signet ring cell

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jsw7302013

signet ring cell

Postby jsw7302013 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:25 pm

I just joined the forum & I'm so happy to hear of a 6 year signet ring cell colon cancer survivor!
There is so little information out this rare form of colon cancer. The research usually indicates poor prognosis.
I was diagnosed in July 2013 @ age 58 with a large stage IIb signet ring cell tumor, microsatellite instability & poorly differentiated I had resection Aug. 2013. No additional treatment recommended. Returned to work 9 weeks later.

Planning on living a long, cancer free life. Any & all encouragement welcome.
60 year old female
Dx: signet ring cell tumor in cecum, stage IIb,
no lymph involvement, Lynch negative
no perineural invasion, microsatellite instabilitiy
right hemicolectomy with resection 8/13
no follow up treatment

chp

Re: signet ring cell

Postby chp » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi! I was happy to hear from that 6 yr survivor, and from you too, there aren't a lot of signet ringers around. I have 2a colon cancer and have signet ring cell. My surgery was Sept. 2012, and so far all is good!
Cathy
57 yr old female
Dx CC Sept 2012
Resection surgery Sept. 19, 2012
T3 N0 MX. Signet ring cell
Started Xeolda Nov 14
Tiny spots on lungs on 1yr scan. Watching

Dori W
Facebook Username: Dori Woodhouse

Postby Dori W » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi,

I am almost never on here any more, but this post caught my eye. I am unable to access the forum with my old login (not sure what happened), but I was much more active a few years ago under "Dori."

I was diagnosed with Stage 3c signet ring cell colon cancer in May, 2008 and I am still doing well. I had fourteen positive lymph nodes, poorly differentiated pathology, etc. I never thought I would make it this far, since everything I read emphasized the poor prognosis of this type of cancer, but I'm still here, I'm happy to say!

I am glad you are doing well.

Take care,
Dori
Diagnosed stage 3C signet ring colon cancer in May, 2008
14 out of 18 positive lymph nodes
Final treatment in November, 2008
NED ever since
I used to have an account under "Dori," but I've lost access to it.
You can view my old posts here: search.php?author_id=1446&sr=posts

jsw7302013

Postby jsw7302013 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:34 pm

chp & dori w: So happy to hear about your continued good health for years after SRC CC. Thanks so much for sharing your good news.
60 year old female
Dx: signet ring cell tumor in cecum, stage IIb,
no lymph involvement, Lynch negative
no perineural invasion, microsatellite instabilitiy
right hemicolectomy with resection 8/13
no follow up treatment

mfox50
Facebook Username: Michelle Kennan Fox

Postby mfox50 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:14 am

I'm new to Colon Club as well... glad to see a few signet ring survivors... I've found it very hard to find information since SRC is so rare. My husband was diagnosed recently with stage IVb signet ring colon cancer. His tumor was just below the cecum with 4 positive lymph nodes and seeding throughout the peritoneum. He's currently in the midst of 6 rounds of FOLFOX after which we hope he will have de-bulking surgery and HIPEC. Right now at least he is a good candidate as he has no other metastasis, so we hope that continues so that we can gain more time with the aggressive surgery. He is 49 and we have 3 children... aged 9, almost 13 and 15, so he is determined to get as much time with them as possible.
Would love to hear any advice you may have for a newbie.

thank you!
Michelle
Wife to Neal DX age 49 11/14/14
http://www.carepages.com/carepages/nealsupdates
Stage IV signet cell CC - peritoneal mets & 4/10 nodes
right hemicolectomy 11/19/14
6 rounds FOLFOX 12/10/14
CTR & HIPEC 4/16/15
6 rounds FOLFOX w/avastin

dp21

Postby dp21 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Hello I read on another post you commented and cannot send you at pm yet. My Great grandma is 83 and we have just found out this Friday she has stage 4 colon cancer. You mentioned your mother I believe had colon cancer and did two round of chemo and 5fu. If you don't mind informing how that went and what advise you have. My great grandma also has diabetes.
Thank you so much!

mem101883

Postby mem101883 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:16 am

jsw7302013 wrote:I just joined the forum & I'm so happy to hear of a 6 year signet ring cell colon cancer survivor!
There is so little information out this rare form of colon cancer. The research usually indicates poor prognosis.
I was diagnosed in July 2013 @ age 58 with a large stage IIb signet ring cell tumor, microsatellite instability & poorly differentiated I had resection Aug. 2013. No additional treatment recommended. Returned to work 9 weeks later.

