My surgery wasn't a success--patho update, maybe it was

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
megan120

My surgery wasn't a success--patho update, maybe it was

Postby megan120 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:53 pm

I had surgery on Tuesday. I was supposed to be a hyst, completion of my colectomy, and takedown of my ileostomy. My surgeons found more cancer that was not found on my pet/ct. There was a large tumor in my uterus, cancer coating my right ovary, cancer in the peritoneum between my cervix and bladder. They also biopsied some spots on my peritoneum and small bowel. One of my surgeons didn't think the small bowel nodule is cancer. My other surgeon said she removed all the visible cancer and that it was all easy to remove, which she made sound like a good thing. I am going to have to do radiation, so my surgeons decided to not do the takedown or remove the rest of my colon to protect my small bowel from the radiation. I will be doing 6 more round of FOLFOX, which worked on my cervix tumor, and then the radiation with 5FU.

This surgery, at least in my mind, was supposed to be the start of the end. Now it seems like I am starting over from the beginning in a never ending battle. I am terrified that I don't have enough to get through it.

Needless to say, I am devastated to learn that my cancer had spread more than anticipated. I am so nervous to get my patho results, but so far I only have an appoinment with my onc's PA for a check of my cbc. I don't meet with my surgeon for 6 weeks.
Last edited by megan120 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
36 year old mama to 3 (8,5,3)
Dx May 2014
Stage IV cc with met to cervix
2/134 pos LN
partial colectomy with temp ileostomy
folfox with avastin 6/14
Oct 14, hyst-mets to uterus, rt ovary implants
1/6/15 6 rounds of folfox
5/4/15 done with 28 tx chemo-rad
7/24/15 completion colectomy, NED!

mackswife

Re: My surgery wasn't a success

Postby mackswife » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Dear Megan - I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that your surgery didn't turn out as you had hoped. My husband has had that
happen twice this year, and I know how devastating it is. You have good reason to fight hard with your 3 children at home, and I do hope you have a great support system to help you manage as you begin the next course of treatment. Perhaps HIPEC surgery will be an option for you at some time in the future. I'm hoping your doctors can give you some good optios. My thoughts are with you and your family. Pattie
Husband IIIC;
7/12 - resection; 12 rounds folfox
CT/PET scans 4/13, 9/13 - NED
CT scan 3/14 - liver/LN mets
5/2/14- failed liver resection - peri. mets.
6 rounds of iri/avastin
8/26/14 - failed liver resect/HIPEC. dse. progression
9/14 - 3/15 - progression on chemo
3/23/15 - treatment stopped; working the bucket list

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Yes. You do have enough to get through it ! I am sorry this did not show up on your PET/CT scan so you could have been a little more prepared. But, if you trust your doctor, then she got the cancer which was seen. You have more strength than you think. I think some of your thoughts about not being able to get through it is because of the unexpected results you received from your surgery. I think with a few days to clarify the situation in your mind and have time to relax after surgery, you, with the help of your team, will be able to set your plan in action and forge ahead. I am praying for you and your family and wishing you nothing but the best. Everyone will be here to give you encouragement and give any advice you may need. Andre
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

VikingShips

Postby VikingShips » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I am so sorry to hear this, we've also had unexpected,unseen mets in the peri sneak up on us. They are nasty buggers.

But if I know two year olds..........they can get you through anything !
Caregiver to father 68
DX 11/10 IIIA 1 Lymph Node
12/10 - resection
6 months FOLFOX
NED
6/12 - Mets to liver, PC. Stage IV
Successful resection, good margins.
6 months Chemo
8/14 - Mets to liver, PC return, Spleen met.
Hope in the beginning, now?

pfCml73183
Facebook Username: Celeste Marie Comeau

Postby pfCml73183 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Dear Megan, I am sorry you had this setback. Like Pattie's husband, my husband also had two setbacks. His was from the spread of cancer that didn't show up on his scans. Two surgeries that were not completed.
He did however have a break in the middle of these two surgeries when he was NED for 4 months though.
I would suggest you take the time you have before chemo and/or radiation and get yourself strong and ready for the next battle. You never know what is ahead for you. Try to take it one day at a time and not get overwhelmed.
Peace and prayers to you, Celeste
Wife and BF to Peter, 54
mCRC/IV/BRAF+
Erbitux and Urelumab trial @MSKCC 3/15
went home 5/8/15

