Xanax and proper dose,what to expect.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Scaredsless

Xanax and proper dose,what to expect.

Postby Scaredsless » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:53 am

as nervous depressed and sleepless as I've been ask for andreceived a prescription for Xanax from my doctor. I've never taken the drug before. I took one yesterday morning and it seemed to work fairly well as I didn't get upset or anxious the entire day. This morning I woke up feeling extremely well rested energized and a very good mood so I took another .this evening I decided to take another to see how well it would make me sleep. I set down in my chair and watch TV and that's the last thing I remember until three hours later when my wife came homeand inquired About my evening. At the moment I couldn't tell her much. I wasn't even sure that I taken a Nother pill or not.my question is am I supposed to take these pills at the same time every day or just as needed? I am so thankful to get some sleep.it seems like it's been ages since I got this much sleep. Can I expect the effect to wear off with time? I need to get a pil case so I'll be able to rememberif I took one.
Stage 2, T3, CRC, starting chem/rad 01/12/15
Fluorouracil 6 weeks

skypup

Re: Xanax and proper dose,what to expect.

Postby skypup » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 am

I can tell you my experience, but I'm no expert on the drug. I was prescribed Xanax to stop the monkey mind that sometimes takes over at night. Previously I had used Ambien occasionally to help me sleep. I don't think I have used it again since I got the Xanax. I am a reluctant drug user, though, so I only take it when I really need (for me that's about once or twice a week and only at night.) It's sure done it's job and the quality of my sleep seems much better than what I got with Ambien. Me being me, I am reluctant to get physically dependent on this very physically addictive drug, so I gratefully use it when I need but only when I really need.

I don't know if you have tried cannabis yet, or if you are open to it, but it has been an incredible help to many of us for managing nausea, pain, anxiety... the list goes on. You may have seen some of the threads on this.

MamaN

Postby MamaN » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:28 am

I know how hard a cancer diagnosis can be. Once I started chemo I felt safer like something was being done. Any way before chemo started my doctor gave a prescription for Xanax I was told to only take half a pill when needed so that way I wouldn't get so sleepy. I also don't like to take any more medication that needed. I always follow the doctors orders.
Dx@45 stage t3 n1b m unknown IIIB
Resected in 8/2010 rectosigmoid
5.5 tumor with 3 /26 lymph nodes
Lymph vascular invasion
Folfox sept 2010 to feb 2011
10 tx only stopped due to low wbc

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:36 pm

I have taken Xanax for many years only as needed but more so now. The dosage is really up to how it affects you. Do not worry too much, it's not easy to OD on. Not saying take a bunch but a couple a day is fine. I currently have .5mg tablets and have taken 2 or 3 at a time if needed. I think they go up to 2.0mg tablets.

Scaredsless

Postby Scaredsless » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:46 pm

Whoops, I took a pill this morning and went to work. I wound up having to get a ride home and leave my car downtown.although I slept 10 hours last night I just slept another three. No more taking it during the day that's for surehowever, I'm getting some of the best sleep I've gotten in years. I think I just need to get the dosage right and the timing.i've been taking Benadryl but it doesn't Make me sleep all the way through the night. I also need something for when I get upset or otherwise in a bad mood during the day. I had assumed this was something you were supposed to take every day. That Ain't going to happen.The next time I try to take one of these during the day I'm going to bite it in quarters. I don't have issues with smoking pot but my wife does and that would cause considerable stress which in turn would mean I need more Xanax. Radiationsstarts Monday.
Fluorouracil 6 weeks

mstults

Postby mstults » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:01 pm

If you need it during the day I'd tey a small dose. Then take more at night. I have .25 mg and take it only occasionally.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

hopeful

Postby hopeful » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 pm

I've taken it on and off for years and take it only as needed. I don't know how I would have gotten through my husband's diagnosis and treatment without it because I'm a professional worrier. :D my doctor prescribed it for the first time over 14 years ago when my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. (She has been NED for over 14 years now.) it can be habit forming so only take it as needed and take the smallest dose necessary. I took it for months and then forgot to take it when it when things calmed down. Now I only take it occasionally when I can't sleep. I go for months without taking it.

It sounds like it affects you a lot to make you so sleepy. Maybe check with your doctor about a lower dose tablet or break it in half? Maybe you've been so worn out with lack of sleep that you just needed to catch up. I hope your treatments go well and all the worrying is soon behind you.
Caregiver to husband diagnosed 11/09 stage IIIb colon cancer
Surgery 11/5/09
12 rounds FOLFOX beginning 12/18/09
Folfox finished 6/3/10
Last scan Jan 2015
NED since Dec. 2009

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:14 am

Sorry, I wanted to add, it is an as needed pill, not like ones you take daily at a specific time. If you anxious then take one, or just at night or when you can be sure you are safe and understand the affects. What dose were you given? It starts at .25 then .5 then 1 and 2.

