Stage IV Fighters

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Holly

Stage Iv Fighters

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:09 pm

Rob,

Thank you for the email update! I know that Steve is looking into SIRT as well and I am eager to hear more about it. I will continue to have both you and Lee in my prayers! As exhausting as chemotherapy happens to be, continue to positive, have faith, and pray for strength, guidance and the capacity to understand the things for which you may not! Big Hugs!

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Update on Lee as of 31 October 2005

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:48 pm

Dear Friends,

I continue to be amazed at the wonderful and touching ways we have been blessed by your outpouring love and care. May God bless you all richly in return! I know you are praying for us because I can feel it amidst the fervor.

Lee has been hit hard by the last round of chemotherapy. We learned last Wednesday that her hemoglobin level had dropped to one-tenth above the point when she would have needed a transfusion! It scared us, to be honest. Before we knew the cause of her weakness and tiredness it was hard to not fear the cancer was growing. Now, we're waiting for the Aranesp injection to do it's work before Lee feels stronger. They say it takes about 10 days. Ugh! And, to top it off, last week was a full chemotherapy week for Lee. So, she's been hit doubly hard.

Please pray for her energy level to rise.

When I last sent out an update, we had just reached the decision to discontinue home-schooling and were trying to determine which of the schooling options we should pursue. My head has been spinning ever since! It's just not that easy! But, God is faithful and provides wisdom and direction. He has closed doors for the public schools and left open the door to the private Christian school associated with our church.

One of our biggest fears initially was how to broach the topic of "out-schooling" with our chilren. Some of you already know how that news was received by them. We were both astonished and relieved by their willingness and excitement.

As of today all four of our children are attending the Evangelical Christian Academy. Rob is in seventh grade, Ben in sixth, Maggie in first and Jack in a 3-day per week half-day pre-kindergarten. Each of them knows other children in their classes. We're satsified with what we know of the faculty and the educational philosophy and goals.

Lee initially felt a wave of sadness as the homeschool chapter of our lives came to a close. But, when she saw that it appeared as though the change would be easy--even welcome--for our children, her sadness quickly became relief as the burden was lifted from her shoulders. I've got a mixed bag of emotions myself. I'm comfortable with the decision, but a little (no, a lot) concerned about where the ability to afford the tuition will come from.

Would you pray with us for that provision to be made clear? The cost of four chilren suddenly in private school is something for which we were not prepared.

Thankfully, both the school and our church have mentioned that they will be able to provide some help. I have yet to hear what that assistance will be. I'll be relieved with whatever can be given. The school's budget is already tight, and the church's budget has probably been affected by the transition we're in to find a new senior pastor. My hope is that we'll be able to have this school year covered. We'll deal with next year when the time comes to begin making such plans.

Lee's next CT-scan will probably be in mid-December. The radiation therapy option we were looking into in Denver has been put on hold until the tumors in Lee's liver shrink and enough of her liver regenerates. As it is now, any damage the radiation could cause to the functional liver that remains might become life-threatening to Lee.

We're praying that the God above all gods, who doesn't need to use medicines in order to heal, will bring about healing either through the Erbitux and Camptosar, or simply by Divine decree. And, we're praying that He would keep us strong by His Spirit while we await the fulfillment of His will.

Thank you, again, for your kindness, love and support as we weather this storm.

Rob

Mark 9:24b

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:56 pm

Rob and Lee,

Thank you for the update. Please know that you are in my continued prayers! Remember to have faith and know that ALL things are possible. If there is anything that you may need, I hope that you will let us, your extended colon family, know because we are here for you!

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Update on Lee Kirkpatrick

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:39 am

Dearest Friends and Family,

This is a message I never wanted to have to send. Many of you will recall that we had “Black Thursday” back in May when we learned that the cancer had spread to Lee’s liver. Today, has been “Black Wednesday”.

The Erbitux is not working and the cancer is continuing to grow. Lee has anywhere from weeks to months before she’ll step foot on Heaven’s shore. We are grief-stricken and in shock. And yet, in some way that truly passes understanding, there’s peace, as well. You all must be praying!

As our oncologist explained, there are some other options that can be considered. Among them are: dumping chemotherapy drugs directly into the liver, radiating the liver, or heating the tumors. Each of these options—and the others that are within the realm of possibility—present high levels of risk for serious complications. We have to ask ourselves, “Is this how we want to spend our last days, weeks or months?” The answer to that is, “No”.