NoelBT

Postby NoelBT » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:51 pm

megan120 wrote:I had surgery on Tuesday. I was supposed to be a hyst, completion of my colectomy, and takedown of my ileostomy. My surgeons found more cancer that was not found on my pet/ct. There was a large tumor in my uterus, cancer coating my right ovary, cancer in the peritoneum between my cervix and bladder. They also biopsied some spots on my peritoneum and small bowel. One of my surgeons didn't think the small bowel nodule is cancer. My other surgeon said she removed all the visible cancer and that it was all easy to remove, which she made sound like a good thing. I am going to have to do radiation, so my surgeons decided to not do the takedown or remove the rest of my colon to protect my small bowel from the radiation. I will be doing 6 more round of FOLFOX, which worked on my cervix tumor, and then the radiation with 5FU.

This surgery, at least in my mind, was supposed to be the start of the end. Now it seems like I am starting over from the beginning in a never ending battle. I am terrified that I don't have enough to get through it.

Needless to say, I am devastated to learn that my cancer had spread more than anticipated. I am so nervous to get my patho results, but so far I only have an appoinment with my onc's PA for a check of my cbc. I don't meet with my surgeon for 6 weeks.

Megan, maybe this surgery was a success and they got it all. Your doc sounded positive. Certainly will pray to that end! Chin up, and keep going!!!
50 M
Diagnosed colon/rectal 10/23/14
CTScan on 10/25
Sigmoidoscopy Ultrasound 10/27
Waiting for Surgery

megan120

Postby megan120 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:00 am

Thank you for your replies, they really do help. Noel, I am going to try to think of my surgery as a success, they did get all visible cancer, so that is something to be happy about.
Dx May 2014
2/134 pos LN
folfox with avastin 6/14

stars9979

Postby stars9979 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:04 am

I'm sorry to hear the news ;(

But you WILL have enough to get through this!! You are stronger than you think, and certainly tougher than cancer! Stay strong beautiful!
Caregiver to 54 y/o mom
Dx April 4 2014
Stage IV CC w mets to liver
Illeostomy (temp) 05/05/2014
6 rounds FOLFOX 05/14-08/14
Primary tumor/colon resection/I'll take down 10/27/14

megan120

Re: My surgery wasn't a success--patho update, maybe it was

Postby megan120 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:11 am

I had my appt with the PA today (my onc is in Montana doing a talk, doesn't he know I need him? :twisted: ) She was able to give me the patho results, which my gyn onc was very happy about. There was cancer in my uterus, and metastatic implants on my right ovary and fallopian tube. There was NOT cancer in the peritoneum or small bowel nodule. I don't know if the treatment plan will change since my peri came back clean or if radiation is still on the table. The PA is supposed to talk with Danko tomorrow and give me a call with the updated plan of care.

Thank you all so much for your good thoughts and reassurances! :D
Dx May 2014
2/134 pos LN
folfox with avastin 6/14

Stanfordmom

Postby Stanfordmom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Glad to hear the good news!

Hope you get to NED soon and stay there foreve!
DX 4/2/2014 at 44, stage 4, mets liver and ovaries
Mom to 2 boys
Three surgeries, HAI pump and lots of chemo
fighting!

NoelBT

Postby NoelBT » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:13 pm

megan120 wrote:Thank you for your replies, they really do help. Noel, I am going to try to think of my surgery as a success, they did get all visible cancer, so that is something to be happy about.

We got to keep going. Its been a crazy deal for me over the last ten days.
50 M
Diagnosed colon/rectal 10/23/14
CTScan on 10/25
Sigmoidoscopy Ultrasound 10/27
Waiting for Surgery

megan120

Postby megan120 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:39 pm

I saw may rad onc on Friday, and radiation is a for sure after I finish my folfox. My rad onc looked at my pet/ct results, both before chemo and after, and my uterus always had the tumor. I am not sure what the radiologist was looking at that he missed it. I am going to make sure that my rad onc always does a second check on my scans from now on, since I have lost faith in the radiologist. But I am so glad that the cancer was always there, and it was actually smaller after chemo, so I had good response all around. I am relieved that I didn't have progression while on chemo or while on break before surgery.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I am not excited about radiation, mostly because it seems so rigorous, but I guess I can do anything for 6 weeks, right? :D
Dx May 2014
2/134 pos LN
folfox with avastin 6/14

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”