Because of family history son is getting colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MamaN

Because of family history son is getting colonoscopy

Postby MamaN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Just got back from an appointment with children med center. They discused family history :me colon cancer at 45 but bleeding started at 35. Husband precancerous polp at 24 . Mom got colonoscopy at 60 yrs old and had 60 polyps.

So because of all this my 14 year old son is going to get his first colonoscopy and endoscopy at this young age this summer! They want me to get genetic testing and always put it off. because they wanted me to do it while I was on chemo and i kept canceling appt. because I never felt well enough. Now that I'm better is it still a good idea to look into genetic testing, they were talking about fap and lynch. I'm torn on this subject. Not sure what to do about genetic testing my onc at the time said it was very expensive and me being sick with cancer already put us in the poor house! Wondering what to do?
Dx@45 stage t3 n1b m unknown IIIB
Resected in 8/2010 rectosigmoid
5.5 tumor with 3 /26 lymph nodes
Lymph vascular invasion
Folfox sept 2010 to feb 2011
10 tx only stopped due to low wbc

exaussie

Re: Because of family history son is getting colonoscopy

Postby exaussie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:10 pm

My girls have had colonoscopies they were 17 and 15 pediatric GI s are so good with younger ones. Ours even said he'd keep them as patients til.they turn 22!
I would do genetic testing if it's not a financial hardship. We know that for us there's no link yet. That's not to say that in the next few years they discover more genetic markers. We were told we'd get informed as necessary when more is discovered.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks exaussie
My sons Pedatrian said he should be looked at as soon as possible! Even with no symptoms. I would not want him or any one else to go through this colon cancer! If he starts earlier screening the better ! and I feel good about this decision! He already had dysplatic mole removed this summer! I'm not taking any chances! So sorry about your son. I know when I got diagnosed they told me to tell my brother and sister to get checked, my sister did and she had precancerous polyp removed! My brother just stick his head in the sand and doesn't want to do it!! We even got him a free fobt test still didn't do it or want to talk about it, that makes me sad.
I have been told by two drs now to do genetic testing I'm just so confused by this testing thing. I had asked my surgeon to check for lynch last year . While i was getting another colonoscopy he still had sample tumor on slides and can do that. but never heard anything I guess I call them tomorrow !
Lymph vascular invasion

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 pm

MamaN, check, insurance may cover at least some of the testing. I had lynch testing done without knowing about it - insurance paid with no issues. Not sure if they will pay for the current kras testing, but how the doctor codes the need for the testing will help the insurance company decide about coverage.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks midlifemom
I know right after I had gotten diagnosed ,the hospital I used started automatically started testing any under 50 for lynch. They started it month after I was there so I wasn't included in that . But I did request the test but that was a year ago . I thought I would have heard something by now, I guess I call the office .
Lymph vascular invasion

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Sorry double post.
Lymph vascular invasion

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi, MamaN,

I do not want to scare you, but Lynch syndrome puts someone at a 50% risk of CRC recurrence, plus a 13% higher risk of endometrial cancer, and higher than normal risk for a number of other cancers, including stomach and kidney and I forget the rest; the only "good news" is that Lynch cancers are statistically less likely to be metatastic. So, if it is at all possible, it is important for you to be tested, and if you are positive then for your family members. Most insurance will cover the testing; it just involves a blood sample (the hardest part was waiting 3 weeks for the results). If you are negative, then your kids do not need to be tested (they should still have the colonoscopy since CRC can run in families that do not have Lynch or FAP) and it will be a relief for you and your children. If you are positive, then your children would be tested which is significantly cheaper since they can narrow down the gene mutation to test for; if they are negative, the results will be a relief for them and if not they can be appropriately diligent with monitoring as they age.

The surgeon really thought I was going to be Lynch positive, based on my age and pathology not family history, so I had a lot of time to research this and met with a genetic counselor as well as being tested. I had already talked with my sister-in-law because my brother had died at 47 and my niece and nephew, along with my sons, would have needed testing if I were positive. I hope that there is a way that insurance can help you with this.

The rule of thumb for first colonoscopies is at 10 years before the first signs of CRC or at the latest age 40; your husband's polyp makes that 14 for your son. For my sons it is 40 and if I had my way they would do it earlier.

I gave a lot of thought about posting this, but I do not think I have provided any information that you would not get from a genetic counselor.

Good luck with all of this. Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi orcasres
This is the info I am looking for. Your post is so much appreciated ! Some times I think fear holds me back... But with more knowledge I can move forward and make wiser decisions!
Lymph vascular invasion

michele2

Postby michele2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:43 pm

Hey,

Sometimes they are able to tell lynches from the path report. And you might want to check your genetics center around you because when I went in for it they told me since most insurance companies do not pay for it that the company that runs them will charge $300.00 Instead of full price.
37yo female at diagnosis of cc
emergency surgery on 1/1/14
t4n0m0
6 months folfox

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:21 am

midlifemom wrote:MamaN, check, insurance may cover at least some of the testing. I had lynch testing done without knowing about it - insurance paid with no issues. Not sure if they will pay for the current kras testing, but how the doctor codes the need for the testing will help the insurance company decide about coverage.

I had testing done also without knowing and it came back negative but they still wanted me to see genetic counselor for possible 2nd test. I did not have enough cancer in my family that she felt more testing was not needed.

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:42 am

Hi
It stinks I was told twice by two different drs to get the testing! But my onc did say it expensive ,and it was hard enough just getting through the chemo crap! I will call my onc and start looking into maybe now it's cheaper! Then call the dang surgeon to see if they checked tumor like I had ask!
Lymph vascular invasion

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”