Stage IV Fighters

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:05 pm

We learned today that we would have no insurance coverage of any costs related to the clinical trial drug. I have no idea what the costs would be for administration of the drug. My sense is that we’d be able to find a way to cover those costs ourselves. But, that’s not the only obstacle.

A more significant and larger concern about this lack of coverage is that any complications that could arise would also have no coverage. If Lee had a severe reaction that required hospitalization, we’d be on our own. That was enough for us to seriously reconsider what we should do.

We prayed for wisdom about whether to proceed. Shortly after that prayer, Lee mentioned that she really didn’t have a sense of peace about continuing with the trial. Therefore, we’ve decided that the door has been closed.

We’ll be back with Dr. Young tomorrow to begin with his next recommendation. We are looking forward to starting something that’s more of a known entity than something experimental.

There’s also another type of treatment we learned about from a friend who’s going through a similar journey with his wife. It’s called Selective Internal Radiation Therapy and it provides a means of delivering radiation directly to the tumors in Lee’s liver. General radiation is not an option because it causes too much damage to an organ like the liver. So this option is something we’re interested in, and will learn more about next week when we go to a hospital Denver where this treatment is being done.

The results of the CT scan Lee had last Friday are still unknown to us. We may hear later today if anything new will have been revealed. A concern (read fear) we have is that the cancer has continued to grow. Lee began experiencing a lot of pain last week. Pain medication has done a fair job of keeping it manageable.

I wish I had something more uplifting to share with you all. It feels a bit scary to be declining something that was pitched as an option to gain control over the cancer. Faith is tremendously meaningful. Knowing that God is sovereign and that He is completely in control provides comfort. But, the “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe” continues to echo in my head: God is good, but He’s not safe.

Thank for your continued prayers, calls, e-mails, cards, gifts and visits. We’ve been truly blessed to see the “church” at work.

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:09 pm

We just got off the phone with the Dr. about the results of the CT scan Lee had last Friday. Everything seems to have grown.

This is distressing, but not as much of a blow as earlier occasions when we received similar news. The pain Lee began experiencing last week had us both fairly convinced that the tumors were growing. Today’s news only confirmed what we had been suspecting.

So, as I mentioned earlier today, we’ll be back with Dr. Young tomorrow to try, once more, to get these things under control.

We’re trusting that God will make His will known. And we’re pleading that His will is for Lee to be healed from this cancer and restored to good health.

Thank you for adding your voices to ours.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:02 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the insurance. It is hard to know what to say at times like these, but I do believe God was talking to you in HIS own way to lead you in the right direction. We will just Praise Him for the new direction He is going to lead you for now, even if you don't know where that is yet. I will be praying for a hedge of protection and strength for you both during these next few weeks. Keep your chin up, keep praying and listening and never forget to Praise! :lol:

always in my thoughts and prayers
Peg

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:06 pm

We met with Dr. Young today. He gave us two options to consider. First, to try a drug called Erbitux. And second, to try an oral chemotherapy drug called Xeloda. We chose the first one.

We liked the first option because we can combine Erbitux with other chemo drugs like Irinotecan, leucovorin and 5-FU. This way we can attack the cancer from several fronts. The ability to do this was one of the primary reasons we opted out of the clinical trial we were exploring. The trial drug, called panitumumab, is a new drug that’s designed to work the same as Erbitux and would have been the only drug Lee was to receive while participating in the trial.

You’ll recall that I mentioned the lack of insurance coverage for anything associated with the trial. I’m concerned from several of the reactions I’ve received that I may have inadvertently communicated that the lack of coverage was the sole reason for our decision. That’s not the case. It was a factor, but not the primary one. We were more concerned about the limitation of treatment to one avenue, alone.

So, what can we expect? Erbitux is a monoclonal antibody that’s designed to go after a specific molecule called Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF). EGF often over-expresses in cancer cells. When this is happening, Erbitux has shown to be effective in preventing cell division by interfering with the EGF receptor on the cancer cells. Lee’s cancer has not been found to over-express EGF, so why are we using it? Well, there have been several reports of cancer patients who saw promising results even though their cancer didn’t have EGF.

