Where can I get mistletoe extract injection in us?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Meili

Where can I get mistletoe extract injection in us?

Postby Meili » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm officially a colon cancer patient today and I have been reading this amazing site for the past couple days. I learned a lot and felt better prepared when GI told me the cancer news today. I heard a lot of good things about mistletoe extract. Anyone knows where can I get it in US? I wish to give it a try! Or can I purchase it from Europe or Canada? Many thanks!!!
12/03/14 Colonoscopy found 5cm tumor in Sigmoid Colon Female 56Y
12/10/14 Biopsy Positive
01/06/14 Colon Resection 6 inches removed. Tumor size 4x3x1.5 cm. Stage 2 Colon Cancer.

bitchslapped

Re: Where can I get mistletoe extract injection in us?

Postby bitchslapped » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:23 pm

You can try typing mistletoe or mistletoe extract in the search box which will lead you to previous discussions about this. The search box is a very useful tool for learning here. There may be someone come along that can answer your questions, but in the meantime you can try your own search to see what you come up with.

Best Wishes
bitchslapped
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

singingholly

Postby singingholly » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:48 am

Cb75, Carmen, should know. Try and ask her...
Dec2011 sigm IIIst res T3N1(2/18)M0 Xelox
Oct2012 5liv.mets Dec 2012 liv.res
Jan2013 1liv.met Folfiri+avastin
Jul2013 liv.res Folfiri+/av
Feb2014 10+2lu.mets & 1abd node Folfoxiri+SBRT
Sep2014 Res rx l. BUT spot on diaph:SBRT
Dec2014 3+6lu.mets.Immuno

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:09 am

Hello and welcome to the board. I know you are nervous about the couple of week wait, but you don't need to be. Unless (as someone else mentioned) you are obstructed, there is no emergent rush, and no, your cancer is NOT spreading crazily while you are waiting. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MISTLETOE, OR ANY OTHER ALTERNATIVE MEDICATION, UNTIL YOU HAVE MET AND SPOKEN WITH YOUR ONCOLOGIST. A number of things that would appear to be totally harmless cannot be mixed with chemo. Don't take anything on your own until you have had a chance to speak with your onc.

A lot will be happening, planning wise, for you in the next several weeks, and those plans may change before anything actually happens. Try as best you can to go with the flow. Visit here as you wish and it will be our pleasure to support and encourage you, and offer advice when we're able, though we will always refer you back to your docs for medical questions.

One day at a time, one step at a time, and don't forget to B-R-E-A-T-H-E. Many will tell you: It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Welcome again. Wishing you all the best,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:02 am

Totally agree with Bev.....do not take ANYTHING on your own without discussing it with your oncologist. Mine did not wanting me taking supplements, have any flu or pneumonia injections and other things while I was having chemo.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

O Stoma Mia

Itemizing your medications and supplements ...

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:24 am

Bev G wrote:... A number of things that would appear to be totally harmless cannot be mixed with chemo. Don't take anything on your own until you have had a chance to speak with your onc... Bev

I, too, agree totally with Bev. This basic fact is documented in a number of places in books, articles and on the Internet.

Here is one example:

Herbal products
Herbal products are medicines derived from plants. They are used as supplements to improve health and well being, and may be used for other therapeutic purposes. Herbal products are available as tablets, capsules, powders, extracts, teas and so on.

Herbal medicines are thought to be safe as it is natural, but in fact it can cause serious adverse effects and interaction with other drugs and supplements.

Reference: http://www.drugs.com/drug-class/herbal-products.html

This advice applies to both chemotherapy and surgery. There are herbal products that can cause serious problems with chemotherapy and there are also herbal products that can cause serious complications with surgery. And that's not all. Some herbal products can cause problems with lab test results and with diagnostic procedures, too.

The standard advice, then, is for you, the patient, to prepare a complete list of all the medicines, vitamins, supplements, herbal products, over-the-counter remedies, etc., that you are currently taking or have taken in the recent past and discuss this entire list with your doctor. The doctor may (or may not**) know whether any of the items on the list will pose a problem for whatever medical procedures they have lined up for you.