So, what have we chosen? There is one other chemotherapy drug called Xeloda. For those of you who want to learn more about this drug, you can learn more here http://www.xeloda.com/considering_xelod ... cancer.asp

We’ve been told that this is a long-shot (as are the other options mentioned above), but there is little to no risk of serious complications. Lee will take this drug daily for two weeks, then take a week off before beginning again.

We haven’t given up hope.

It’s likely that we’ll begin in-home hospice assistance if the cancer progresses.

When we told our children, Rob and Ben were quite shaken. Maggie and Jack don’t really seem to understand, nor are they asking questions. Ben has been hit the hardest. Please pray that God would protect their hearts through this dark time in our lives.

On another note, we have only good things to report about school. Each of our children have adapted well to their respective classes and classmates. As I mentioned in my last update, the school, our church and several friends have begun discussing ways to minimize the financial hit on our family. We still don’t know what the financial impact of this transition will be. If you’d like to learn more about ECA, here’s a link to the website: http://ecaeagles.org/

I can’t express enough how much you have all meant to us—even those of you whom we’ve only known through a few, brief e-mail exchanges. Knowing that you’re out there and that you care about what’s happening and are praying for us means more than you can know.

Still waiting for a miracle,

Rob Kirkpatrick

julie

Postby julie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:16 am

Dear Rob & Lee,

My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Marie

Postby Marie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:06 pm

Dear Rob and Lee,

I pray for God to tighten his embrace around you and your family. It is such a tough struggle for a family to endure. You have exhibited such strength, love and support to eachother and to others who share in the journey you face.

I pray that Xeloda will provide a positive response for Lee. You remain in so many's prayers.

Marie

Andrea

Don't lose hope.

Postby Andrea » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:25 pm

Rob and Lee,
We have exchanged a few e-mails in the past. Please do not give up hope. I too recently recieved bad news from a PET scan. I found that Erbitux and Camptosar did not work and I have new tumor growth in my liver which is already full of tumors. Fight to the very end. I too am tired and exhausted but I have two young daughters I keep fighting for. If God has other plans for me I am okay with it. It's wonderful your children have a strong Christian background. God will protect them and comfort them.
Andrea

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Update on Lee

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:06 am

I’m thrilled to report to you all that we’ve received news of a marvelous blessing regarding the school that our children began attending just a few weeks ago.

The tuition is paid in full!!

We learned yesterday that the amount needed to cover the expenses associated with this school year have been covered by the generosity of many of you! In fact, the school has begun directing the donations that continue to come into a fund to help with the next school year (2006-2007)!

Needless to say, we are thankful beyond what words can express. Each of our children have adapted quickly and easily from home school into the formal school environment. We received a progress report this week for Rob and Ben. They are both doing very well—a testament to their wonderful mother and all she’s done for them through the years. I expect to hear the same about Maggie and Jack.

Lee remains much the same as she was when I last wrote; sleeping late into the morning and then moderately able to handle the rest of the day. We thought she had begun to develop a form of fluid retention around her liver (called ascites) because there is some visible distention below her ribs. Disappointingly, when an ultrasound was performed it revealed that the distention is actually due to the size of her liver and the cancer inside. Thankfully, we’ve not seen any corresponding increase in pain as Lee is still able to keep her discomfort at bay with the medicines she’s had for the past 6 weeks.

We’ve begun an intermediate form of in-home hospice care called palliative care. This will allow an increase in the presence of medical care and attention for Lee without requiring that she travel back and forth to Dr. Young’s office. This will also allow Dr. Young to follow Lee more closely as the palliative care nurse and physician will report to him directly. Additionally, if Lee’s condition does worsen we’ll have already begun developing relationships with the ones who would be directly involved in ministering to Lee and the rest of us. And if her condition improves, we’ll simply discontinue the service.

I must tell you all that we have by no means given up hope for God’s Divine intervention. There is truly no reason for us to do so. I’ll admit, however, that it is strange to be in the position of making arrangements like palliative care while also remaining confident that God truly could turn things around. It’s like having one foot firmly planted in hope and the other in the realm of preparing for what would be the absolute last thing we’d want to occur.

You all must be praying because we are truly experiencing the peace that passes understanding that God promises us in Philippians 4:6f. There is no fear—most of the time. Really. I mean it. It’s wonderful and weird.

Thank you, again, for your prayers, words of encouragement, financial gifts to offset school costs and medical bills, gift cards to help with meals, greeting cards with expressions of love and care, acts of service, and hugs when there are no words. We have been truly uplifted by each of you acting as God’s hands carrying us through this storm.