The second option is a single treatment option where the drug, Xeloda, is taken daily for two weeks at a time. This drug converts to 5-FU when ingested and can provide prolonged exposure of a chemotherapy agent as compared to the typical 48-hour exposure. It’s an option, but not as hard-hitting as the one we’ve chosen.

We’re still exploring the selective internal radiation option, and will know more next week after meeting with an oncologist in Denver who performs this treatment. I’ll send out another update when we know more about whether we can pursue this option further.

Please continue to pray for Lee. She’s now back in full-blown chemotherapy and will be feeling the dragging effects of these intense drugs.

We’re still hoping for complete healing. We know that God is above the medicines He sometimes uses.

Deborah

Postby Deborah » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:48 pm

My husband Cecil of 30+ years was diagnoised May 2004 with stage IV rectal cancer. He has had 2 major surgeries and 23 chemo treatments. Last Ct scans showed no improvements doctors have said they will do 2 more rounds and then cts again and if no change they will change drugs. Just looking to see what others are on so I know what other treatments are out there. His cancer spread to liver, lungs and bones.

Holly

Stage IV Fighters

Postby Holly » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:55 pm

Rob and Lee,

Thank you for the update. Lee, I have faith that you wil successfully complete this regimen. Despite the setbacks, you must continue to be positive. I believe that God has his arms wrapped tightly around each of us and that he will protect you, Lee and Rob, and keep you safe! Please know that you are in my prayers!

mike c

stage 4 colon cancer

Postby mike c » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:50 pm

i to was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in may of 200r on my wifes birthday, i lived in a small town in new mexico and had a colonoscopy done in ruidoso nm, the doctor even tried a pedatric scope but i was totally blocked and they couldnt get that in, and ontop of everything else my colon perfarated at the turn between the transverse and asending colon. my tumer was at the turn between the transverse and desending colon, the doctor told my wife i needed to be trabsported to lubbock tx or alb. nm but unfortunately i wouldnt make either one.
he called in a local surgon who went over everything and said he couldnt do anything be cause he didnt feel qualified, i was in so much pain i told him to do something. he opened me up removed my spleen because the tumor was resting against it, seen i wasnt perforated as bad as they though [acked me and sent me to lubbock in an ambulance, 5 hours later i was in the best place i could have been with the best surgical staff and oncologist i could have dreamed of
my surgon removed most of my colon and 11 lymph nodes, i had stage 4 cancer with mets to the liver, after 8 cycles of avastin and 5 fu and lucavorin and oxyplatin i went into complete remission. 7 months later my ct scan showed my cancer in my liver returned and i had a 3.5 x4.0 tumer that was unresectable, they sent me from joe arrinton cancer center in lubbock to baylor medical center in dallas and i had what the call cyberknife on my liver , i have had six cycles of chemo with avastin and camptosar and 5fu and lucavorin and everything seems to be working, my cea is down to 24 fro 238 i nolonger have pain and feel like im getting healthy again, never geive up.

Brenda Durant

Re: stage 4 colon cancer

Postby Brenda Durant » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:22 pm

Mike, thanks for your brave fight and sharing your journey with us. You give us hope! Keep on fighting.

[quote="mike c"]i to was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in may of 200r on my wifes birthday, i lived in a small town in new mexico and had a colonoscopy done in ruidoso nm, the doctor even tried a pedatric scope but i was totally blocked and they couldnt get that in, and ontop of everything else my colon perfarated at the turn between the transverse and asending colon. my tumer was at the turn between the transverse and desending colon, the doctor told my wife i needed to be trabsported to lubbock tx or alb. nm but unfortunately i wouldnt make either one.
he called in a local surgon who went over everything and said he couldnt do anything be cause he didnt feel qualified, i was in so much pain i told him to do something. he opened me up removed my spleen because the tumor was resting against it, seen i wasnt perforated as bad as they though [acked me and sent me to lubbock in an ambulance, 5 hours later i was in the best place i could have been with the best surgical staff and oncologist i could have dreamed of
my surgon removed most of my colon and 11 lymph nodes, i had stage 4 cancer with mets to the liver, after 8 cycles of avastin and 5 fu and lucavorin and oxyplatin i went into complete remission. 7 months later my ct scan showed my cancer in my liver returned and i had a 3.5 x4.0 tumer that was unresectable, they sent me from joe arrinton cancer center in lubbock to baylor medical center in dallas and i had what the call cyberknife on my liver , i have had six cycles of chemo with avastin and camptosar and 5fu and lucavorin and everything seems to be working, my cea is down to 24 fro 238 i nolonger have pain and feel like im getting healthy again, never geive up.[/quote]

