High dose vitamin C

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Cherie
Facebook Username: cherie

High dose vitamin C

Postby Cherie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 am

Hi everyone,

Still in shock and my body is not bouncing back. I am in bed all day with fatigue and stomach cramps. I find it had to come here I don't want to hear sorry or how terrible my situation is I just want ways to fight. Hipec is possibly an option but I can't see my body being strong enough.

I start high dose vitamin C tomorrow. I know its not a popular treatment but there are trials going on in New Zealand which show vitamin c helps slow/stop tumours from making a blood supply. The woman running the study says its not the magic bullet but yet another tool to fight cancer. I just want my energy back. I can't believe how debilitated I am. I just can't do anything, i'm a zombie. If this helps in any little way i'll take it. I'm not going to do any chemo but will take Celebrex.

I will continue to update on my alternative treatments.

Cherie
36Yo F
2000 UC
2013 Stage 4 CC 15/126 LN spread to the omentum
June Collectomy all visible cancer removed
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan
8/14 Ileo-anal pouch surgery still NED
1/15 Emergency illeostomy spread to peritoneum and small bowel

singingholly

Re: High dose vitamin C

Postby singingholly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:28 am

Totally agree you have to reinforce your healthy body with everything possible available.
I can't but try to make a check list of the natural remedies more popular here...
And then all the aggressiveness with the disease! HIPEC is the goal. Ok, let's prepare for it.
So..., I start collecting various suggestions:
Physical exercise (even in bed)
Mistletoe injections (Iscador)
Curcumine
Cannabis oil
Krill oil
Vitamine D
Vitamine C
Probiotics
Aloe vera
Meditation (personally I practice yoga which fits me very much, it's also my way to physical exercise... I really find it hard to move my body in this period, in the morning I can barely walk... so to say that it can be done even with minimum stenght.)
Aspirin?
Celebrex

May sound silly... I hope you understand my aim and won't get ofended by this kind of advices.
I'm with you, Cherie.
Olivia
Dec2011 sigm IIIst res T3N1(2/18)M0 Xelox
Oct2012 5liv.mets Dec 2012 liv.res
Jan2013 1liv.met Folfiri+avastin
Jul2013 liv.res Folfiri+/av
Feb2014 10+2lu.mets & 1abd node Folfoxiri+SBRT
Sep2014 Res rx l. BUT spot on diaph:SBRT
Dec2014 3+6lu.mets.Immuno

singingholly

Postby singingholly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:38 am

Ah, and on the "shock" front, becsuse we have a soul to take care of..., I find of huge help to write... put down in words on a paper emotions, feelings, ideas... everything. It makes my soul lighter and really helps me breathing better.
Dec2011 sigm IIIst res T3N1(2/18)M0 Xelox
Oct2012 5liv.mets Dec 2012 liv.res
Jan2013 1liv.met Folfiri+avastin
Jul2013 liv.res Folfiri+/av
Feb2014 10+2lu.mets & 1abd node Folfoxiri+SBRT
Sep2014 Res rx l. BUT spot on diaph:SBRT
Dec2014 3+6lu.mets.Immuno

skypup

Postby skypup » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:58 am

Cherie, I have the impression IV vitamin C would actually be a popular adjunct if it were more affordable. I've read good things about it. I had one infusion, but was charged something like US$150. No way could any one but the wealthy afford that here in the States. What does it cost there? I'll be looking forward to your updates!

rp1954

effects

Postby rp1954 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:35 am

Histamines drive VEGF-A, a linchpin of angiogenesis. High vitamin C levels also help prevent hypoxy inducible factor activity, HIF-1a activity which communicates with histamine. Since vitamin C neutralizes histamine, it would be nice if they measure things like histamine and VEGF-A levels, too.

