Britanny Maynard

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KWT

Re: Britanny Maynard

Postby KWT » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Anna, you must be reading my mind.

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:40 pm

I know one thing for sure! I have never heard of anyone intentionally overdosing on xeloda :shock: :shock: Think how shitty that would be just in case it didn't work :roll:
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

KWT

Postby KWT » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:45 pm

justin case wrote:I know one thing for sure! I have never heard of anyone intentionally overdosing on xeloda :shock: :shock: Think how shitty that would be just in case it didn't work :roll:
Michael

Who can afford to overdose on xeloda?
Last edited by KWT on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stu

Postby stu » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Well Kenny and Ann that is certainly laying your cards on the table and I would not for one minute want to cause anyone one while dealing with such a difficult diagnosis.any additional problems by being here.I came here and learnt much . I did hang around as my mum has a outcome that may encourage new people facing a stage 4 diagnosis . However I shall opt out and respectfully request to have my account closed.
I wish everyone well but discussions can be carried out with respect.
Much love to all.
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

jdepp

Postby jdepp » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Laurettas wrote:People have the choice, I will say it again and again. The means for suicide are readily available without having to involve the medical profession.

I will say this one last time. That is a deeply unethical and cruel thing to say to people like Brittany Maynard or me.

Laurettas wrote: I could explain the value in suffering but that requires some religious conversation and I don't know that this is the appropriate place. The suffering in life I have experienced has many times put things in proper perspective for me. I realize what is important and what is not.

So the truth comes out and the cards are on the table. It was always about religion. Therefore I too will respectfully bow out of this conversation. I am stage four, inoperable, a veteran of four surgeries, endless rounds of oxaliplatin, folfiri, xeloda, 5fu, avastin, erbitux, TS-1, ufur... I am constitutionally incapable of being lectured to by somebody who wants to explain the "value" of my suffering to me by putting things in "proper perspective." I hope this conversation will continue to be productive for others.
Colon dx 08 @ 41 Poorly diff. 12+ liver mets, 19/28 LN
Colon rsx /14 x Folfox-Erbitux 08-09
PVE / Liver rsx 09
Lung & LN mets 10
Folfiri, Xeloda, Avastin 10-13
Xelox, Erbitux, UFUR, TS-1, Oxi, Lonsurf 14-16
Stivarga & TIL trial 16
Brain lesion, RO688 trial 18

Helen
Facebook Username: helen.andersen

Postby Helen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:08 am

Hello All

I do not have stage IV Mcrc,I was a caregiver to my beloved wife.I was once pretty active on this board and I am and will be forever grateful to everyone here.I remain a daily reader just don't often feel like i should participate as much.My wife's cancer was never operable,Pam endured over 37 rounds of FOLFIRI ERBITUX and FLOFOX.Pam's cancer was also in her lymph system and the cancer broke thru the skin and was a visual of the beast you could tell when chemo was keeping things at bay and when nothing worked anymore by the way the tumor that was also outside of her body would react.Pam I know 100% would of taken advantage of the law that is in place in Oregon,problem was we didn't live in Oregon.Pam had pain that was not controllable in any way in the last couple of months of my beloved's life.For those that wonder why we didn't move to Oregon,we thought after being told about palliative sedation that would be available to Pam when or if the need came.Pam was connected via her port to palliative sedation and we both expected for it to end Pam's misery.Well it didn't work out that way at all.My darling Pam had the highest doses our hospice had ever used and they were not able to get Pam sedated even with multiple drugs on board.It was beyond Horrific for my wife to go thru and for me and our family and even our entire medical team to endure.I don't for a second believe that the more one suffers the more they will be rewarded.Pam was on palliative sedation for over 7 weeks and always woke up and remind in pain.I hope that some day California will have a law in place that gives the patient the right they should have, to decide when enough is enough.