MOPONE

21 year old is a 4 year survivor!!!!

Postby MOPONE » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:02 am

Hi all,
I am new to this site, as I just read about it on cnn tonight. I am so glad to see that there is somewhere for the younger people with this disease. When she was diagnosed we were told to talk to the colon cancer group locally which consisted of elderly, she had nothing in common with them. My daughter was diagnosed with stage 4 and 4 of 6 nodes in 2001, after being told for several years that her stomach problems (no symptoms) were in her head, she was seventeen and had it for at least 4 to 7 years!! Hers is the first case in the family, so it was not heridatary. First diagnoses was a rare form of cancer, and we were told to make her ending comfy, we cried, we prayed, the next day that changed to a form of lymphoma, still only gave her 6 months with treatment. So we decided to get a third opinion. After 5 pints of blood and getting resected on June 6 2001, we asked if the hospital would contact St Judes. On June 12 she started chemo, 49 weeks. She was their 4th case without any history in the family. One patient quit, one died the other was doing well when I last checked. Nic is now in school and just got back friday with clean scans. We do know that she is not cured and hers could come back at any time, but we can now catch it early.
BTW her chemo was CACO5 5fu/LV for 5days of 2 5 more days then 10 off then 5 days of Irinotican I hope this helps someone
forgot to let you all know hers was a trial treatment at the time and StJudes shares info on all their studies all your doctors have to do is ask. All i can say is get into a study
Last edited by MOPONE on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MOPONE

BTW hints during treatment

Postby MOPONE » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:21 am

Is it just me or does it seem like adults get sorter chemo than children? One more thing, in local settings the docs seem to think parent and or caregivers can have to much info. I also wanted you all to know that Nic was never hospitalized during treatment because we followed strict guidelines.If her counts were below 500 no fresh fruits or veggies!!! In a weakened immune system they can cause e-coli among other things. Also wear the mask!!! and be very careful of black mold by pouring a few tablespoons of bleach down all drains every 3 days, and wipe some on windowsills to prevent mold build-up. Stay away from dried leaves from the yard as this carries aspergillus too. Other than that life can be almost normal.

hope this helps

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Update on Lee Kirkpatrick

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:17 pm

Yesterday we spent most of the day in Denver exploring an anti-cancer therapy called Selective Internal Radiation Therapy. You can learn more about this at this website: www.sirtex.com It's truly amazing what we are learning about the creative ways doctors and scientists are trying to conquer this disease.

Whether, or not, Lee will be a candidate for this procedure remains unclear at this time. To be honest, I'd be surprised if Lee was eligible. I hate writing that, but since the cancer is advanced and is throughout her liver, the procedure may be one that we can't pursue until the tumors decrease and the liver begins to grow back. Can you see the prayer request in that? It's hard to learn about a potentially helpful option in this fight and then discover that we're very likely past the point where it is accessible to us.

We're beginning to look into other education options for our children. The load and the complexity of homeschooling multiple grade levels is becoming too burdensome to carry at this time. There are a couple charter schools we're exploring, as well as a private school connected to our church. The two charter schools are not taking any additional students at this time, which is frustrating. We'd appreciate your prayers regarding this decision, as well.

Lee had her second dose of Erbitux today. So far, she's tolerating this as well as can be expected.

