend lie to me. No mental illness issues. But it did hurt and I was angry. Our friendship never recovered. At one point we drifted apart then saw each other a few times several months later. Truth was I knew I could never trust her again. Dealing with cancer at the time made me realize I did not need that type of negative person in my life. Friendship ended and no regrets looking back.

I'm not saying you should follow this road, but please consider the negative feelings she is leaving with you. Do you really need that negative energy in your life now? Maybe put the friendship on hold for awhile.

Good luck with what ever you do.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”