Planning on living a long, cancer free life. Any & all encouragement welcome.

Hello @jsw7302013 - my mom was just diagnosed in August with Signet Ring Cell cancer - they found it during a hysterectomy and are identifying primary site as somewhere near the appendix or cecum... We are looking for anyone with information about treatment options for this - could you help me or talk further??? Thank you!

mem101883

Postby mem101883 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:19 am

Hi Dori - my mom was just diagnosed this past August with Stage 3/4 signet ring cell cancer - currently treating it with colorectal chemo infusions & pills - could I talk to you about your experience with this diagnosis & ask for some help in trying to help my mom fight & beat this cancer?
Thank you!

michellecairn
Facebook Username: Michelle Pulera

Postby michellecairn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:59 am

Hi - I just wanted to say that I too was diagnosed with signet ring cell carcinoma in October 2015. They originally told me I had/have peritoneal carcinotomas, but the primary site is in the colon. I do have the tumors on my perinotneum and an ovary. They say there is a mass in my transverse colon, but no one has been able to tell me "how big" the mass is. I've yet to work up the courage to ask the doctor my stage but I'm guessing it's III or IV.

I was originally started on folfirinox (oxaliplatin, ironotecan,5-fu, and leucovorin). I was allergic to the ironotecan. So they dropped it. At round 3 of chemo they added the Avastin. I'm finishing up round 5 of chemo today, and I'm supposed to get new CT scans after round 6 of chemo. I haven't had a scan since I was diagnosed.

After talking with my dr on Monday, she says I'll be getting chemo for a long time, and that she will challenge me again with the ironotecan but that would have to be done in the hospital to monitor me closely since I had the reaction to it. I did ask about a hysterectomy because of the ovary involvement, and I asked about the HIPEC procedure. She then mentioned colon resection, basically for the first time since my diagnosis. But obviously until I get the scan things are up in the air.

I too have noticed there isn't much information on signet ring cell, I'm not glad that anyone else has it, but it's a comfort to know I'm not the only one.

Best of luck to everyone and never give up hope!
Stage IV
DX: 10-7-15 colon cancer (signet ring cell)
CEA: 10-4-15: 9.5, 2-8-16: 42.5, 3-7-16: 22.6, 5-26-16: 18.8, 7-27-16: 14.3, 10-20-16: 21.1
abnormal MSH6 and BARD1
KRAS: wild type
MSI High
Lynch positive
11-16-15: 1 round Folfirinox/5FU, 5 rounds folfox/5FU , 4 with Avastin
2-8-16: Chemo not working
3-7-16: back to folfox/Avastin/5FU
3-24-16: Keytruda
2-23-17: FAILED Keytruda
3-2-17: Erbitux
3-30-17: Erbitux + Irinotecan
5-25-17: FAILED Erbitux + Irinotecan

mfox50
Facebook Username: Michelle Kennan Fox

Postby mfox50 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:35 am

I've only found a handful of signet ring families myself...

First of all, I am SO sorry that you and your family are going through this awful experience. As I'm sure you have already learned, SRC is rare and very aggressive. Such a frightening diagnosis to get :(

My husband, Neal, is actually doing really well now... he had his initial surgery at diagnosis in November 2014. After recovering from that he did 3 months of folfox, and the had the cytoreductive (de-bulking surgery) and HIPEC procedure this past April. Recovery was long and hard, but honestly not as bad as I had read. All things considered it was much smoother than I anticipated with only one complication where he developed an abscess in his abdomen and had to be readmitted to treat the infection. A few months after surgery he restarted chemo with Folfox and Avastin, finishing up in September.

Since then, he's gradually regaining stamina, and feeling relatively good. So far his scans look pretty good too ... next scans will be in February.

If anyone is interested in more details, I do have a blog set up for those following along:

We used Dr. Laura Lambert at UMass in Worcester, MA for the surgery and HIPEC. Can't recommend her enough. She was absolutely amazing and so incredibly compassionate. Worth the travel from PA for sure if you're shopping around. You can stay for free in the Hope Lodge near the hospital campus.

I will most certainly keep you and your mom in my prayers, and wish you all the best! Feel free to email anytime, or connect on Facebook too (Michelle Kennan Fox).

