Low white cell counts

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
northern lights

Low white cell counts

Postby northern lights » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:56 pm

Folfox has left me with really low counts and instead of having treatments every 2 weeks, they have been every 4 weeks. The docs have already reduced the treatment by 20% and may reduce it again.

I hear that Filgrasting (G-CSF or neutropin) can boost the white cell count. Has anyone been taking this? I am trying to justify to the docs that I would rather fight hard for 6 months then reduce the meds again and raising the chance of this coming back. I am 34, stage III, single mom with two young children. Short term pain for long term gain is my motto.

Any thoughts?

Sharon

michele

low white cell counts

Postby michele » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:02 am

I had an issue with white cell counts also. I had to wait a month between treatments once and then they put me on Neulasta. It has really helped. I have not been delayed again due to white counts.

Good luck and keep fighting.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Rochelle

Low white blood cell counts

Postby Rochelle » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:37 am

Sharon

For the past 4 weeks I have been juicing (kale, spinach, beets, carrots, apples, ginger, cabbage, broccoli and wheatgrass) eliminated sugar, eating more eggs and haven't had problems with white blood cell or platelet counts-possibly strengthening my immune system? This is only MY experience and don't want to come across as telling everyone to juice in order to avoid low counts.
I have been taking low doses of Neupogen for four days following chemotherapy treatments but it had not been effective until I had changed my diet. The Onocology Pharmacist insisted on a higher dosage prior to my juicing strategy, but I am now able to stay on the lower dosage of Neupogen and have success with the white blood cells.

I wish you the best; do what works for you

Rochelle :D

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi Sharon

I had trouble with white counts from about my 6th treatment on. They tried Neulasta first and that shot my white count over 300! They put me on Neupogen for 10 days starting the day after the pump came off until the next treatment began. Then they did it like this after each treatment until I was done with my 12 treatments. It worked just great!! I really noticed a difference in my energy level.

Hope this helps!!

Hugs Peg

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:39 am

i had the same issue a couple of weeks ago so they just postponed my session by 1 week which seemed to do the trick.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:52 pm

My WBC was down last time and they tried delaying my treatment by a week. It was still down, so they gave me Neulasta. It's making me achy, but hopefully it will work. If I can get my treatment on Monday, it will have been four weeks instead of two. They told me almost everyone has to have some adjustment in dose or schedule becasue of counts. This next treatment will be my sixth, so it seems it's about the same time other folks have been having the same issues.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”