Fobt positive with colon cancer in family

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Skoliv

Fobt positive with colon cancer in family

Postby Skoliv » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:11 am

Hi everyone,
I am just looking for reassurance while I wait for my exams on Friday.
My FOBT came out positive yesterday, which should not have been a shock
since I have been seeing some redness in stool for the past 2 months.
Still I hoped it was the tomatoes I had been eating or any silly thing like that.
My uncle died of colon cancer at 36 (1999), I am now almost 30 and terrified to have
what he had. I have already fought off thyroid cancer and I think one cancer per
person should be enough! And I have a beautiful one year old who needs me so much..
I have no other symptoms except maybe for weight loss (around 3 kg ) but I always
assumed it was because of all the breastfeeding. No difficulty passing stool, and great digestion,
works almost as a clock, once a day, same time.
No thin stools, no pain, no fresh blood outside of stool ( not sure that is a good thing), until August at least I was not anemic (had normal blood work done). After my thyroid cancer ( I had some complications) I started becoming a bit
hypochondriac, but had gotten better with the birth of my son.
So now I am back to anxiety, no sleep, can't eat, can't work..
And doc said he will only do a partial colonoscopy (lower part) because of my symptoms (red blood inside stool)
Do you agree? Any comments would help.

midlifemom

Re: Fobt positive with colon cancer in family

Postby midlifemom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 am

Skoliv, so sorry you find yourself in this stressful situation. I don't have a medical background so can't offer much knowledge but I have learned that stressing over things which we can't control is a waste of time. It is natural however. I try to allow myself some stress/panic time and then move on. Enjoy your beautiful one year old. Each day with a child that young is a wonderful adventure. After your exams you will hopefully be armed with enough knowledge to either put your fears to rest or to formulate a plan to deal with anything, even if the plan is for more tests. Best of luck.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Skoliv

Postby Skoliv » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for the kind words!

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:39 am

I don't understand why they will only do a partial colonoscopy - that doesn't make sense. I would definitely ask for clarification on that. Specifically - what if there happens to be cancer in the portion of your colon they don't examine? Or how will they know there isn't?

You are doing the right thing to get this checked and not put it off. For now that's all you can do. I know the worrying is hard. Try as best you can to distract yourself with other things - like your beautiful new baby.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Skoliv

Postby Skoliv » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks, you opinion really matters to me!

Of course I wished for more comments on how FOBT positive can mean so many other things and that I am probably fine (despite my family history), but I know nobady can tell me this until I do everything I have to do.. just a few more hours to wait... I promise I will come back to share the news, hopefully good ones, cause I could only find one person on the website that came back to confirm he was OK after a FOBT positive (I hear 25 % of positives are cancer or pre-cancer, which is not a great stat, but still keeps me hopeful).

meatie

Postby meatie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:37 pm

@Skoliv

Get a FULL colonoscopy. Don't settle for a half-ass (literally and figuratively) rectal exam. Also, ask for a CT scan and or PET scan.

Good luck!
Mother DX @59 8/14
cln+lvr res 9/14, stage 4
FOLOX+Avs 12-rd 10/14 to 4/15
Reoccurrence, KRAS mutant 11/15
Folfiri 18-rds 11/15-8/16
FOLFIRI with Ramicirumab 28-rds 8/17-9/18
Regorafenib 10/18-10/19
Lonsurf 10/19 onward
Folfox rechallenge 05/20
Regonivo (Opdivo+Stivarga) 08/20
External Peace 09/12/2022

mstults

Postby mstults » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 pm

It's doubtful insurance would cover a pet at this point. Is it possible they are planning to do a sigmoidoscopy instead of colonoscopy? I would not settle for anything less than a complete colonoscopy.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

manders

Postby manders » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Mom to 2 (2008 and 2018)
Diagnosed at 34, 7/9/2013
Sigmoid colon resection 7/24/2013; Stage 3b; T3 N2a; 4/14 lymph nodes
Folfox 8/28/2013 - 2/7/2014

Skoliv

Postby Skoliv » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:54 am

Ok, so doc went in 30 cm ad found a bleeding polip. He said it look benign (although very ugly to me) and I would need a colonoscopy to remove it and check the rest. He seems confident it is nothing and said I was lucky it bled so we could see it and take it out in time. I know it can still be cancer ad I could have a tumor higher up my colon, but I feel better just to have seen the origin of the blood and that doc is so confident. What are your thoughts?

Skoliv

Postby Skoliv » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:07 am

oh and yes, he did a sigmoidoscopy, I was able to watch eveything and have a moment of total panic went I saw the polyp... thankgod I will be sedated for the colonoscopy, I am such a drama queen...

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:10 am

It still infuriates me that when people have symptoms doctors only want to do a sigmoidoscopy. At least know he is doing a full colonoscopy to make sure there are no other problems. The polyp will be sent for pathology to make sure it's not cancer, but most doctors can pretty much tell by looking at these things if there's a chance it's cancer or not, so I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

Again, you are SO SMART to get this checked. If it's nothing - YEAH!!!! And share your story with others - tell them that blood in their stool is never "normal" - it needs to be checked out. The earlier these things are caught, the better your chances.

Not all polyps turn into cancer. But all colorectal cancer STARTS as a polyp. Because doctors don't know which ones will turn cancerous, they all have to be removed.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Skoliv

Postby Skoliv » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:37 am

Thank you for the response. I think what I have to do now, besides waiting for colonoscopy next Wednesday, is to keep my hypochondria under control. I am much calmer but still have bouts if doubt and panic every now and then when I think of whatever else could be found in the rest of my colon, and the biopsy result (only know in 2015!). The memory of my uncle also comes up and makes me so sad (needless to say my father is also in panic about this).
But I am soooo thankful to you all, I don't think I would have done anything about my bleeding any time soon if I hadn't read your stories in this forum. Sometimes hypochondria paralyses you instead of making you do the right thing. Thank you!

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:29 am

Skoliv, I became very anxious about health after my liver resection and take an anti anxiety med for it. That's something you might consider. A small dose won't cause any concerns with caring for your child, driving, etc.

If this all comes back fine, since you've had that polyp, I am quite sure they'll do another colonoscopy next year then maybe go to 3 years but with you already having had cancer and the history in your family, don't EVER let them push you to 10 years!
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Skoliv

Postby Skoliv » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks, I will consider medication, or at least therapy... I have to admit this amount of stress is not OK.

Skoliv

Postby Skoliv » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:35 pm

I already posted this but for some reason it didn't show.
I am terrified cause they removed a 4cm polyp in sigmoid!! 4cm!!! I am so sure I have cancer! I am freaking out like crazy.
Doc said he still thinks it is not cancer yet, from it's appearance , but I didn't feel him as confident as last time we spoke.
I am shaking all over. 7 to 15 days until biopsy is ready. I will most probably die of concern before that!
Can a polyp be as aggressive as a full blown tumor? It still looks like a polyp even though is it big. Is that a good sign?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”