Our prayer is still that God will turn this cancer around and restore Lee to complete health. We know He's not dependent upon medicine, yet often uses medicine to bring about health and restoration. Our lives are truly in His hands at all times; which is pretty scary when you think about it.

More and more, I'm reminded of Mr. and Mrs. Beaver's exchange with Lucy as she inquired about Aslan the lion in C. S. Lewis' classic, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe":

"Is he -- quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and make no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver. "Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the king. I tell you."

Thank you for your continuing love and support.

Rob

LoneStar

Just diagnoised with Stage IV

Postby LoneStar » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:26 am

I am an otherwise heathly 35yr guy who was recently diagnoised with colon cancer. The tumor was found in my lower left colon (sigmoid) but does not involve any rectal tissue. Upon discovery, my doctor requested bloot tests and a CT/PET scan to determine how best to proceed. The results of the CT were clear except for the tumor and an enlarged lymph node, but the PET showed two very small suspicious spots on my liver. Today, I met with my doctor to go over the results in detail and will be meeting with an oncologist tomorrow morning. The current recommendation is to hold off surgery to complete a round of Chemo first. Their hoping we can take care of anything beginning to form in the liver before having to rest following a colon resection. The funny thing is in my blood work my CEA was not elevated, but another marker the oncologist has requested we test was. This was a marker called C19 which usually indicates a different type of cancer however my doctors have said that have seen this before and are not concerned with others since all other areas were clean.

I'm hoping to find out if anyone has any comments about postponing the surgery resection to do the chemo and what types of chemo should we be considering. I know my oncologist will also provide some of this information, but I'd love to hear comments about what has/hasn't worked. Also, any information on biological/antibody treatements would be helpful.

This is all really quite overwhelming for me. I've never been in the hospital and right now I'm having a hard time holding back the tears and shaking from being so scared. I have lots of family and friends around for support, but am really glad to have discovered this site for support as well as information.

My doctors are actually quite optomistic that I have a good fighting chance to get this under control, but any insight or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Billy

Just diagnoised with Stage IV

Postby Billy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:31 pm

LoneStar

I too was an otherwise healthy 35 year old when I was diagnosed last year. I just want you to know that you are not alone, and this disease is totally beatable. I don’t want to offer any opinion on your options, as I feel you and your doctors are the best judge of that. I will say that I found some wonderful doctors, put my faith in them, and now, 14 months later, I am cancer free. The road wasn’t easy, but with my friends and family by my side I made it. Hopefully you can find similar strength in the people who love you.

I’m 6’2”, used to be about 270. I’m bald, with several body piercings and tattoos. I worked for years as a bouncer in many clubs, and let me tell you, it’s ok to cry. Cancer isn’t easy, but you can beat it.

Billy

LoneStar

Thanks so much for your reply

Postby LoneStar » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:50 pm

Billy,

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm really in need of some hope that I can beat this thing. I went to my oncologist appointment today and I was so scared in advance. He reassured me that they were going to do everything they could, but that in itself is pretty scary. He has suggested that we begin chemo immediately and attempt to shrink the two places in my liver, which will also shrink the tumor in my colon, before actually going in for surgery.

Do you or any one else know of this approach? I believe we are going to use the FolFox regiment with Avastin (sp?) for Chemo.

I just know I'm going to have fight this thing and but I can do it!

ATO Barb

Chemo/surgery

Postby ATO Barb » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:33 pm

To Lonestar

Each case is different but I had 11 chemo sessions which I started a year ago. The chemo which included avastin shrunk the colon tumor plus the liver lesions, then this April I had 6 hrs of surgery which included the colon resection, the removal of two liver lesions plus radiofrequency oblations on two other lesions on the liver. The biopsies of the tumors following surgery showed the cancer cells were dead. At this point I feel great & my petscan on the 16th of September was clean. I am 67, had been a 24/7 caregiver with no symtoms. I had had a slight pain once in a while in my groin which I thought was maybe a hernia from lifting my husband. A cat scan proved that thought wrong! I did have a DVT in my leg which can happen between the colon cancer & the chemo.

I feel positve & hope you do too. Barb

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”