Clinical Trial - Round #3

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bitchslapped

Re: Clinical Trial - Round #3

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 pm

NWgirl wrote:The drug is MGD007 and the mfr. is Macrogenics and yes, it is a phase 1 trial.

I don't know if reducing the dose is an option. I always mean to ask and then when I'm there I forget.

That was what I was thinking; that it was a phase one & you are the first. So if Phase I's are to establish tolerable dosing and you have had significant reactions, I wonder why an adjustment has not been made. Just thinking out loud here. Nausea & vomiting are typical side effects lets say (but retching for a couple of hours??), but wipes you out so bad that every two weeks seems to be the limit for you right now, anyway. So if you are going every two weeks, you are getting 1/2 dose anyway. My question would be is there a reason you cannot receive a 1/2 dose administered every week & build up from that. I mean, what would the difference be? Isn't it six of one, a half dozen of the other?

I'm not sure if you have mentioned in previous posts in what form this medication is being delivered (a shot?), if you are still the only one in the trial & they think they'll have to throw 1/2 of it out or what once they open the bottle, but who cares?!
Might be worth a phone call to discuss. You are very courageous, & based on your early CEA #'s one would be encouraged that it is doing something positive for you.

Best Wishes
Bitchslapped
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

KWT

Postby KWT » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Belle are the other folks in the trial experiencing the same thing? I thought the immunotherapies had less sides effects?

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:16 pm

So far as I know there are only 2 others who have started and both have had the same side effects as I have. I was also under the impression that immunotherapy trials had less side effects. When I've mentioned that to healthcare people working on me they're surprised I had that impression. I guess you just never know.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

O Stoma Mia

MGD007 Phase 1 clinical trial

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:22 pm

NWgirl wrote:Just a brief update on round #3. I waited 2 weeks from the last infusion to get this one. Ideally they would like it weekly, but I just can't do it...

For those of you who are following the progress of Belle's clinical trial, here are some of the basics as I see them.

MGD007 is a Phase 1 clinical trial, defined in the protocol as follows:

"This is a two-arm open-label, multi-center, Phase 1 dose-escalation study to define a MTD (Maximum Tolerated Dose), describe preliminarily safety, and to assess PK (Pharmacokinetics), immunogenicity, and potential anti-tumor activity of MGD007 administered on either weekly or every three week schedules in patients with relapsed or refractory metastatic colorectal cancer."

From Belle's comments above, it looks like she is assigned to the 'weekly' group. And since this is a clinical trial, she is expected to stay in the weekly group so that proper scientific comparisons can be made at the end of the trial as to whether 'weekly' or 'every three weeks' will be the better option for drug administration once the drug is approved for general distribution. This is just my opinion, which was formed after reading some of the details of the protocol below. Other readers may have a different interpretation.

Phase 1 Study of MGD007 in Relapsed/Refractory Metastatic Colorectal Carcinoma

=====

Here are links to some of the main Colon Club posts so far concerning this trial:

Clinical Trial Journal - NWgirl's experience on the "MGD007 Phase 1 clinical trial"

Clinical Trial - Round #3

Short update on me - clinical trial

Clinical Trial - Round #2 - Updated

Clinical Trial - Round 2 - Woohoo!!!!

Clinical Trial Update - Appt. with Dr

Clinical Trial - Round 1 - Strike 1!

Clinical Trial Crossroads - Belle Piazza and MGD007

DK37

Postby DK37 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 pm

This is purely a guess but I am thinking that they may want to finish a full cycle/see CT-scans on this first dose level cohort (these first 3 patients including Belle) and then when they start the next dose cohort decide whether to potentially dose higher vs. dose more patients the same to enlarge the data set vs. potentially dose lower and/or less frequently (i.e. they in theory could decide that the first dose was already above the MTD). The protocols in clinicaltrials.gov are dynamic. They show their current plans (right now based upon pre-clinical efficacy & tox studies) but the protocols can be updated as needed based upon patient experience. Immunotherapy drugs do not automatically mean low side effects. In my eyes, their hoped for advantage is the potential for a true cure if the immune system can be successfully activated/trained to recognize a person's cancer.
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

NWgirl

Postby NWgirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 pm

I agree I'm probably on the weekly BUTT - they accommodate my biweekly schedule and completely understand I just can't do weekly - I'd be waaaay to sick. My first scan will be the first week in December regardless of how many rounds I've received.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02248805

I think this is the right link to the trial.

