Britanny Maynard

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
singingholly

Britanny Maynard

Postby singingholly » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:49 am

Goodbye Britanny. Your light shines bright like only a few do...
Last edited by singingholly on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec2011 sigm IIIst res T3N1(2/18)M0 Xelox
Oct2012 5liv.mets Dec 2012 liv.res
Jan2013 1liv.met Folfiri+avastin
Jul2013 liv.res Folfiri+/av
Feb2014 10+2lu.mets & 1abd node Folfoxiri+SBRT
Sep2014 Res rx l. BUT spot on diaph:SBRT
Dec2014 3+6lu.mets.Immuno

canadiandaughter

Re: Britanny Maynard

Postby canadiandaughter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:52 am

RIP Brittany. I hope that her death brings awareness to assisted suicide. In my country it is illegal and after watching loved ones die from different cancers and other diseases, it is a shame that we treat our dogs better then our own people.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 am

I'm so glad she was able to publicize the right to die issue. Because she was such an articulate and beautiful person, I think she has definitely generated much needed debate. I am happy that she is no longer suffering.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:34 am

It is sad she had to move to fulfill her wishes, even though Oregon is a great place to be, it would have been better to not have to do this.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

ziggymonster

Postby ziggymonster » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:27 pm

a very brave young woman....this is so sad, but if opens a sensible dialogue into assisted suicide her death will take even more meaning
DX advanced prostate cancer 2002
2014 still fighting mPca , failed surgery, radiation, hormone
DX Stage IIIa Rectal Cancer 12/12 1 of 12 nodes +
LAR permanent colostomy 1/13
Folfox 2/13 - 7/13 clear CT CEA 1.2
7/14 liver met chemo the resect in Oct
6/15 2 pos lung mets watching for now

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 pm

It has been interesting to me to read the responses of the handicapped to this type of "right". Many, many of them are not in favor of it because they know that they will be more vulnerable if this sort of this becomes socially acceptable. It is one small step from "assisting" someone to end his or her life and assisting him to make the decision to end his life. The right to die can easily become the obligation to die. I can see this occurring among those who are diagnosed with late stage cancer as well. The costs are extreme to keep someone with advanced cancer alive and it may soon be the reality that they will be "assisted" to make the decision to end their lives--whether they are ready or not.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:31 pm

One of the first things I did after being diagnosed was figure out how to end my own life on my own terms. There are plenty of viable options that don't include "obeying the law" or involving medical professionals, law enforcement or anyone else. I've since disabused myself of such thoughts (and plans), but it's not something I think anyone needs "permission" to do. It's my life and I'll decide if, when and how to end it.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

jdepp

Postby jdepp » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:59 pm

In some ways, those who disapprove of Brittany Maynard's decision remind me of those who oppose gay marriage, or interracial marriage before that, or civil rights, or what have you. They use the specter of fear and "potential harm" to an existing community as a way of denying rights to those who do not have them.

Here the idea is that if you allow people like Brittany Maynard to have access to the drugs they need to prevent unnecessary suffering, then it will somehow harm other groups -- such as the handicapped or terminally ill.

They must be willing to say this: "Brittany, I am sorry but you must die slowly, painfully, and expensively, at great burden to your family, because I think that other people might potentially be harmed in the future by the precedent you set."

The facts so far suggest that the fear-mongering is just that. Just as civil rights did not destroy the fabric of society, and interracial and gay marriage haven't harmed the institution of traditional marriage, Oregon has not begun terminating or pressuring the terminally ill to die earlier than they wish. The program has helped a lot of people avoid a terrifying end to their lives.

To my mind the upsides to aid-in-dying programs are obvious, immediate, and real: people like Maynard (and their families) get the psychological and physical relief they need. The downsides are nebulous and speculative, a matter of fantasized future injury. Judging from the way Maynard's case has been presented in the press, it hard to resist the idea that religious ideology is driving a lot of the opposition.

My two cents.
Colon dx 08 @ 41 Poorly diff. 12+ liver mets, 19/28 LN
Colon rsx /14 x Folfox-Erbitux 08-09
PVE / Liver rsx 09
Lung & LN mets 10
Folfiri, Xeloda, Avastin 10-13
Xelox, Erbitux, UFUR, TS-1, Oxi, Lonsurf 14-16
Stivarga & TIL trial 16
Brain lesion, RO688 trial 18

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:03 pm

I agree with BB and jdepp.

Sorry Laurettas but that just the Fox News talking. Lol

momof3

Postby momof3 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Well I'm not a Fox News watcher or supporter by any means, but get what Lauretta is saying. I've very recently had an experience with my mom. She did not have cancer, but other medical issues. My family felt very much forced into making decisions that the hospital felt were the right ones. I seriously felt like they withheld pain meds to force us to stop life support and they threatened to have the ethics board involved. She passed last month, but it was a horrible experience and I would never use that hospital again. I also feel like in some cases what hospice does could be considered assisted suicide without coming out and openly saying it is.

As far as Brittany goes, it is just incredibly sad that she had to leave her loved ones at such an early age.
Husband was 46 when diagnosed stage 4 aug 2012
folfox and avastin ... then surgery april 2013
mets only to paraaortic nodes
Mets to femurs and spine found Nov 2013

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:33 pm

When my dad was dying of advanced prostate cancer, they (home health care) gave him a big bottle of morphine pills and suggested that he take them for pain, but you know, don't take too many or they could kill you (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). That, in my view, is unofficial assisted suicide. And I'm all for it. They gave him (and by extension the rest of his immediate family) the means and let him (us) decide whether or not to use them.

