ADAPT - Dr. Lin ONGOING Thread

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sophy

Re: ADAPT - Dr. Lin ONGOING Thread

Postby Sophy » Tue May 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks, CB and Skypup.

CB I hope your visit goes well and Dr Lin comes up with a good plan for you. Could you let him know that people like me who aren't his patients really appreciate him sharing information with our oncologists. It is very kind and helpful of him.

Sophy
dx T3N1M0 Feb 2011 when children age 11, 7 and 2
Xeloda/rad March 11, LAR June 11 temp ileo
Xelox 6 rounds, NED
Lung mets Oct 13
Laser surgery Germany Jan 14. 3 mets left lung.
Laser surgery UK Jun and Aug 14 one met each lung, NED
Aug 14 Started Xeloda and Celebrex (ADAPT)
June 20 CT shows nodule, bronchoscopy confirms is scar tissue, still NED
Dec 20 stopping Xeloda continue celebrex, cimetedine
Aug 21,March 23 scans show still NED
March 2023 CURED - discharged from Oncology, no more scans or follow up

edi12

Postby edi12 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello!

Could someone please advise me the best way to contact Dr. Lin? ( I didn't find his email and phone number to contact him)

We're going to see my wife's onco tomorrow and I'd like to ask him if could be a good idea introduce Adapt regimen after FOLFIRI / Avastin.

I think it would be a good alternative to current chemo because Adapt apparently has fewer side-effects.

Thank you all in advance.
Hugs
DW 34yo 2014
03 - dx stage IV CRC, liver mets and lungs
04 - 6 rounds of folfirinox
08 - Left side lvr resection, colectomy. Spleen, gall bladder out.
10 - Right side resection (70% liver out)
12 - lung resection
03 - Two new liver mets, too many new lung mets
05 - Folfiri + Avastin
08 - Folfox
11 - Irinotecan + Erbitux

eleven11

Postby eleven11 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi Cb, how'w your appt with Dr. Lin go?
11/11 Mom dx @ age 50 T3M0N0
2012 12 tx FOLFOX
12/13 2 lung nodules
1/14 VATS wedge
3/14-present 5FU
4/15 Lobectomy RML

justAfterTEM

Postby justAfterTEM » Mon May 11, 2015 10:09 pm

hi edi12, you can check out this post below, make sure the final extension is not .exu, the correct is .edu. Also sending you pm.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48596

edi12 wrote:Hello!

Could someone please advise me the best way to contact Dr. Lin? ( I didn't find his email and phone number to contact him)

We're going to see my wife's onco tomorrow and I'd like to ask him if could be a good idea introduce Adapt regimen after FOLFIRI / Avastin.

I think it would be a good alternative to current chemo because Adapt apparently has fewer side-effects.

Thank you all in advance.
Hugs

edi12

Postby edi12 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 am

justAfterTEM wrote:hi edi12, you can check out this post below, make sure the final extension is not .exu, the correct is .edu. Also sending you pm.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48596

justAfterTEM,

Thank you so much!
I've sent it to the onco and he promised to read about Lin's research.

Also looking forward to CB's appointment feedback.

Hugs!
DW 34yo 2014
03 - dx stage IV CRC, liver mets and lungs
04 - 6 rounds of folfirinox
08 - Left side lvr resection, colectomy. Spleen, gall bladder out.
10 - Right side resection (70% liver out)
12 - lung resection
03 - Two new liver mets, too many new lung mets
05 - Folfiri + Avastin
08 - Folfox
11 - Irinotecan + Erbitux

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:21 am

I'm back from my trip to Seattle and to see Dr. Lin. First off, Seattle was very beautiful. Secondly, Dr. Lin seems to be a very kind and responsive doctor. He seems to know quite a bit about a lot of different things and also has an innovative and aggressive approach. I enjoyed our discussion and meeting him. However, I am now left with more questions than answers. I've been battling my lungs for a few years now. I've been lucky to have a fantastic response to chemo, brining me very close to being NED again. That alone is almost a miracle given the spread of disease I had a few years ago. Things look ok, however, I do have some inflammation in my lower right lung which could be 'nothing' or 'something'. I knew this was there, but I don't know what it is. So, as you can imagine, our discussion was more attuned to what is going on with me and figuring out what to target. If the inflammation is nothing, then he can help. If it is something, I need an aggressive treatment of the plura and potential infusion into my lung tissue. We talked about potential treatments of this by way of radiation or even having my lobe removed. The good news is that my left lung, which I had 10 spots removed remains clear. He was very impressed with what Dr. Rolle in Germany did for my lungs and wanted his contact to invite him to Seattle to discuss the laser surgery and brining it to the US.