And many thanks to OSM for pulling these threads together so it is so well organized. I haven't done a very good job of that myself, so many thanks.
Perm Colostomy 8/11
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Wendyz4

Postby Wendyz4 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Thinking of you sweet girl. I'm so sorry your trial sux. Thank you for doing it. We love you!! Enjoy next week, xoxo
44 year old F
Dx 10/2012, T3aN2M0
Completed Xeloda/radiation 1/2013
Proctocolectomy with ileostomy 3/14/13
Future FOLFAX
Lynch positive-MSH2

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 pm

Yes, OSM, great job & thanks. That should be helpful for those of us following Belle.

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:58 pm

I don't know how anyone could go through it every week, every two weeks seems hard enough. Great news about your declining CEA, may it keep on going down, down, down. I wish that they could get your nausea under control a bit more for you. I hope that the next round is better for you.

Michelle xx
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

Sharona
Facebook Username: Sharon Rauch

Postby Sharona » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Belle,
I am having a tough time finding the words to let you know how very much I admire you and appreciate what you are doing. Your strength is an inspiration!
Much love,
Sharon
Dx CRC mets to lung, brain
Craniotomy 11/12
CyberKnife 12/12
colostomy
FOLFIRI, FOLFIRI, avastin, Zaltrap
Stivarga
Multiple brain mets.
WBR and pallative pelvic radiation
Hospice 1/21/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sharonrauch

Kathleen808

Postby Kathleen808 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Belle,
Thinking of you and pulling for you amazing one. Stay strong my friend. You're incredible.

Aloha,
Kathleen
Kathleen
DH 1/09 3c 51yr rsct
Folfx 3/09
1 l nd 9/09 Flfri Avstn
PET clr 6/10
Folfri Avstn 7/10
ND 10/10
1/11 lng mets Flfri Avastn
ND 2/12
9/12 Flfri Avastn
10/12 grwth lng mts Erbtx Avstn Irintcn
1/13 stabl
9/13 grwth
8/16/14 passed into eternal peace

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 am

DK37 wrote:This is purely a guess but I am thinking that they may want to finish a full cycle/see CT-scans on this first dose level cohort (these first 3 patients including Belle) and then when they start the next dose cohort decide whether to potentially dose higher vs. dose more patients the same to enlarge the data set vs. potentially dose lower and/or less frequently (i.e. they in theory could decide that the first dose was already above the MTD). The protocols in clinicaltrials.gov are dynamic. They show their current plans (right now based upon pre-clinical efficacy & tox studies) but the protocols can be updated as needed based upon patient experience. Immunotherapy drugs do not automatically mean low side effects. In my eyes, their hoped for advantage is the potential for a true cure if the immune system can be successfully activated/trained to recognize a person's cancer.

Agreed - The Phase 1 trial is expressly done to attempt to find the overall best dose/schedule for effectiveness.... The data for this will be used to plan the later trials if they can find a happy medium. Keep in mind - one is playing a deadly game with the immune system, and attempting to find a balance. Immunological approached to cancer treatment has been around for a long time. Uses of the Interleukins in the 80's was once thought to be the cure everyone was looking for, but it turned out although the promise was substantial, and a hand full of spectacular results were observed this didn't pan out because it nearly killed more people than it helped. Since then we have learned a LOT more about how the immune system works, and the hope is we can make immunological effects much more specific and not result in an immunological storm if you will. The problem with cancer unlike viral, and bacteriological infections treated with vaccines, is that tumors are way too much like their normal cells they come from. Where the Immune system can easily identify the difference between normal cells and invaders, they can't so easily do so against cancer.