I would think your doc started you at .25, but being that tired I just wanted to ask to make sure.

As I mentioned I have been on it for many yrs so even .5 does not do much but I can tolerate more.

I never get the tired affect anymore, can't remember when I last did, but then again I take ambien, so xanax is nothing to me but an anti anxiety med now.

Even that I still have problems falling asleep.

Staying asleep and sleeping for long periods is fine, just the falling asleep at night I have an issue with.

I can literally sleep well over 12 hrs once I'm asleep, yeah, bad huh

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Postby alphagam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:03 pm

I have serious sleep issues and anxiety. This all happened before my RC diagnosis. I take 2 Trazadone and a 12.5 mg Ambien CR every night. I also take a half of a .25 Xanax at bedtime and in the morning. I sleep 6-7 hours a night and have no sleepiness during the day. I can also take a .25 Xanax as needed.

No problems at all
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

KimT

Postby KimT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:23 pm

The thing about Xanax is that it has a very long half life. It takes a long to time to clear your body. When you take it often throughout the day, the effects can be cumulative. IMO Xanax is best as an as needed drug. You might try a regular ssri antidepressant for anxiety to help keep you on an even keel all day and use the Xanax at night to help you sleep and just take it for daytime anxiety when you are having a really bad day. I've been on Effexor since my ovarian cancer diagnosis. My doctor whipped out a script for that and Xanax at my first oncology appointment. I haven't needed the Xanax after being on the Effexor for 6 weeks.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:46 pm

Xanax is supposed to be taken only as needed - it works really well when taken for panic attacks / extreme anxiety. Works like nothing else will.

It should not be taken on a regular basis without symptoms and should only rarely be taken to help with sleep - the latter can be addictive.

But, it's a great drug when used properly.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Another thing -

There are recent studies that show that drugs like Lunesta, benzodiazepines (like Xanax) can contribute to dementia in patients over 65 - especially women. Something to think about. My onc put me on Lunesta to help me sleep when I was diagnosed - June 2005. I've gone off of it recently because of this study (and at her recommendation) and I'm after a few days sleeping better than when I was on Lunesta.

My onc said that if I were Stage 4 and not doing well or not expected to do well, she would keep me on these meds, but with my current condition, she really wants me off them.

Take care,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

Scaredsless

Postby Scaredsless » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:52 am

I've cut way back on the dosage. I found out about the cumulative effect right away. My pills are 1mg so I just take 1/4 at night. Addictive or not sleeploss. Is miserable I've been feeling real good in the AM and getting a lot done thanks to the extra sleep
Fluorouracil 6 weeks

JenTehLuv

Postby JenTehLuv » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Hello!

My own personal experience with Xanax has been a bit tricky, at first it worked fairly well and I was told to take it when I needed it, usually when I needed to sleep since as many people with a recent diagnosis I was having issues falling and staying asleep.

However after awhile it felt like it wasn't working l that well and was told to use it with benedryle. I told my onc my issues that during the day when I would take it when I was feeling stressed out it would only last for about an hour or so. Then they switched me to klonopin Instead twice a day since my onc told me some people build a tolerance to Xanax which is apparently what happened to me. Though the klonopin worked fairly well I am being switched again to something called remeron since works as a anti depressants but also has the benefits of sleep aid and appetite increaser, since my insurance sucks and won't cover my appetite increaser and I still had issues sleeping.

Now I wake up feeling refreshed and I still have appetite, though I'm still using the klonopin for a few more week until the remeron' s anti depressant effects take over then I will quit the klonopin.

But overall just be careful, a drug is still. Drug and you don't want to go down the slipper sloop that I am to find "the right thing". My Xanax was as needed at 0.5 mg then it was twice a day, then it stopped working for me. You just need to be careful is all, it seems I finally found something for me that works but if Xanax works for you then stick with it. But don't be afraid to change if you need to.
Stage 4 colon cancer at 26 yrs old 9/24/14
Huge mass blocking colon, mets in peritoneum + liver
Emergency Colostomy mass removed 9/26/14
Port installed 10/8/14
Folfox started 10/20/14
CEA 153 down to 2.3! 3/17/15

KWT

Postby KWT » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:16 pm

I usually take more than prescribed with a beer or two and expect the best!

That's just me though and I'm a bit..... :twisted: :twisted:

I'm with skypup on the marijuana. You could just throw the xanax away :shock: although I'm guessing AZ. is not to keen on marijuan use.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”