Young Colon Cancer Survivors

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MeganWaldrep

Young Colon Cancer Survivors

Postby MeganWaldrep » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:33 pm

My sister Brittany was diagnosed one month ago and she is 24 (25 this September). I moved home after living in Manhattan to "live the dream" for a couple of years. It was an amazing time and no one understood why I would move back. I felt God was pulling at my heartstrings then Britt was diagnosed almost 2 months later.

Are there any young patients and survivors who could offer encouraging stories on her website? It's www.brittanywaldrep.wordpress.com

Brittany is a survivor. Her colon hasn't been working properly since surgery but we're hopeful it will kick into gear soon.

If you have any knowledge on cancer nutrition, chemo or anything helpful...please please contact me!;-) Britt starts her second chemo round -oxaliplatin, F-5U this week. We're adding avastin later (b/c of surgery).

You guys all give me so much hope and encouragement!!!

Meg
Last edited by MeganWaldrep on Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.brittanywaldrep.wordpress.com
Please visit my sister's website and post a comment!

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Sister

Postby Edward » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:23 am

Megan,

Hello and welcome to the colonclub. You are taking so much stress off your sis in doing the research. First advice is to throw out statistics. They only tell a story of what happened in the past. Like the ghost of Christmas future, they only tell of a possibility. They don't factor in future medicines. Most of these treatments came out after 2000.

I was diagnosed with Stage IIa at age 36 in 2002. I didn't have any setbacks, but you came to the right place. As today is July 1st and the Tour de France starts, keep in mind what Lance did AFTER is diagnosis. www.laf.org GO HINCAPIE!!!
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:51 am

Megan,

Welcome to the Colon Club! As a stage IV survivor, I have learned to tune into the information I seek and tune out the other as white noise. Megan, it is important that your sister is proactive in the management of her health. I did the Folfox4 regimen with a successful right hemicolectomy and liver wedge resection. Sounds like she is on par and recieving excellent medical care. I would encourage you not to focus on the statistical data for it was established before Brit's dx and realistically does not apply to her. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

MeganWaldrep

hey Edward thanks!

Postby MeganWaldrep » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Hey Edward, I think you're so right and if I can I am going to edit my title to say "colon cancer survivors". Brittany is a work in progress I know and every day brings new hope.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the statistics but I guess at some point or another you feel the need. I'm over it now though. My only concern is getting her better and she is a strong fighter. I feel like she speaks a language that I don't now so I joined the club in an effort to find more stories of encouragment and inspiration for Brittany. This is such a journey and it's all so up and down. I'm really thankful that I stumbled upon this group. One day Brittany will be logging on here herself.

thanks again Edward,
megan

MeganWaldrep

Hey Holly!

Postby MeganWaldrep » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey Holly!

Thank you so much for keeping Brittany in your prayers! She currently doing her second 48 hours of the FOLFOX regiment. I'm surprised that so far she has had minimal side effects. She was nauseous and very sick before the chemo but the chemo regiment doesn't appear to be bothering her so much. I had read that the side effects were usually better but I guess you never know.

Thank you for your words of encouragement! There are fireworks tonight near where we live that are a huge production. My sister wants to see them if she's up to it so my family found a really cool location for her to watch.

Thanks again for your note;)

megan

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:12 pm

Meg,

You are very welcome! Keep smiling and give Brit a big hug and smooch for me!

Hugs!

Holly

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:49 am

Meg-

I loved your e-mail and how God was telling you to go home. That is so cool. I am a survivor of colon cancer. I have posted my story on page 3 of the replies. It is called "A Survivor's Story." I have also posted "Tell you story. Save a Life," which was a more recent post.
I have given up on deep fried foods and I have cut back on pop as well. I have lost weight and feel so much better.
If you want to read a GREAT book about what your sister should or should not eat, read "Cancer Battle Plan" by Anne E. Frahm. She is a stage 4 survivor (Breast Cancer, I believe) and she really outlines nutrition. The book was printed in 1993. It is SO easy to read. May God continue to bless you and your sister's recovery.

