Bad habbits are hard to break

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MamaN

Re: Bad habbits are hard to break

Postby MamaN » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 pm

The way I see it , is I had a great time in my youth concerts ,drinking, partying , camping ,roads trip with friends! I feel like I was number one then. But then you get married and have a child things change a little, you try to do the right things. But I was still here to be able to go to the vans warp tour with my hubs and son this summer, one of the best times I had in along time. So you can still work in things that you like to do. You will find your happy medium!
Dx@45 stage t3 n1b m unknown IIIB
Resected in 8/2010 rectosigmoid
5.5 tumor with 3 /26 lymph nodes
Lymph vascular invasion
Folfox sept 2010 to feb 2011
10 tx only stopped due to low wbc

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 pm

MamaN wrote:You will find your happy medium!

i hope so

hdridin'fool

Postby hdridin'fool » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Cold Turkey is your best chance to quit.

13 1/2 years ago I picked a day where I was calm, no problems on the horizon and decided it was a good day to quit. I understand you have a lot on your mind, as we all do, but give it a try. If you make 3 weeks without a smoke, you're 1/2 way there.

You couldn't pay me enough to light up now.
62 /male.
Dx 11/15/2013. Stage IV mets liver & lungs.
3 dx Folfox.
6 dx Folfox w/Avastin: Tumor growth lungs and liver.
13 doses of Folfiri w/Avastin
Chemoemobolization Aug/14. PET shows halt in growth and reduced activity.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 pm

hdridin'fool wrote:Cold Turkey is your best chance to quit.

13 1/2 years ago I picked a day where I was calm, no problems on the horizon and decided it was a good day to quit. I understand you have a lot on your mind, as we all do, but give it a try. If you make 3 weeks without a smoke, you're 1/2 way there.

You couldn't pay me enough to light up now.

I did once, the day I found out I was pregnant. Was 2 months in and it wasn't planned. I am the only person I know who ever quit while pregnant. I know I can, but don't want to.

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:19 pm

My grandfather quit drinking cold turkey. He was an alcoholic. One day he quit, I remember him saying that he would get in his car, drive to the liquor store, it was far from the farm, and he would drive around the store 3 times and then he would go home. He would convince himself that he didn't need it in that amount of time. I think whenever you slow down giving your mind time to catch up with the urge you can overcome. Same with food, alcohol or cigarettes. Yes you have withdrawals but you can overcome. May you all find strength to quit if it is an addiction.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 pm

exaussie wrote:My grandfather quit drinking cold turkey. He was an alcoholic. One day he quit, I remember him saying that he would get in his car, drive to the liquor store, it was far from the farm, and he would drive around the store 3 times and then he would go home. He would convince himself that he didn't need it in that amount of time. I think whenever you slow down giving your mind time to catch up with the urge you can overcome. Same with food, alcohol or cigarettes. Yes you have withdrawals but you can overcome. May you all find strength to quit if it is an addiction.

My family is everything, but at the same time, I need to make me happy. ME unhappy = them unhappy, that is why there needs to be a middle.

If you read my story, I have been so unhappy and miserable for almost as long as i can remember. I need something. Sad but true. I hope that eventually goes away, but at this moment, its still here.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 pm

ritz75 wrote: I have been so unhappy and miserable for almost as long as i can remember. I need something.

You need to find yourself.

PM me
CR

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 pm

CRguy wrote:
ritz75 wrote: I have been so unhappy and miserable for almost as long as i can remember. I need something.

You need to find yourself.

PM me
CR

Thx CR, I will soon, but prob not tonite.

Thanx for being so awesome

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:58 am

I'm getting buzzed tonite. F it.
This is the least I have drank in yrs so I deserve it!

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:01 am

Really have not changed much and don't intend to. Still smoke (although less) and have 2 glasses of red wine every night (preceded by the occasional potato vodka martini). I really miss the ability to get regular strenuous exercise due to lingering HFS, but I don't really intend to change my less healthy habits. If I have to give up every thing that I enjoy, I would rather be in an urn sitting on the mantle.
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 am

Yes it has to come from you or not. I wasn't trying to beat you up, I understand completely. My son on awful days said that smokung was his one pleasure. Especially when it was summer and all he wanted was an ice cold beer but oxy took away that pleasure from him

I hate that you lose your self to this disease. Try hard to remember who you are. We used to have days that no cancer talk was allowed. No matter how sick he was he enjoyed the respite from all that crap
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:09 pm

To appease my wife, I smoke at work, and when she is not around. She hasn't seen me with a cigarette in almost 3 years. And yes she knows I still smoke, just not around her. I'm of German heritage, and beer is not considered drinking 8)
I was with a friend from Germany one time. He asked if I wanted to stop for a beer. I replied, "Gunter, I thought you stopped drinking." His reply summed it all up, "Not beer"
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

KWT

Postby KWT » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:19 pm

Leave those little hobbits alone

KWT

Postby KWT » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:21 pm

justin case wrote:To appease my wife, I smoke at work, and when she is not around. She hasn't seen me with a cigarette in almost 3 years. And yes she knows I still smoke, just not around her. I'm of German heritage, and beer is not considered drinking 8)
I was with a friend from Germany one time. He asked if I wanted to stop for a beer. I replied, "Gunter, I thought you stopped drinking." His reply summed it all up, "Not beer"

I quit drinking years ago. Soda that is.

Deborah614
Facebook Username: Deborah Melchi

Postby Deborah614 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 pm

I smoked off and on, mostly on, for about 40 years, but the instant I heard I have cancer, I completely lost my desire for a cigarette. However, it's Nicorettes for life now. I also have a vape, but I prefer the 4mg Nicorettes and they work for me. I hope you can put the cigarettes away because we need our lungs as strong as possible to fight this disease. I understand with the circumstances and the anxiety it's more difficult than ever, so no one should judge you. Please don't guilt yourself out. That won't help your healing, either. -deb-
dx 12/17/14
stage 2 rectal cancer T3N0M0
standard treatment 28 days radiation w/xeloda, surgery, 8 rounds Folfox
22 shots neupogen 32 days in hospital for infections
60 years old
mother of 6, grandmother of 10, wife of 1 for 35 years
Jeremiah 29:11
05/28/15 APR, Barbie butt, permanent colostomy
May 2016 Cat scans NED!
May 2016 mammogram
June 2016 invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer left breast stage1
August3 '16 mastectomy with reconstruction, genetic screening scheduled