Rob

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:30 am

PTL Lee about the school situation!! God works in such wonderful ways in our lives. I am still praying for Lee and NO, NEVER give up on God and HIS miracles. We can just keep praising HIM, praying and leave the doors open for HIM to work. You have both been in my prayers and will continue to be.

Sending love and HUGS!!! Peg

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Update on Lee Kirkpatrick

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:31 am

Dear Friends,

Lee’s condition has grown progressively worse over the past few days. We’ve begun hospice care as we believe she will soon be passing into Heaven. I honestly don’t know when the time will come. It could be a matter of hours after I write this. It could be more than a day. But, I’m convinced that it will be inevitable. I’m also convinced that she’s comfortable.

I don’t know how many of you have ever been in a similar situation. In many ways it’s surreal. Yet, in others it’s very matter-of-fact. Thankfully, though, in all ways I’m aware of God’s presence and the peace that passes understanding that we’re promised in the book of Philippians. It’s real. It’s true. It’s tangible.

Some may be thinking that God is failing us. I know how diligent you all have been to be lifting Lee before Him in prayer and pleading for healing. I know how much you’ve brought my family before Him. Believe me when I say that I know you’ve been praying. God has truly been answering those prayers!

I am strong by His grace. We have been provided for in ways that have filled our cups to overflowing. People’s lives have been changed as they look upon what He’s done for us during these past months.

I believe our Heavenly Father is also answering our prayers for Lee. However, for her His answer will be in the form of a loving embrace as in Heaven she walks—healed—into the arms of our Lord. Lee’s been in a “win/win” from the beginning. I have to say that I think she’s won big through this.

For those of you who are saddened as I am that Lee’s win is our loss. I invite you to grieve with me. We have lost a beautiful, light-hearted, loving woman of God. There is a hole in my heart and in my family that you could drive a 747 through! All of our lives were touched in so many wonderful ways by Lee. She’ll never be replaced.

But, for those of us who are believers and understand our need for salvation through Jesus, we will see her again! And I, for one, can’t wait!! To be able to know with certainty not only where Lee will soon be, but where I will also be one day thrills my heart. I hope you all know that same thrill as we celebrate Christmas. For without Jesus there is nothing. If you don’t have that hope, please contact me. I’d love to be able to tell you how you can have it.

I’ll send another notice when Lee does pass away. Until then, please continue to remember me and my family as we await God’s provision for the next chapter in our lives. He is never safe, but He’s always faithful and He’s always good. It’s up to us to make sure we’re aligned with Him. And, by His grace, we will be.

Thankful for the ways you have each touched our lives,

Rob

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:20 am

AMEN Rob!!! We will all be grieving the loss of Lee with you and your family. Those of us who know the Lord and his Salvation for us will also be Praising God today for Lee will soon be in the most beautiful place of all!! Not only that, but HEALED and whole again in God's most loving arms. Thank you for sharing Lee's story with us. You have no idea what a blessing it has been for myself and many here. I also know that her story will continue to help, bless and give strength to many more with Colon Cancer who will be on the Forum for years to come. Know you and your family will continue to be in my prayers along with the rest here on the Forum. I now pray for strength in the days to come for you and your family along with God's continued Grace and Blessings!!

Hugs and Love Peg

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

12/12

Postby Edward » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:55 pm

Hello Robert,

December 12th is a special day in my life. I lost my father on 12/12/2001 to heart disease. He agonized the last few weeks of his life wondering when his time was going to come. From the outside, he was pretty healty. On the inside years of smoking took it's toll. He passed away suddenly while sitting down after lunch.

As a Stage II survivor, I am drawn to your story. I was operated for colon cancer on 12/6/2002 at the age of 36 and have grown both mentally and spiritually from the experience. Everyone will mourn with you as Lee passes on and think that she was shortchanged by this dreaded disease of a long life. My father wasn't comforted by the thought that anyday could be his final one. Please be comforted by the thought that although Lee's life may be short as in years, it was full due to the experience of family, love and God's grace and peace.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

etl

Postby etl » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:47 pm

My heart goes out to you and your family at this time. I will pray for you and especially for Lee to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. God bless and Guide you.

Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick

Lee is in Heaven

Postby Rob and Lee Kirkpatrick » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:51 am

Dear Friends,

Lee passed away peacefully in her sleep some time after midnight. She and is now healed, strong and with our Lord.

I’m envious.

Thank you all for your love and prayers. Please keep them going for me and for my children.

Comforted,

Rob Kirpatrick

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:52 am

I am envious as well Rob. Praise the Lord!! She is HOME now and will be watching over all of us now.

Always in my prayers.... Peg HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”