Kerry in Lowry, Minnesota

MeganWaldrep

A Survivors Story

Postby MeganWaldrep » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:44 pm

Hey Kerry,

Thanks for your note! I've already written the title and Anne E. Frahm's name down. I have literally five books to purchase this weekend-awesome!

Yes, God had been tugging at me for a while. I tried to take a couple of week long vacations to visit family but it wasn't enough. I know now why God brought me back.

Brittany is tough and young. Every day is up and down and all over the place. If it's not this, it's that and etcetera. I told my sister about The Colon Club and when she's better I hope she will be able to go online herself. We've turned her hospital room into a dormitory;) She technically does have a computer (it's the nurse's) so we snuck her on it once!

Britt wrapped up 48 hours of chemo today so we're waiting and praying for good results. I'm looking forward to reading your story!
meg
ps thank you;)

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:20 pm

Meg,

Sounds like you are up for some light reading. Please note as much as we want to know EVERYTHING about Everything...Cancer is a billion dollar industry. Everyone wants to get their piece. So the pearl I share with you, act with caution in regards to herbal, supplements and nutrition! After three long years, I have as I mentioned I have learned to tune out the white noise. Only a couple hours to go on the pump. With a couple days of rest...Brit should be ready to rebound a bit. I enjoyed perusing her blog. As for your message form God, he has a way of getting our attention. Some need a gentle something while others need a brick thrown and to knock them upside their head (Sadly, I fall into the later category). You must believe that ALL things are truly possible!

Hugs!

Holly

margotmagoo

Cancer nutrition

Postby margotmagoo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:57 am

Hi Megan,
There is a terrific book that my friend gave me called Eating Well Through Cancer by Holly Clegg & Gerald Miletello, M.D. It contains recipes, nutritional analysis, doctor's tips, etc... Another good book given to me is called SuperFoods by Steven Pratt, M.D. and Kathy Matthews. I was diagnosed in January 2006 (stage III) at the age of 40. Too many young people are being affected by colon cancer. I started chemo in Feb. after my resection and I thought at the time that I would never get through 12 treatments. I will be finishing my last chemo treatment next weekend. My family and I found a new state of normal during this time. My advice to you and your sister is to stay strong and positive. Keep life as normal as possible and don't let this disease define who your sister is. I have a huge support group and that really helps. I am always with friends and family on my good days which keeps me positive. I also have a sister who has been my big support by doing research and organizing help.....I could not have done this without her.
My best to you and your sister.

janb

Postby janb » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:36 pm

I am sorry to hear of Brittany's passing. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Traybug

Postby Traybug » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:29 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm glad that Brittany is no longer suffering. I've kept close track of your family from your website and was shocked to find that she passed so quickly. I pray that your grief be relieved by the many wonderful memories that sisters have together.

I'm thinking about you...

Tracey

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:36 am

Wow Megan, what a witness Brittany is!!!!!!!! Just came from the website to read about this beautiful person Brittany. She was so full of God's strength and love! I can only hope I have a portion of HIS love and strength showing through me too. That is my wish, prayer and goal. Please know that my prayers are with you and your family in this time of loss. You are so right though, she IS in a better place and decorating that new house of hers as we speak I bet. She is getting it ready for the rest of her family to come for an eternal visit!!

God bless you all!! Peg (Sweet Peg)

P.S. Writing this from work and it won't let me log on so in here as a guest!!! LOL

Megan

Brittany's passing and thank you

Postby Megan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:29 am

I didn't realize you all had heard that Brittany passed away. I'm truly touched that you would take the time to check up on her.

Brittany lived life to the fullest and I will miss her dearly. I know that I will keep working for cancer research. She was my best friend and my sounding board. Thank you so much for checking up on her. I am so very touched.

Sincerely,
Megan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”