Parenthetically, Dad sent me out one day to buy him a .38 pistol. Great, I said. Maybe I can use it after you're done. However, since he lived in Wisconsin and I'm from New York, they wouldn't sell me the gun. I think morphine is a much better way to go, and I'm sure Dad would agree.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm

@BrownBagger...same thing my neighbor's dad did who lived in Washington State. I believe he had throat cancer (nonsmoker/nondrinker btw), made his feelings to end his life known to hospice. As the story was told to me, they left him a bunch of pills warning him that if he took them all it would kill him. He chose the time, the day. This was probably 13 yrs ago or so.
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm

First of all, I got none of my knowledge about this from Fox News. Have seen very little on there about it actually. This is something I have been following for years. Here is an article explaining the position of many disabled people: http://us.cnn.com/2014/10/13/opinion/go ... index.html If you will note, this was on CNN, not Fox.

Many people ignore that which is obvious because they don't WANT to see it. If anyone followed the case of Terry Schiavo, what happened was horrific. This woman, who was NOT terminal but severely disabled and conscious, was starved and dehydrated to death because her estranged husband who was living with another woman, insisted that those were Terry's wishes. Terry's parents and siblings fought long and hard to be allowed to take Terry to their home and care for her themselves but they were denied their rights to do that. Now, those of you who have been divorced, would you be comfortable with your ex-spouse being able to make those decisions over those of your parents and siblings?

Another glaring example of the "right" to something becoming the "obligation" is the case of China and abortion. Huge numbers of women in China every year are FORCED to abort their children--right up to the time of the birth of their children. We ignore these things because we don't WANT to see them. They are happening and they are tragic.

I agree with BB. If someone wants to kill themselves, there are many ways to do it that do not require "permission". My uncle did it with a gun. You can ask me about the effect on my aunt if you want.

There is no one who is more of an advocate for alleviating suffering for those who are ill than I am. I can tell you stories of confronting the medical personnel whom I did not believe were caring for a family member's pain as well as they should have been. One time I refused to leave the ER until I got the medication that my SIL needed! When it became obvious that the hospice here did not have the capacity to keep my husband as comfortable as I wanted for him, I told him that I did not have the capacity to keep him comfortable at home any more and felt that he should be admitted to the hospital. He agreed and died at peace in the hospital. I knew that what he thought he wanted a year earlier (to die at home) was NOT in his best interest when the time arrived and advocated for a change. I also fought every shift at the hospital to keep my husband on an IV to alleviate his thirst and provide a better avenue of pain relief even though that was against their standard of care. If we want to truly do something to help those in these situations, we need to be advocates for even better pain control and learn how to move mountains to get what is best for the patient--even if the patient thought at one time that they wanted something else. That is one thing I have learned over the years watching many people die--sometimes what a patient THINKS they want months or years ahead of time is not want they really want and need when the occasion arises.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

elise

Postby elise » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:31 pm

She was a brave young woman to open herself and her family up to all that criticism (and thankfully love and support too). I hold her family in my thoughts.

Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:53 pm

More explaining my position:

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. - Barbara Wagner has one wish - for more time.

"I'm not ready, I'm not ready to die," the Springfield woman said. "I've got things I'd still like to do."

Her doctor offered hope in the new chemotherapy drug Tarceva, but the Oregon Health Plan sent her a letter telling her the cancer treatment was not approved.

Instead, the letter said, the plan would pay for comfort care, including "physician aid in dying," better known as assisted suicide.

"I told them, I said, 'Who do you guys think you are?' You know, to say that you'll pay for my dying, but you won't pay to help me possibly live longer?' " Wagner said.

An unfortunate interpretation?

Dr. Som Saha, chairman of the commission that sets policy for the Oregon Health Plan, said Wagner is making an "unfortunate interpretation" of the letter and that no one is telling her the health plan will only pay for her to die.

But one critic of assisted suicide calls the message disturbing nonetheless.

"People deserve relief of their suffering, not giving them an overdose," said Dr. William Toffler.

He said the state has a financial incentive to offer death instead of life: Chemotherapy drugs such as Tarceva cost $4,000 a month while drugs for assisted suicide cost less than $100.

Saha said state health officials do not consider whether it is cheaper for someone in the health plan to die than live. But he admitted they must consider the state's limited dollars when dealing with a case such as Wagner's.

"If we invest thousands and thousands of dollars in one person's days to weeks, we are taking away those dollars from someone," Saha said.

But the medical director at the cancer center where Wagner gets her care said some people may have incredible responses to treatment.

Health plan hasn't evolved?

The Oregon Health Plan simply hasn't kept up with dramatic changes in chemotherapy, said Dr. David Fryefield of the Willamette Valley Cancer Center.

Even for those with advanced cancer, new chemotherapy drugs can extend life.

Yet the Oregon Health Plan only offers coverage for chemo that cures cancer - not if it can prolong a patient's life.

"We are looking at today's ... 2008 treatment, but we're using 1993 standards," Fryefield said. "When the Oregon Health Plan was created, it was 15 years ago, and there were not all the chemotherapy drugs that there are today."

Patients like Wagner can appeal a decision if they are denied coverage. Wagner appealed twice but lost both times.

However, her doctors contacted the pharmaceutical company, Genentech, which agreed to give her the medication without charging her. But doctors told us, that is unusual for a company to give away such an expensive medication.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met