disability paperwork

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
midlifemom

disability paperwork

Postby midlifemom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 pm

I thought stage 4, recurrent or metastatic disease was automatic approval for disability but they've sent me all sorts of paperwork to fill out for activity level and work history. This sound right?
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

KWT

Re: disability paperwork

Postby KWT » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Lotsa paperwork for sure,you don't expect them to make easy do you? Actually it isn't reall that bad but it takes more like 6-7 months to get a check.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:59 pm

It's a very long process. Even at stage 4 unless you are considered terminal with short life span, then it goes faster.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:02 pm

I just talked to my lawyer last Friday and asked that.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:06 pm

My case is slightly different tho. I applied in 2010 for problems but did not have a dx at that time and usually they will not reopen an old case but are trying for me as an acception because my probs were all symptoms.

Also, I have not worked for 3yrs now but applied before I completely quit and they need my old income or I would not qualify now. Stupid shit.

Redtexa5

Postby Redtexa5 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:00 pm

Yes you will get the paperwork for work history etc after you apply for SSDI, fill it out to the best of your ability or go to the nearest Social Security Office and they will help you fill it out, and I would photo copy it and keep a copy before I mailed it in. No it doesn't take 6 or 7 months to get a check at this point as long as you have been out of work for at least 6 months, I filled the work history paper work out in August and had a check in October. However, if you have been working that is a whole other game and what I am saying doesn't apply.
Start of symptoms 9/08
Dx Stage IIIc/IV CC 2/09
T4bNxM0
Colostomy 2/09
Radiation/5FU 3/09-5/09
FOLFOX 6 6/09-8/09
9/09 Tumor removed Colostomy reversed
10/09-1/10 FOLFOX 6
3/10-2/15 NED
2/14 Colonoscopy NED
2/15 Colonoscopy NED
6/15 PET/CT NED
2/17 7 years NED

jillbugs4110

Postby jillbugs4110 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi

kenny is right they will make it a challenge you however dont need to have months to live....stage 4 will be approved it is called a compassionate care claim to assure approval you can get an ssi disability attorney they will take a small fee to handle it you may get you ssi immediately a small monthly amount then you have a 5 month waiting oeriod to get the disability to kick in this is standard for everyone good luck money can cause a lot of stress during this time.

jill
Live One Day At A Time
I Abandon myself to God
46 6 yo.....9yo...
stage 1V liver mets :-(
my one prayer to got to sustain me to raise my two babies this is my only wish then take me out if needed.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:06 pm

jillbugs4110 wrote:Hi

kenny is right they will make it a challenge you however dont need to have months to live....stage 4 will be approved it is called a compassionate care claim to assure approval you can get an ssi disability attorney they will take a small fee to handle it you may get you ssi immediately a small monthly amount then you have a 5 month waiting oeriod to get the disability to kick in this is standard for everyone good luck money can cause a lot of stress during this time.

jill

I guess it depends on where you live also as far as how long it takes and other factors. I have no doubt I would get it if it wasnt for the past and not working for yrs.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:10 pm

When I applied I sought to do it on-line. Very early in the on-line process there was a question: "Is this disability expected to result in your death?" While my mind protested answering "yes" to that as it was. It then said "STOP NOW, and call your local SS office". When I called them, they were wonderful, compassionate and incredibly helpful. They asked me all the questions over the phone, then requisitioned all my records. They let me know about the one uncooperative doctor who would not send records. It was a PITA to get her to send them, but finally she did. I was then approved within a week. They also paid me for the previous year, when though undiagnosed I was too sick to work. It did take several months to get a check. I was dumbfounded about how helpful they were, especially as a government agency.

You might want to try the on-line/call them route.

Good luck.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

ranger
Facebook Username: cancerIsSOfunny

Postby ranger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:59 am

my experience was similar to Bev's. Soc security office was very helpful; when I came in to sign paperwork the clerk told me to ask security to let me right in to her office and skip the line.
colon resection 3/09
liver resection and takedown 8/09
11 rounds of folfax, avastin. plus AM655 or placebo, completed jan 2010
hernia repair 3/11
http://cancerissofunny.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/Cancer-is-SO-fun ... 100303900/
@cancerissofunny
age 70, never thought I'd make it. happy.
NED a long time.
Essential Thrombocytosis, monitoring
still here.

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:51 am

Thanks all. I did the online application and called the office. Had an appointment about 1 week later to review entire application. They are soliciting doctors' paperwork. Getting this additional papers in mail was a shock. I'm too tired to play this game.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

cmrl

Postby cmrl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:14 am

To qualify for SSD, you need to have been sick for 1 year, or expect to be sick for a year. They look at your current level of functioning and compare it to your job requirements to see if you could perform the job duties. It's important not to stress your strengths at this time, even though you want to be seen as independent. Don't tell them you care for pets, do all your own housework, shopping, transportation, etc. Stress that you need help in some areas. Concentration, and completing tasks are often difficult due to the stress of this illness.
If you are deemed incapable of fulfilling your current job requirements, they will see if you could do a less demanding job. If you're over 50, or stage 4 cancer, it's easier to qualify. I don't believe you need to hire an attorney if you are able to follow up and make sure the paperwork is submitted.
Resection of splenic flexure 7/24/13
T3N2BM0, Stage 3c,12/29 nodes
Folfox x12 9/13-3/14
CT scan 4/14, enlarged spleen, otherwise clear
CT 4/15, spleen WNL.
6/17 3 cm benign polyp at ileocecal valve, awaiting removal

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 am

Like Bev and others, I found the Social Security workers to be very helpful. I lost my job three month's after Danny's death and realized then that I could file for his survivor benefits since I was 61. I made an appointment at SS, went in, and I was amazed at how helpful they were. The person who assisted me immediately also filed on Danny's behalf for his until-then unfiled disability claim (we had never thought of doing this). This increased my monthly benefits, plus gave me some retroactive money as well. I was totally speechless. Making that appointment for a face-to-face meeting was one of the best things I ever did.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 am

When I applied to SS for my husband, I was amazed at how easy it was. Did most of it over the phone because someone on one of these sites said that is the best way to apply. It can depend on the person you get, however. The woman at the local office was NOT a nice person but I was sent to someone in the state office because the local office was too busy. What a blessing! The woman I got was kind and very helpful. She even backed up my husband's disability time to two months before he was diagnosed because she said that his ability to work must have certainly been compromised at that point! If I remember correctly, there is a 6 month waiting period from the time the disability began, which in the case of Stage 4 cancer is the time of diagnosis. I found the entire process to be easier than the yearly income tax saga.

To avoid being confused, only listen to those who have applied for disability because of a stage 4 diagnosis. Those in that situation are in a different position regarding SSDI than any other group. The rules are different and much easier.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

pfCml73183
Facebook Username: Celeste Marie Comeau

Postby pfCml73183 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Good luck. We are working on this process as well. My hubby is doing it on line and got "timed out" and had to start all over.
Trying to put everything in order has been especially fun because we have been to 7 different hospitals (4 cancer centers). I wish I had known that I would need to answer all these questions, I would have been more organized!!!
Peace, Celeste
Wife and BF to Peter, 54
mCRC/IV/BRAF+
Erbitux and Urelumab trial @MSKCC 3/15
went home 5/8/15

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”