The Truth about Cancer series

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nodak

The Truth about Cancer series

Postby Nodak » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:51 am

I'm wondering if anyone has watched this series and if so what you think about this. http://thetruthaboutcancer.com/live/replay.php You can view it until Dec 2nd for free.

http://links.mp2200.com/click/115064/50 ... 7771b098cf
02/13 Stage IV cc liver KRAS +
folfox,avastin
5/13 ben brain tx
6/13 DVT /PE
09/13 Liver res
11/13 recur Folfiri w/iranotecan
1/14 lung
6/14 CEA 203
7/14 CEA 998
8/14 CEA 1126 Stivarga H F synd
9/14 CEA 1706 Xeloda w/oxilaplatin 12/14 Fail

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Re: The Truth about Cancer series

Postby Val*pal » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:11 pm

I just glanced at the web page, but it simply looks like someone's attempt to make money.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:34 pm

Val*pal wrote:I just glanced at the web page, but it simply looks like someone's attempt to make money.

I don't know a lot about the series, but from what I know it sounds just like a way for someone to make money. :twisted:
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:37 pm

I watched it a month ago. When they offered it free...out of all the cancer gimmicks on the Internet. This was rather informative...for those of you interested in alternative treatment/herbs. They Interviewed different alternative doctors about everything from healthy foods, supplements and herbs. I've been tricked into listening for hours different sites where they claim to have the cure for cancer and never tell you Anything unless you purchase something. Since this is free...you do learn/discover possible "cures" to fight against cancer. I listened to about all the chapters and being a female, I've discovered some new information.that I'm sure might help me.
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

wrend

Postby wrend » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:51 am

Someone just sent me The Truth About Cancer site. I found this website that might be helpful to someone wondering about it. Science Based Medicine:
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/th ... ut-cancer/
Wendy
Dx: RC 12/15/15, Age 57
Stage IIIB T3N1M0, 2 lymph nodes
G2: moderately differentiated
6 cm mass, 50% circumferential
7-13 cm from anal verge
Adenocarcinoma, MSS
CEA 5
Xeloda/IMRT 1/25/16 -2/26/26
uLar 5/11/16
pT3N0M0
0/13 lymph nodes
8 rounds Oxi/Fu5 6/16/16-9/21/16
CEA 1.2 10/15/16
Reversal 11/10/16

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm

i think eastern and western medicine can be combined if the doctors work together. i have used chemo and chinese herbs together and my oncos have always been ok with that. i have been on an immune boosting herb for years and never need any of those nasty shots like neulasta or the other ones which i was given after my very first chemo then refused them after that as it caused horrible spine pain i made up my mind those shots were evil and found alternative. maybe it is a fluke or maybe there is something to it but ten years later with stage 4 im still here! but i would not have ever dumped chemo for apricot seeds thats for sure.

missjv

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 pm

I don't watch or believe crap unless it's from a creditable source (like DKs posts)

OrchardWriting

Postby OrchardWriting » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:06 am

I went through the website and very quickly came to believe it is a total scam. They say chemo is a conspiracy and people don't need it. Not great advice.

I agree, stick only with credible sources. There's a lot of people willing to take advantage of our fear.
Diagnosed with stage III rectal tumor (though probably late stage II) January 2006.
Chemo/Radiation
Full APR Surgery
Folfox Chemo
So far NED.
Ooops. Liver tumor diagnosed 10/13 after elevated CEA. Liver resection for 5cm tumor 12/6/13.

OrchardWriting

Postby OrchardWriting » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:10 am

Also, there's another thread about the documentary Emperor of All Maladies. This is truly good and fact/science based. Well worth watching.
Diagnosed with stage III rectal tumor (though probably late stage II) January 2006.
Chemo/Radiation
Full APR Surgery
Folfox Chemo
So far NED.
Ooops. Liver tumor diagnosed 10/13 after elevated CEA. Liver resection for 5cm tumor 12/6/13.

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:35 am

I watched the series in its entirety when it was originally released because it happened at the same time as my Dx. Due to watching it and watching several Chris Wark videos, I was convinced I could beat this without going the conventional route. I was HIGHLY opposed to chemo at the time of my Dx, and for several weeks afterwards.

While watching TTAC, even as I was trying to get on board with going all natural, something about Ty Bollinger bugged me. I'm sorry, but he came across as, for lack of a better word, hokey. And he never mentioned the specific types or stages of the cancers his family members had. I thought that was a gross oversight. Similarly, some of the people interviewed gave scant details about their diagnoses.

There's a chiropractor featured prominently in the series, Dr. Rashid Buttar, who I researched. He's been sued for fraud. While I realize a lot of the alternative practitioners can, and have been, unfairly targeted, reading up on him gave me pause.

http://www.casewatch.org/civil/buttar/complaint.shtml

(And don't even get me started on Stansilaw Burzynski. His fees are insane & treatments highly questionable. There's a wealth of info on him as well, much of it provided by former patients who at first adored him.)