=====
(Edited)
    ** Note: In his book, "Life Over Cancer", Dr. Keith Block addresses this issue in Chapter 23 in the section entitled, "Approaches to Natural Medicine -- Combinations to avoid". On page 477 he says:

"If your oncologist is not familiar with nutrient-drug interactions, find an expert in integrative care, a pharmacist, a naturopath, or a nutritionist who is..."
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skypup

Re: Itemizing your medications and supplements ...

Postby skypup » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:45 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:The standard advice, then, is for you, the patient, to prepare a complete list of all the medicines, vitamins, supplements, herbal products, over-the-counter remedies, etc., that you are currently taking or have taken in the recent past and discuss this entire list with your doctor. The doctor will know whether any of the items on the list will pose a problem for whatever medical procedures they have lined up for you.

Just don't count on your MDs to be knowledgeable about treatments, herbal or otherwise, that are not part of standard treatment protocols. Most often, if they are not familiar with something they just say not to take it (they almost have to, really.) That goes for emerging treatments within standard medicine as well, such as cimetidine, metformin and celebrex. There are good NDs and other professionals that you may want to consider consulting with if you are inclined to further investigate things such as mistletoe.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:52 am

Skypup wrote:...Just don't count on your MDs to be knowledgeable about treatments, herbal or otherwise, that are not part of standard treatment protocols. Most often, if they are not familiar with something they just say not to take it (they almost have to, really.) That goes for emerging treatments within standard medicine as well, such as cimetidine, metformin and celebrex. There are good NDs and other professionals that you may want to consider consulting with if you are inclined to further investigate things such as mistletoe.

Thanks, Skypup. You're right. I shouldn't have phrased it like I did. I'll go back into my post in EDIT mode later on and try to figure out how to say it better.

Actually, now that I think about it, I know this to be the case because of something I remember happening over two years ago when I showed my list to the surgeon. He looked over the list and came to one item there and asked me, "What's this?", and I told him. Then he asked me, "What's it for?", and I told him that, too. Then he told me that I should probably stop taking it. Later on, I checked it in the Drug Interactions Checker and I found out, to my surprise, that that particular supplement interacts with over 700 different medications, including a couple that had been administered to me during my LAR surgery!

skypup

Postby skypup » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:07 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote: Later on, I checked it in the Drug Interactions Checker and I found out, to my surprise, that that particular supplement interacts with over 700 different medications, including a couple that had been administered to me during my LAR surgery!

Yes, OSM, I have found similar things! I guess our big lesson is to be proactive and research for ourselves; ask for our doctor's help; and never forget to check interactions for anything! I even found a moderate interaction my onc didn't even know about between two drugs I was prescribed. This is quite the learning process...

sailbd

Postby sailbd » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Dr. Diaz at Johns Hopkins was going to or did a study/trial on mistletoe. I believe there is a Johns Hopkins Youtube video out there on the topic. You may wish to check directly with Hopkins but, as others have already stated, follow the directions of your oncologist if you're currently undergoing treatment. Best advise is to seek treatment at a NCI accredited medical center! Good luck.

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Personally I would save the mistletoe for the doorway at Christmas until standard treatments are ineffective. I wonder how the body would deal with to many different things being introduced. That being said I don't know anything about mistletoe but the more I look in to alternatives the muddier the waters become. Good luck with the mistletoe if you proceed

Meili

Postby Meili » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks everyone. The reason I'm so interested in mistletoe is because it can help prevent Surgery-Induced Cancer Metastasis. I will have the surgery in a few weeks and would like to get any tips about what to do before surgery. Many thanks!
12/03/14 Colonoscopy found 5cm tumor in Sigmoid Colon Female 56Y
12/10/14 Biopsy Positive
01/06/14 Colon Resection 6 inches removed. Tumor size 4x3x1.5 cm. Stage 2 Colon Cancer.

skypup

Postby skypup » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Are you aware of cimetidine/Tagamet use for just this case? It has been proven in official studies and most docs are aware of and open to it. I wish I had known about it! Do a search and you'll find the details. If you start a new topic asking about it, many folks can help fill you in. It's good stuff -- very low cost and toxicity.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”