Another thing is that with greater tumor burden comes perhaps a greater immunological response, and side effects. There are some who believe that these immunological treatments will likely result eventually in less and less side effects as one goes through them because the tumor burden will eventually become very small and the immune system will handle it much like it does a cold or the flu eventually, finally to the point that there will be no side effects at all. Think of it this way - When you haven't had a flu shot and you get the flu, you end up with a substantial viral infection. This results in a delayed response by the immune system kicking in resulting in the symptoms you see. Fever, headaches, overall achiness, and likely GI and respiratory issues. Is it the infectious agent or the immune response that you are experiencing? Usually both, but if you have a flu shot - your immune system is already primed and the effects are much less because you don't have to rally the troops as hard because the immune system has been reacting all along to keep the infection in check and under control.

They are still trying to learn a lot about how all this will actually work. Although treatments look very good even in monkeys... Their immune system is not like ours. Every species is different so interpolating from animal studies is risky. I note that this particular treatment when studied in monkey's produced no reported side effects at what the researches considered quite a high dose.

I am hopeful that you can hang in their Belle, and end up with some very good overall benefit if at all possible.... The CEA reduction sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Any other markers being watched? That is also apparently part of the trial protocol.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

NWgirl

Postby NWgirl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:34 am

First, big thanks to everyone. For supporting me, encouraging me and educating me.

I don't know if any other markers other than CEA (and CT's) are being used to measure results. I can ask.

I really appreciate those of you who better understand the science behind all this speaking up. I know it helps educate me as well as others who will read this thread and may be considering an immunotherapy trial - or be in one themselves.

Believe me when I say the support I receive here really helps give me courage to take another dose. I plan on sticking with this as long as I possibly can and hopefully get some good results from this drug.

Right now fatigue is my biggest issue. Last Thursday I think it was - (infusion was on Tuesday), I went to bed at 6 p.m. and finally forced myself to get up at 12 p.m. the next day. I could have slept longer. Weird. I just have to plan on being really tired. Similar to chemo but different too.
Perm Colostomy 8/11
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

DK37

Postby DK37 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:37 am

GrouseMan wrote:Agreed - The Phase 1 trial is expressly done to attempt to find the overall best dose/schedule for effectiveness.... The data for this will be used to plan the later trials if they can find a happy medium. Keep in mind - one is playing a deadly game with the immune system, and attempting to find a balance. Immunological approached to cancer treatment has been around for a long time. Uses of the Interleukins in the 80's was once thought to be the cure everyone was looking for, but it turned out although the promise was substantial, and a hand full of spectacular results were observed this didn't pan out because it nearly killed more people than it helped. Since then we have learned a LOT more about how the immune system works, and the hope is we can make immunological effects much more specific and not result in an immunological storm if you will. The problem with cancer unlike viral, and bacteriological infections treated with vaccines, is that tumors are way too much like their normal cells they come from. Where the Immune system can easily identify the difference between normal cells and invaders, they can't so easily do so against cancer.

Another thing is that with greater tumor burden comes perhaps a greater immunological response, and side effects. There are some who believe that these immunological treatments will likely result eventually in less and less side effects as one goes through them because the tumor burden will eventually become very small and the immune system will handle it much like it does a cold or the flu eventually, finally to the point that there will be no side effects at all. Think of it this way - When you haven't had a flu shot and you get the flu, you end up with a substantial viral infection. This results in a delayed response by the immune system kicking in resulting in the symptoms you see. Fever, headaches, overall achiness, and likely GI and respiratory issues. Is it the infectious agent or the immune response that you are experiencing? Usually both, but if you have a flu shot - your immune system is already primed and the effects are much less because you don't have to rally the troops as hard because the immune system has been reacting all along to keep the infection in check and under control.

They are still trying to learn a lot about how all this will actually work. Although treatments look very good even in monkeys... Their immune system is not like ours. Every species is different so interpolating from animal studies is risky. I note that this particular treatment when studied in monkey's produced no reported side effects at what the researches considered quite a high dose.

I am hopeful that you can hang in their Belle, and end up with some very good overall benefit if at all possible.... The CEA reduction sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Any other markers being watched? That is also apparently part of the trial protocol.

Regards,

GrouseMan

Great explanation of some of the issues GrouseMan - thanks for posting!
Thanks, -DK
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 pm

DK37 wrote:Great explanation of some of the issues GrouseMan - thanks for posting!

I'll second that.

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”