Peace and Love

~Helen
My partner of almost 18 years ***Wife as of July 1 2013***Pam was dx in Nov 2011
Stage IV advanced mCRC
Nov 2011 colostomy
Feb 2012 Folfiri
March 2012 Erbitux
May 2012 3 blood clots
June 2012 Lovenox
May 2013 FOLFOX
Dec 19 2013 My beloved was set free

lhawk0730

Postby lhawk0730 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:33 am

My husband and I have had many long conversations on this subject. We are Christians and believe in leaving things in God's hands (how noble given we are healthy and the worst pain we've experienced was a broken bone and child birth). HOWEVER, God has always given us free will. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean we have to do it or use it...it just makes it available. I don't believe in abortion for myself, but I believe in the right to have one if a person chooses. Who are we to dictate the availability of choices when God himself granted us free will and wants us to use it?
Daughter to Mom, age 71
Dx 10/14 RC - T3bN1bM0
Chemoradiation til 1/15
Surgery 2/15
Temp ileostomy
Failed Xelox round 4/15
1 round straight Xeloda 5/15 - discontinued
Ileo reversal 5/15
8/15 more Xeloda

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:08 am

Yes, that is what I have been trying to say!! Choice is the key in this debate. If it is against your faith, then don't do it, but how dare anyone come in here and say that god wants us to suffer!!! Helen, I am so sorry that Pams death was so horrid. I can't imagine having to watch her suffer like that. If I have read all this right, Laurettas husband was blessed with a peaceful death. How fortunate for both him and her. As Helen has shown us, everyone is NOT so lucky and to have a safe way to end the suffering in my opinion would make death not nearly as scary for everyone involved. I would much rather have a doctor guided suicide then winging it on my own and maybe doing something that makes things worse.
Kenny and Anna, I don't think it is fair to brand all of us non patients by a few that have pissed you off. Not all patients are techy to come to a forum and learn. I would be lost as a caregiver if suddenly the rules were changed and I could not learn and ask questions. CRguy made a very good point the other day on a thread that had my feathers ruffled. If you don't like reading certain posters thoughts and questions, then don't. I know that maybe us non patients don't fully understand what you are dealing with, but keep in mind that most of us are here as we are trying to get info to help a patient just like yourselves.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

KWT

Postby KWT » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:58 am

canadiandaughter wrote:
Kenny and Anna, I don't think it is fair to brand all of us non patients by a few that have pissed you off..

I guess I shoud have been more clear on what part of my mind Anna was reading. That wasn't it. I'm truly sorry.

KWT

Postby KWT » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:38 am

I think the thread title should be changed.

Britanny may not have appreciated this.

annalexandria

Postby annalexandria » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:19 pm

I apologize most whole-heartedly to the caregivers here who are sensitive and thoughtful to those of us who are patients. As I said, I have been both, and I had the experience of watching my 43 year old sister, the person to whom I was closest in all the world, die an ugly death. And then faced my own battle at the exact same damn age just a few years later. I have watched by lovely nephew grow up without his mom, watched my parents both have strokes and die shortly thereafter in the two years following my sister's death, and then faced the reality that my own children, including my 5 year old son, would be losing their mom as well.

I got something beyond lucky, and am still here, but my feelings about this discussion are very, very strong, and I allowed that to color my emotions last night. There have been some very ugly interactions on this board in the past, almost always with the same handful of non-patients chiming in with their extremely strong views on things. One of the reason why I don't spend much time here anymore.

But most caregivers are wonderful people who deserve all of my respect, and indeed you have it. For that matter, even those who make me the most angry in this context still have my respect for the caregiving they provide to their loved ones.

AA

ETA that I do stand by my statement that a patients-only forum is still a useful idea. The stage 4 thread was started with that in mind, but as it's still a part of the larger forum and accessible, it doesn't quite serve the purpose. There are things that need to be discussed by patients on their own, in privacy (and the same for caregivers, who should probably have their own private place as well, imo)
Mom, librarian
Dx age 43, Sept. '09, Stage IV Carcinosarcoma of the colon
5 surgeries, 2009-2011:
colon/sm. bowel res., node removal, peritoneum, hysterectomy
FOLFOX/Avastin Feb.'10-Aug '10
Carbo-Taxol Dec. '10-Feb. 2011
NED since Dec. 2011.

