Just a brief update on round #3. I waited 2 weeks from the last infusion to get this one. Ideally they would like it weekly, but I just can't do it.
Treatment was pretty much the same - tons of anti nausea drugs, the trial drug and then check in at the hospital. The nausea/vomiting started around midnight or so - about the same amount of time it took the last time to hit me. Thankfully I didn't have any diarrhea to speak of, so that wasn't too much of a problem. I had put on a brand new bag that morning hoping the seal would hold out - and it did. I had some sort of heart monitoring device on me at all times. It only went off once when I had to go to the bathroom and empty my bag and pee - you know how much that gets your heart rate going - lol!
I think I vomited for several hours. I think I got into a big argument with a nurse over why - with a port - they had to access a vein in case something bad happened and I had to go to ICU and they would be mad if I didn't have 2 "life lines". I think I may have had some pain issues at some point (according to my friend who was with me) but for the most part, I don't remember much of what happened once - as they say - "the shit hit the fan" or something to that effect.
I ended up staying 2 days in the hospital (Tues night thru Thurs a.m.) or 3 if you want to count Tuesday as a day. On Wednesday I spent the entire day and night sleeping - I don't know how I could have slept that long, but I did, and I evidently needed it. I'll have to ask my friend to fill me in on details - I really don't remember much of what happened or what I said.
My oncologist has been checking my CEA weekly and it drops by about 5 points every week - so that's good - right!? That's what I need to see to give me the courage to do another round of this drug. But it won't be for another 2 weeks because I don't want to be sick on Thanksgiving week!