Lots of IV C variations possible. e.g. 25-50-75-100 grams C per IV. Rate (gram/min or hr-minutes). 1-2-3x per week ? clear / yellow? The most fascinating CRC experiments are 5FU-vitamin K2-C and yellow C (partly dehydroascorbic acid) with hydroxy-B12.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:48 am

I've done high dose vitamin C iv. I also do some other natural stuff. Let me know if you want to chat....

cb <3
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:25 am

Don't forget the Cimetidine, and possibly I am now looking at Cyclocreatine based on a post earlier this morning in the New Stories thread. Looks like inhibition of CBK might be very beneficial to slow further met formation, which I believe is very important to gaining control over this disease.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Cherie

Postby Cherie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:48 pm

36Yo F
2000 UC
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan

Cherie

Postby Cherie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:49 pm

I think it is going to cost 150 new zealand dollars. Which is doable but I also have my wider family pitching in on the costs.
36Yo F
2000 UC
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:22 pm

The inherent supportive effects of IV vitamin C include energy and wellbeing with reduced inflammation, pain, infection, environmental sensitivity, allergy and chemo side effects, declining across several days to maybe a week. Substantial magnesium chloride or sulfate in the IV is a relatively recent addition to modern practice for vein comfort and other benefits. The magnesium content should be confirmed. A scheduled home nurse might get your costs under $100, depending on the injectables supply costs in quantity.

The most successful overall anticancer experiences for IV vitamin C have been with additive natural adjuncts like vitamin K2/K3, cobalt carriers (hydroxy-B12), etc and/or light chemo, across several kinds of advanced cancers, rather than stand alone. For CRC, oral 5FU compounds are the chemo part.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

NZJay

Postby NZJay » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Cherie, are you still looking into ADAPT? I know you said no chemo, but low-dose xeloda for example shouldn't be too rough on your body.
11-13 Dx CC
SPS T4b(touched stomach organ),N1(3/23),M0(Stage 3B)
11-13: resect + partial gastrect
2-14: 1 Tx Cape + Oxy; renal failure, colitis
4-14: 7 Tx Capecitabine
1-15: clear CT
7-15: clear scope
1-16: clear CT
3-17: clear CT
10-17: clear scope (5 year gap now!)
CEA@dx: 8.4 / 6-15: 4.0 / 10-15: 4.2 / 2-16: 4.9 / 7-16: 4.9 / 11-16: 5.0 / 6-17: 4.5
NED since resection

Cherie

Postby Cherie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 pm

So i got a bag of fluid and bag of vitamin C with magnesium and some B vitamins and wow do I feel heaps better. It was clear I am suffering from dehydration. But today I'm up and about like "normal." I wish I had of done this a week ago.

Worth ago if your feeling like shit.
36Yo F
2000 UC
July Folfox + Avastin
2/14 clean scan

NZJay

Postby NZJay » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Cherie wrote:So i got a bag of fluid and bag of vitamin C with magnesium and some B vitamins and wow do I feel heaps better. It was clear I am suffering from dehydration. But today I'm up and about like "normal." I wish I had of done this a week ago.

Worth ago if your feeling like shit.

Yeah a bag of fluids always perks you up aye. Every time I got admitted during chemo, they'd drip me "just because we can" and I always felt awesome afterwards ha.

Glad you're feeling perkier :)
11-13 Dx CC
SPS T4b(touched stomach organ),N1(3/23),M0(Stage 3B)
11-13: resect + partial gastrect
2-14: 1 Tx Cape + Oxy; renal failure, colitis
4-14: 7 Tx Capecitabine
1-15: clear CT
7-15: clear scope
1-16: clear CT
3-17: clear CT
10-17: clear scope (5 year gap now!)
CEA@dx: 8.4 / 6-15: 4.0 / 10-15: 4.2 / 2-16: 4.9 / 7-16: 4.9 / 11-16: 5.0 / 6-17: 4.5
NED since resection

Maia

Postby Maia » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:25 am

Cherie, so good you're doing IV vitamin C.

Know that it may be more than a mere adjuvant -IV vitamin C has anticancer effects per se, or in combination with chemos, accordingly with some studies; as rp1954 has pointed out, for CRC, that chemo would be 'light', oral, chemo: pro-5-FU (meaning, Xeloda or Tegafur). And you are or will be doing Xeloda : )
There are clinical trials ongoing with vitamin C, as monotherapy for cancer, and also in combination with chemos. My point is: do it, with great conviction, it may help.

I agree with GrouseMan about cimetidine, at least; everything to slow down/ shut down new mets formation.