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Thank you. I understand your frustration and get that this is an emotional topic for a lot of us who have watched loved ones suffer needlessly til the end. As a caregiver, I actually like reading the thread for patients as it helps me understand how my dad might be feeling or things that I might be saying or doing that tick him off. I honestly have NO clue as it is not me who is dealing with this disease every second of every day. I get a break from it, patients do not. I think to that patients should be reading the caregivers threads as maybe they can understand the frustrations that we feel as well. Sadly cancer changes everyone's lives. I agree with Kenny, the title should be changed. We should be honoring her and supporting her decision and sending condolences to her family instead of tearing the issue apart like this. I guess it should have read something to the effect of "RIP Brittany, those opposed don't enter!! Oh, and I forgot to mention, my daughter is still with us but we deal with her issues every single day, so I do NOT take suicide lightly. I have seen the effects of trying to take your life on your own, it was not pretty!
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:14 pm

stu wrote:Well Kenny and Ann that is certainly laying your cards on the table and I would not for one minute want to cause anyone one while dealing with such a difficult diagnosis.any additional problems by being here.I came here and learnt much . However I shall opt out and respectfully request to have my account closed.

I hope you don't do that Stu. Let people speak their mind straight up, though can be hurtful & demeaning, distasteful to read, @ least one knows what they're dealing with. Diversity makes up the fabric of society, but when statements begin with "YOU" said this or "YOU" did that, it's going to turn sour in a hurry.

Helen wrote:I remain a daily reader just don't often feel like i should participate as much

And why is that Helen? Do you not feel that you still have something to offer; that you don't "belong" anymore, though you are reading daily? I hope that is not the case because I'm sure you have insight & compassion to offer. Makes me sad you feel that way. And yes, Helen, there are those (as my DH) whose liver was only able to metabolize approx 10% of the pain meds administered, the suffering is incomprehensible. There was NO GOOD that I could pull from that, but not for ME to understand. I HAD to believe in a greater purpose to make sense of it all.

Then we have the Stage IV'ers who have it worse than the Stage III'ers, who have it worse than the Stage II'ers, who have it worse than the Stage I'ers, who have it worse than the Caregivers...or do they if it is a caregiver of a Stage IV'er, & so on.

Then I think of Veteran's Day coming up here in the United States Nov. 11 in honor of our veterans. I wonder how many think of the other: "You may have been in the foxhole firing away covering my ass, but you never took a bullet. Or you may have taken a bullet, but you never had your arms & legs blown off. Or you may have taken a bullet, or had your limbs blown off, but you never spent 7 years of starvation & torture in a POW camp." Then, of course, there are those that never made it back alive to say anything at all.

Does it really serve the greater good to keep score?

So to everybody on Colon Talk who offers what they have to give to one another, whether it be wisdom, knowledge, experience, Prayer, sense of humor. It all makes a difference to any given individual in the variety offered here...a little something for everyone...all makes up what CT is IMHO. To those who share their personal, painful journeys so others may benefit; I personally thank you. To those who send their prayers & truly mean it, I thank you. To those who offer up their unique perspective, their compassion, I thank you. Lastly, but not least by any means, to those that offer up their sense of humor to help us forget our troubles (& theirs) for a moment, I thank you.

As far as the opinion (like a**holes, everybody's got one; well, maybe not on this site) this site should be for patients only, then I want to grab some emails pretty quickly. So these are my thoughts written down. We'll see if I hit the "load" button.

kennyt-wisted wrote:I think the thread title should be changed.

Certainly not, nor her family. 100% agree w/you. It started out with goodwill, took a downward spiral.

Bitchslapped
Former Caregiver/Patient Advocate/Peon
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Only have a minute but need to clarify. My reasons for opposing assisted suicide and euthanasia are not primarily religious. They are concern for the well being of our society. I only stated that I can best explain the good that can come from suffering from a religious perspective. Most of my ethical positions that I hold now I held when I was an atheist. Religion only fleshed out the reasons that the positions I already held were most reasonable. And I find it ridiculous that a person's opinion, even when religion is not used as a basis for the argument, is completely discounted if they have religious beliefs. Do I need to have a certain skin color as well to have my opinions given credence? Or come from a certain part of the country? Or belong to a certain political group? Why is it that we can't have a discussion based on the merit of the evidence given, no matter what our religion, politics, skin color or whatever? The discrimination and prejudice is disgusting. I have NEVER judged any of you in that manner.

