HAI pump implanted

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
trbiggins
Facebook Username: Richard Biggins

HAI pump implanted

Postby trbiggins » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 pm

I returned home from NYC Sunday after an eight day stay in MSKCC. I had my primary tumor removed and the HAI pump implanted. My primary tumor in my colon was the size of about half of my thumb. The surgeon suspected that the last year of chemo must have shrunk it well. I wished it had worked as well on my liver lesions. Surgery went well, but recovery was kind of rough. My bowels didn't want to wake up, causing my stomach to hold excess fluid and required a NG tube down my nose. That was unpleasant to say the least. My heart rate was way elevated (120s resting) and my oxygen was low (in the low 80s). I also developed the beginnings of pneumonia in my lungs. Once all that was handled, I was released on my eighth day in. I go back to NYC Tuesday for the first pump fill.

The staff at MSKCC was wonderful. I wasn't the best patient considering the first few nights were so bad. They kept my pain under control and kept me walking as much as possible. The surgical teams kept the wife and I informed about everything daily. I would recommend anyone check out MSKCC for colon/liver mets. I am a little anxious about the pump fill next week, but I know I am in good hands. If you are going to be at 53rd Tuesday or Wednesday next week, let me know and maybe we can meet.

Psalms 91

Richard Biggins
42 male at DX
Husband, father (girls 13 and 16)
Stage IV mets to liver Oct 2013
Xelox Dec 13-Apr 14
Avastin, Xeloda Apr-July 2014
Vectibix July
Vectibix/Irinotecan Dec 2014
Colon resect/ HAI pump Jan 2015
Folfiri/Vectibix/FUDR ongoing

juliej

Re: HAI pump implanted

Postby juliej » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:05 pm

Welcome to the HAI pump club, Richard! I'm a fellow member myself. The pump fill isn't bad at all. The nurses have a lot of experience with the process so it's pretty quick and painless. Then the FUDR will show those liver mets who's boss! :evil: Rest, stay hydrated, and walk, walk, walk when you can. It will help you heal.
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

O Stoma Mia

Re: 53rd St. gang a.k.a. Nancy's kids

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Richard -

After the pump-fill has been completed this week will you be required to stay on in NYC for some time, or will they let you go back to your home town until the next pump refill?

In your home town, would your doctor be able to monitor HAI pump status adequately for you? Is there a possibility that future pump refills could be done in your home town? (Just curious...)

trbiggins
Facebook Username: Richard Biggins

Re: HAI pump implanted

Postby trbiggins » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:59 pm

O Stoma Mia...

I had my pump drained locally today and had Folfiri plus vectibix. I still have to travel to NYC once a month to receive my pump chemo. I haven't heard about my liver levels yet. I was expecting them to be high but the doctor said he would let me know. I hope this treatment works as it seems my tumors grew while I was off chemo for surgery sake. Thanks for the support and I hope all is well your way.

Richard
42 male at DX
Husband, father (girls 13 and 16)
Stage IV mets to liver Oct 2013
Xelox Dec 13-Apr 14
Avastin, Xeloda Apr-July 2014
Vectibix July
Vectibix/Irinotecan Dec 2014
Colon resect/ HAI pump Jan 2015
Folfiri/Vectibix/FUDR ongoing

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”