Why not RFA ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KWT

Re: Why not RFA ?

Postby KWT » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Laura, he recommended maint. Chemo adapt. 3mm in three years? If it even is cancer you'll outlive that little sucker.

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks Kenny. Sounds good to me!
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

Mastan

Postby Mastan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:20 am

BrownBagger wrote:
As to docs favoring their own speciality, I think that's natural and to be expected. I think from the doc's perspective, you're sitting in his or her office because someone decided their approach was the best one for your particular problem. So I wouldn't expect them to think too far out of their own specialty when it comes to your case. That said, I was impressed that my IR doc, Solomon, took the time to review my case history with me--presumably to satisfy himself that I was a good candidate for his services before poking that big needle through my ribcage.

I am slowly but surely coming to the conclusion the second opinions and more possibly are very important to reaching a consensus on the right approach for complex situations. Two years ago I met with a radiation onc at a very respected cancer center in California. His opinion was there was nothing to do but chemo for me. I sent the same information to a surgeon in Germany and he said I was a good candidate for surgery. I went to Germany had the surgery and now have 14 less lung mets than i started with. So my conclusion is to get second and possibly more opinions to try for a consensus opinion. I simply have lost faith in the experts if there is no consensus on what to do. That said, the next problem is where to go for consensus opinions. Even in the major centers I am not sure if the drs. consult with one another on each case or one is simply getting a personal opinion from one dr. at that institution. I am going on because of the dex I had today.

Mark
Dx 6/2010 rectal CA

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:20 am

Mark, how long did you have to stay in Germany? I know you're not allowed to fly for some time following lung surgery. Good opportunity to tour Europe by train, I'd wager.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:31 am

More than enough time to rent a porsche and tour the autobahn :shock: fuckin eh! :twisted:

I know I asked you Eric butt you had successful RFA no? How was it compared to surgery in terms of recovery?

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 am

I don't know how successful it was, Kenny, as I got a recurrence at one of the RFA sites, butt it was an in-and-out-in-one-day deal. Checked in in the morning and spent that night in a hotel. Nothing to it.

They do knock you out (they got some good dope at MSKCC), but I had no pain or other post-procedure issues, and returned home upstate the next day. Paying for the hotel room was the most painful part of the whole ordeal.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Mastan

Postby Mastan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:33 pm

BrownBagger wrote:Mark, how long did you have to stay in Germany? I know you're not allowed to fly for some time following lung surgery. Good opportunity to tour Europe by train, I'd wager.

I was there for 10 days for the right lung and 2 months for the left lung. The left lung did not heal well because of prior SBRT to that lung. Having SBRT on that lung was a big mistake. Of course hindsight is 20/20. However even with a chest tube in for a month i did a lot of local sight seeing. I was right outside the Black Forest. It was quite scenic. I was there long enough to experience the season change from Spring to Summer.

Mark
Dx 6/2010 rectal CA

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”