We keep talking about Oregon being such a wonderful example. Let's look at the example. In over 15 years of being legal, 750 people have used assisted suicide. Over thirty thousand people a year die in Oregon and an average of 50 use assisted suicide. I am sure that thousands of those who die in Oregon each year die painfully--from cancer, heart disease, diabetes complications, etc. If so many people think that assisted suicide is such a better idea, why do only 50 a year choose it? That is two-tenths of one percent. Even last year, after 15 years of legalization, less than one percent chose that option. So, why are we pushing so hard for something that almost no one wants? Evidently, in Oregon 99.9% of the people agree with those of us who are not in favor of assisted suicide. And Oregon, believe me is not a religious state, so they are not being brainwashed by religious zealots. I would say that the people have spoken by their actions for the last 15 years--and the answer is no to assisted suicide. Unless you don't have the mental capacity to reason through obvious evidence. And I hope that is the most uncharitable thing I ever say to any of you.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:27 pm

bitchslapped wrote:
stu wrote:Well Kenny and Ann that is certainly laying your cards on the table and I would not for one minute want to cause anyone one while dealing with such a difficult diagnosis.any additional problems by being here.I came here and learnt much . However I shall opt out and respectfully request to have my account closed.

I hope you don't do that Stu. Let people speak their mind straight up, though can be hurtful & demeaning, distasteful to read, @ least one knows what they're dealing with. Diversity makes up the fabric of society, but when statements begin with "YOU" said this or "YOU" did that, it's going to turn sour in a hurry.

Helen wrote:I remain a daily reader just don't often feel like i should participate as much

And why is that Helen? Do you not feel that you still have something to offer; that you don't "belong" anymore, though you are reading daily? I hope that is not the case because I'm sure you have insight & compassion to offer. Makes me sad you feel that way. And yes, Helen, there are those (as my DH) whose liver was only able to metabolize approx 10% of the pain meds administered, the suffering is incomprehensible. There was NO GOOD that I could pull from that, but not for ME to understand. I HAD to believe in a greater purpose to make sense of it all.

Then we have the Stage IV'ers who have it worse than the Stage III'ers, who have it worse than the Stage II'ers, who have it worse than the Stage I'ers, who have it worse than the Caregivers...or do they if it is a caregiver of a Stage IV'er, & so on.

Then I think of Veteran's Day coming up here in the United States Nov. 11 in honor of our veterans. I wonder how many think of the other: "You may have been in the foxhole firing away covering my ass, but you never took a bullet. Or you may have taken a bullet, but you never had your arms & legs blown off. Or you may have taken a bullet, or had your limbs blown off, but you never spent 7 years of starvation & torture in a POW camp." Then, of course, there are those that never made it back alive to say anything at all.

Does it really serve the greater good to keep score?

So to everybody on Colon Talk who offers what they have to give to one another, whether it be wisdom, knowledge, experience, Prayer, sense of humor. It all makes a difference to any given individual in the variety offered here...a little something for everyone...all makes up what CT is IMHO. To those who share their personal, painful journeys so others may benefit; I personally thank you. To those who send their prayers & truly mean it, I thank you. To those who offer up their unique perspective, their compassion, I thank you. Lastly, but not least by any means, to those that offer up their sense of humor to help us forget our troubles (& theirs) for a moment, I thank you.

As far as the opinion (like a**holes, everybody's got one; well, maybe not on this site) this site should be for patients only, then I want to grab some emails pretty quickly. So these are my thoughts written down. We'll see if I hit the "load" button.

kennyt-wisted wrote:I think the thread title should be changed.

Certainly not, nor her family. 100% agree w/you. It started out with goodwill, took a downward spiral.

Bitchslapped
Former Caregiver/Patient Advocate/Peon

Once slapped, twice bitten, and well thought out 8)
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”