I understand, too, that because these practitioners and clinics are outside of the conventional realm and don't / can't accept insurance, the cost of their treatments cannot therefore be covered. There was a clinic in Mexico (I can't recall the name now) and I reached out to one of their cured patients. She was very pleasant on the phone, and explained that treatment could initially cost $50,000. When I explained I didn't have that, she suggested borrowing against a life insurance policy. To me, that seems very sketchy. I mean, I KNOW there are no guarantees, even with conventional treatments, but the idea of going to a foreign country and spending that kind of money, not to mention who knows how long you'd have to stay & be away from work & family, that just didn't sit well with me.

Bottom line: I think the series had some good information to offer, but the overall message of "chemo bad, alternative treatments good" is irresponsible. As others have mentioned, I believe a combined, integrative approach is best. And let's face it: who really has the time and money to travel to far away lands for the kinds of therapies suggested in the series? Overall: thumbs down. Watch with a discerning & skeptical eye. Just sayin'.
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 am

i think as i said before in my own experience eastern and western medicine used together can really help. if iv vitamin c in mexico cured cancer we would all be lined up trying to get in the door. i do chinese herbs and acupuncture since diagnosis in 2006 and in my mind i think it has really helped with side effects and keeping my immune system strong. same with cbd oil a lot of people use with chemotherapy and seem to have good responses but for those natural doctors to try and say chemo is bad is misleading. yes chemo sucks and there are horrible side effects but a lot of us are still here because of the chemo. i know of a few people who refused chemo and ate apricot seeds and lemon water with baking soda and all kinds of other natural stuff and none of them are here today. maybe chemo would not have helped them either but they did not even try.

missjv

OrchardWriting

Postby OrchardWriting » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:51 am

Missjv,
Couldn't agree more that there is a place for, lack of a better word, alternative therapies. I used them during my own treatment. Also, my oncologist really supports an integrative medicine approach, which is one of the reasons I am so loyal.

I'd be interested to know what things you are doing.
Chemo/Radiation
Full APR Surgery
Folfox Chemo
So far NED.

AnnClare

Postby AnnClare » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:14 am

I chose my onc specifically because I knew he was in favor of integrating alternative treatments. During my initial consult with him, he brought up turmeric (which I'd already been taking at that point, and he still gives it the green light now that I'm in Tx). He's also open to acupuncture, massage (light, nothing deep right now), meditation. He's suggested a few other herbs as well, such as milk thistle (haven't started this one yet), and l-glutamine to offset any digestive issues the Tx can cause.

He's never once poo-pooed anything I've brought to his attention, only saying, "I've not heard of that" if he's unfamiliar with something. I think it's extremely important to feel comfortable with your onc. Coming from a totally anti-chemo/anti-dr mindset, I know I couldn't have just gone to some random onc who may or may not have been on board with my mentality.

I did the apricot seeds thing initially too - again, thinking "I can beat this with nature!" I'm glad I didn't stick my head in the sand. Chemo is not a day at the beach, but things could be much worse. Like my husband keeps telling me, "These dark times are temporary. Things will get better." Had I ignored my docs and done 'my own thing,' who knows what shape I'd be in today, if any!
42 yr. old female
Rectal cancer Stage 3C T3 N1 M0 - Sept 2015
28 rounds radiation w/Xeloda - Nov - Dec 2015
2/17/16 - Surgery to remove rectal tumor, lymph nodes (2/20+), ovaries & fallopian tubes, temp. ileostomy
3/28/16 - 9/26/16 -12 rounds FOLFOX w/full oxi
Ileo reversal 10/27/16; Port removed 12/1/16
Lung mets confirmed 2/6/17
March-May 2017 - brain mets; brain rad. 5/9-5/29/17

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:20 am

I use herbs called bing de ling and an herb called yang zhen hua 851 you can google both of these things and that can explain them better then i can. studies have been done on both of these things they enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy especially 5fu based chemo. i have seen these online but i would not order from amazon or somewhere like that i get mine made up by my doctor fresh each week. if you are interested in trying you need to find a traditional chinese medicine doctor near you and go through them. all of my oncologists approve i would never have done without getting the ok from them first because some herbal remedies can actually make the chemo not work but these herbs have scientific studies behind them there is some good articles on pub med you can google.

missjv

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Our foundation for colon cancer has been surgeries, daily chemo (oral 5FU drugs) w/o holidays, off label drugs and complementary adjuvants based on testing, biomarkers predictively and close monitoring. Sticking to any camp alone wouldn't make it for us. The carefully selected and tested CAM items allow cancer control without the common side effects.

I can't overemphasize marrying blood monitoring to mild treatments. Both to lock on to what works and if something goes wrong or missing.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”