About vitamin C (copying a bit from old threads):

Oral, not pharmacological (low) doses of vitamin C act as antioxidant -so it's counteractive to the chemo. That's why oncologists say don't take vitamin C while on chemo (antioxidants may shield cancer cells from 'getting' the chemo). But that's for low doses of vitamin C.

At intravenous, pharmacological (large) doses (and maybe oral doses too, but large), vitamin C becomes a pro-oxidant -and it has anti-cancer properties.

Vitamin C Pharmacokinetics: Implications for Oral and Intravenous Use
: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articlei ... &issueno=7

Intravenously administered vitamin C as cancer therapy: three cases
(full text: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/174/7/937.full )
CMAJ March 28, 2006 vol. 174 no. 7
Sebastian J. Padayatty, Hugh D. Riordan, Stephen M. Hewitt, Arie Katz, L. John Hoffer, Mark Levine

+ Author Affiliations: From the Molecular and Clinical Nutrition Section, Digestive Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (Padayatty, Katz, Levine), and the Laboratory of Pathology, Centers for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute (Hewitt), National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.; Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research (Hoffer), McGill University, Montréal, Que.; Bio-Communications Research Institute (Riordan) (deceased), Wichita, Kan.
Correspondence to: Dr. Mark Levine, Molecular and Clinical Nutrition Section, Bldg. 10, Rm 4D52–MSC 1372, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD ; MarkL@mail.nih.gov

Abstract

Early clinical studies showed that high-dose vitamin C, given by intravenous and oral routes, may improve symptoms and prolong life in patients with terminal cancer. Double-blind placebo-controlled studies of oral vitamin C therapy showed no benefit. Recent evidence shows that oral administration of the maximum tolerated dose of vitamin C (18 g/d) produces peak plasma concentrations of only 220 μmol/L, whereas intravenous administration of the same dose produces plasma concentrations about 25-fold higher. Larger doses (50–100 g) given intravenously may result in plasma concentrations of about 14 000 μmol/L. At concentrations above 1000 μmol/L, vitamin C is toxic to some cancer cells but not to normal cells in vitro. We found 3 well-documented cases of advanced cancers, confirmed by histopathologic review, where patients had unexpectedly long survival times after receiving high-dose intravenous vitamin C therapy. We examined clinical details of each case in accordance with National Cancer Institute (NCI) Best Case Series guidelines. Tumour pathology was verified by pathologists at the NCI who were unaware of diagnosis or treatment. In light of recent clinical pharmacokinetic findings and in vitro evidence of anti-tumour mechanisms, these case reports indicate that the role of high-dose intravenous vitamin C therapy in cancer treatment should be reassessed.

They are trying it in Denmark as monotherapy (not other treatment than IV vitamin C) for cancer elderly patients:Vitamin C as an Anti-cancer Drug "Each subjects receive 12 weeks of 1 weekly treatment with intravenous vitamin c. 5grams are given at week 1, 30 grams at week 2 and 60 grams at week 3-12. If eligibility criteria are met the subject may continue with 1 weekly vitamin c treatment of 60 grams at week 13-20."

In the States they are trying it more for pancreatic (given the grim prognosis) in combination with chemos, or alone:
Assessing the Efficacy and Safety of IV Vitamin C in Combination With Standard Chemotherapy for Pancreatic Ca
New Treatment Option for Pancreatic Cancer

A good explanation from the trial description of this last one:
    "It is known that people with cancer are using high doses of intravenous vitamin C also known as ascorbate, as a cancer treatment and this is occurring frequently. When Vitamin C is given in this manner, it is not taken by mouth; instead, it enters your body through an IV (intravenous) site, or tube that is inserted through a needle into your vein. If you have a port-a-cath in place, the IV will be given using your port. When Vitamin C enters your body through an IV site, it is known that it acts like a drug and not a vitamin. It produces a substance around the cancer cells called hydrogen peroxide. It has been seen in animal research studies that hydrogen peroxide kills the cancer cells while leaving the normal cells unharmed.
    Currently the FDA does not approve the use of high-dose intravenous Vitamin C as a cancer treatment. The use of intravenous Vitamin C in this study is experimental. Furthermore, it is important to know that we do not expect the intravenous Vitamin C given in this study to be healing for the treatment of your cancer."

Also, for breast cancer, etc.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”