All the best,
Michelle
Wife to Neal DX age 49 11/14/14
Stage IV signet cell CC - peritoneal mets & 4/10 nodes
right hemicolectomy 11/19/14
6 rounds FOLFOX 12/10/14
CTR & HIPEC 4/16/15
6 rounds FOLFOX w/avastin

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:42 pm

I am a newbie signet ring- mine was a combination of adenocarcinoma with some signet ring- so it was not called signet ring carcinoma but rather adenocarcinoma with some signet. My docs have not clung to that detail, even though i asked everyone a million times if i have to have more aggressive treatment. I think basically there isn't anything better suited for this type of cell, they treat it like any other. Anyway, i know two people on this forum with signet (besides the people who already posted) who are 7+ years NED, so i'll keep my hopes up.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

Snapfish

Postby Snapfish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:40 pm

Lydia666 wrote:I am a newbie signet ring- mine was a combination of adenocarcinoma with some signet ring- so it was not called signet ring carcinoma but rather adenocarcinoma with some signet.

Glad to see there are other CRC SRCers here as well, and I am thrilled to hear that some folks are long-term survivors. My father was diagnosed with "adenocarcinoma with signet ring cell features" in September 2015. He's stage IV, primary is in the sigmoid colon with peri mets.

He's doing FOLFOX now, and doing quite well. He is 7 rounds in and will get scans again after #8. (PET after #4 showed no progression, which was good.). CEA has dropped from 15.1 at baseline to 5.8 at the blood draw before #7. We are still waiting on all the biomarkers but hope to have them soon.

Talking to HIPEC surgeons but not sure we will go that route even if offered, as my father is 70 years old. We do, however, want the freakin' offer. :D

And yes, one day I will make a signature block. Been lurking and learning, but the signet ringers drew me out.

Snapfish
Daughter to 70-year old father dx 2015-Sept-28: Stage IV adenocarcinoma with signet ring cell features
Sigmoid colon primary with peri mets
MSS; RAS wild-type; mutation in exon 8 of p53

2015-Oct: Began FOLFOX-6 at MDA; CEA was 15.1 at baseline
2016-Feb: CEA 5.7; 10 full rounds of FOLFOX-6 completed
2016-Mar-3: Began FOLFIRI
chemo, chemo, chemo
2017-Jan: Total of 29 cycles of chemo down. Back on FOLFOX again after FOLFIRI fail. CEA now 118.

esscape
Facebook Username: Damla Sahin

Postby esscape » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:18 am

My sister was diagnosed with signet ring cell Rectal Cancer in november 2015. I've been looking every medical journal for information but the only thing i get is poor prognosis. Our doctors are treating her with the same way that they treat normal adenocarcinomas.
I'll keep digging because there got the be some answers for this rare type of cancer.
My Sister dx @ age 36 Ultra Low Rectal Cancer(signet ring cell) November 2015
Finished 5 weeks rad/5FU January 2016
History of Ulcerative Colitis 1998-2008
History of Crohn's Disease 2008
APR surgery April 2016
Permanent colostomy April 2016
Path report: T3N2M0 stage 3c
Started adjuvant chemo Xelox

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:31 pm

esscape wrote:My sister was diagnosed with signet ring cell Rectal Cancer in november 2015. I've been looking every medical journal for information but the only thing i get is poor prognosis. Our doctors are treating her with the same way that they treat normal adenocarcinomas.
I'll keep digging because there got the be some answers for this rare type of cancer.

I think it depends on the stage. I know several signet ring survivors, but they only had a couple of nodes involved.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

esscape
Facebook Username: Damla Sahin

Postby esscape » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 am

Hello Lydia666,
Thank you for your reply. On her MRI Report it says 2 lymph nodes enlarged but on her Pet/ct report there is no lymph node involved. We are confused. Her doctors said we should wait for the path report after her surgery. Waiting is so hard.
My Sister dx @ age 36 Ultra Low Rectal Cancer(signet ring cell) November 2015
Finished 5 weeks rad/5FU January 2016
History of Ulcerative Colitis 1998-2008
History of Crohn's Disease 2008
APR surgery April 2016
Permanent colostomy April 2016
Path report: T3N2M0 stage 3c
Started adjuvant chemo Xelox

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”