I have quite a few notes, but I haven't reviewed them yet. I"m on a chemo week, my brain is a bit off and I"m stressed. However, I did ask about adding Celebrex to FOLIFRI and Avastin, he said NO. He advised me that he would not prescribe celebrex with Avastin. He also wouldn't recommend it with FOLFIRI due to side effects and the science behind his trial. Each is individual, this is his advise to me directly. I cannot comment on anyone individual circumstances.

He also advised that he doesn't recommend Stargiva as it has shown to have hardly any benefit, if any. He was involved in the research of the drug, and doesn't like it.

There may be more, but I can't recall right now. I'll try to update once I get to review my notes.

cb <3
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

lilacbreastedroller

Postby lilacbreastedroller » Thu May 14, 2015 1:24 pm

cool!

-Karin
dx 6/1/12@45yo
RT, 4 liv, 5 lung
7/12 FOLFOX
2/13 Xeloda 4k mg/d
7/13 DC VAX,1k mg/d metro Xel
11/13 Erbi, Irino
6/14 clinical trial lirilumab, nivolumab
9/14 Stivarga
1/15 clinical trial immunotherapy (young TILs)
RT, mets to liv, lung, adrenal, lns

Julie YW
Facebook Username: Julie.yip-williams

Postby Julie YW » Thu May 14, 2015 8:07 pm

An odd response from Dr. Lin as I had understood from Andrew (who consults Dr. Lin on a secondary basis and Dr. Marshall on a primary basis) -- they are friends -- that Georgetown is launching a trial with Xeloda, Avastin and Celebrex and that in fact, Andrew is on it. Dr. Marshall likes to add Avastin but of course he's not the king of ADAPT. Maybe this info is now outdated, but this was my understanding.
DX July 2013, 37yo
12 of 68 LN
Stage IV w/ drop peri met
Folfox 8/12/13
Clean scans 1/24/14
Rising CEA 2/13/14
HIPEC 3/13/14
Folfiri 4/21/14
Recurrence in lungs 12/19/14
Xeloda & Avastin
Follow my blog: http://julieyipwilliams.wordpress.com/about/

Julie YW
Facebook Username: Julie.yip-williams

Postby Julie YW » Thu May 14, 2015 8:17 pm

I also knoTw for a fact that Dr. Kemeny at MSK is prescribing Celebrex with Folfiri and Avastin for one of her patients (who I know well personally), although she is doing so for pain potentially associated with chemo. This is whole thing is a shit show with no one, including the doctors, knowing anything and everyone flailing and scrambling around like chickens with their heads chopped off.
DX July 2013, 37yo
12 of 68 LN
Stage IV w/ drop peri met
Folfox 8/12/13
Clean scans 1/24/14
Rising CEA 2/13/14
HIPEC 3/13/14
Folfiri 4/21/14
Recurrence in lungs 12/19/14
Xeloda & Avastin
Follow my blog: http://julieyipwilliams.wordpress.com/about/

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri May 15, 2015 9:11 am

Julie YW wrote:I also knoTw for a fact that Dr. Kemeny at MSK is prescribing Celebrex with Folfiri and Avastin for one of her patients (who I know well personally), although she is doing so for pain potentially associated with chemo. This is whole thing is a shit show with no one, including the doctors, knowing anything and everyone flailing and scrambling around like chickens with their heads chopped off.

I'm taking Celebrex with Folfiri, my new onc also mentioned that it may be beneficial with full fury. I can't help but wonder if dr Lin has other reasons for not liking that combo. :roll: so celecoxib brings out the hiding cancer cells for xeloda to put the hurt to? Why would irinotecan not do the same only better?

Julie, shit show about sums it up.

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:57 pm

I agree, it seems really odd. What I can say is that, Dr. Lin's direct advice to me and my circumstance was that he would not prescribe Avastin with Celebrex, or a full on FOLFIRI, Avastin and Celebrex. It really is an individual basis. All I can account for is what he recommend to me. He said no way to adding the celebrex to my current regime, and wants me to figure out the inflammation. Then we can go from there. Its a very delicate balance in terms of immune regulators, up and down, etc. There is more than just 'adding' in celebrex, to some extent. Its a question of timing, from what I gather. However, I will say at stage iv, risks are what they are, and we need to individually weigh what the risks are and what they mean to us and our particular case.

He is getting some good results with KRAS mutants.

He also mentioned some hope for TAS 102.

cb <3
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri May 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Carmen, did he say when he thought tas would be available? He must have some idea?

In my case he said three or four rounds full fury and then adapt."shock and awe"

gator.girl

Postby gator.girl » Sun May 17, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for the update Carmen!

I agree with Julie - I think the docs don't even know and there is a lot of trial and error -

I am intrigued by Dr. Lin - I wonder why it was so important for him to have you (Carmen) go see him in person? He responded to my inquiries by email but in the end his responses were contradictory…. I first asked him about adding celebrex to Folfiri - (I am not currently on avastin) - he told me (that in my case) it was a good window to add it then when I sent him a thank you email and told him that my oncologist was on board with starting it, he responded that he wouldn't add it to my folfiri and would only use it as maintenance…. My oncologist is PI for the UF site of the nationwide Folfox + Celebrex study for Stage 3 crc - so he knows quite a bit about celebrex and he still felt it was a good idea to add it… he knows I want to be as aggressive as I can be in my treatment… now fighting with insurance to have them approve it!

Kenny TAS is now available in 29 locations - more being added
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/stu ... ocs=Y#locn

Couple of (older) studies on Folfiri + Celebrex
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18065406
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16760295
(the second one is a study in Italy that showed that adding celebrex to folfiri didn't have any benefits… was done in 2006 though)

Rachel
Dx 8/13 @ 40
Stage IV - innumerable mets to liver
12 rounds of Folfox + Avastin
8 months on maintenance
11/14 Y90 to right side of liver
01/15 Gallbladder removal and colon resection
02/15 Mets to lungs
Now on Folfiri

vilca11
Location: Moscow, Russia; Baltimore, USA 1992; Vilcabamba, Ecuador 2012

Postby vilca11 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:34 pm

Dr.Lin contradicts himself quite often. He is not fantastically coherent either. He confuses heck out of everything in his dictations, they are just horrible and might serve as an example of how medical documentation should not be.... I think, this is because he has too much of very important thoughts in his head and that interferes with his attention, verbalization, concentration, etc when it comes to things that are not that important to him (no impact to his research). He is quite obsessed with his ADAPT - it is his baby and best bet career wise.

He invites patients to see him because even off his clinical trial, they are statistically important to Dr. Lin's theory support. When he sees a patient, there is a registration and statistical occurrence of medical visit with documented parameters of the patient, where his progress will be from now on recorded even with info coming over the phone. All that is possible only if patient comes personally.... Later on this data will be analyzed and will serve personally to Dr. Lin as additional evidence/comparison in post study analyses (he can't present that part to the medical community in the context of study, since patients are off the study, but he can himself and for himself use that additional data). That is how I understand him and his work.
vilca
11/2005 CC stage 1, F,50yo@dx
Mod dif adenocar, MSS, APC, TP53, CEAs1.6-4.8
1/12 1met liver@Vena Cava, RFA, 3oxi,11 5FU
8/13 2 mets same place,SBRT
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
5/14 Nano Knife liver same 2 mets
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT
4/15 PET, 2 same mets,Cryo Liver
5/15 MJ Oil, Herbs, Suppl, ADAPT
10/15 PET, same area, doubled in size, high SUV
10/15 RH, HAI, visceral involv., no LN
2/16 red FF, 50% red dose FUDR, CEA trends up
3/16 CT, PET, MRI L.Lobe all in small tumors
4/16 No acceptable options, going home

KWT

Postby KWT » Sun May 17, 2015 6:32 pm

It's an expensive weekend, Seattle is. No silver bullets. One can quite easily add Celebrex. timing? pffft. I'm starting to not buy it. Where's the beef?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”