CEA 3.0 so great news!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

CEA 3.0 so great news!

Postby dianetavegia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:31 am

My CEA after my original dx ran 3.4 ish for 3 years. Since my liver resection, it has been 2.1, 2.4, 3.1, 2.7, 3.1, 2.8 and 3. Normal for my lab is 3.9 with a means of 4.7. Since I'm older, my CEA will be higher than a younger persons.

Scans were 'fine' but onc did mention the '2 mm spot on your lung is unchanged since April'. We can't compare further back since I had over 2 years of PET scans only. April radiologist didn't even put it in findings and this radiologist was 'unconcerned' and so was onc. Going to start another thread for your thoughts, tho.

Onc officially said 'remission' and told me that when I hit 5 years post hepatic resection, he will pronounce me CURED because only about 1% of people who make it to 5 years after a solitary and resected CLM ever have a recurrence. I think he's been looking at the new studies since I've taken in print outs to bring him up to speed a couple of times.

He had NO idea that obese patients have lower CEA's than thin people nor had he ever heard the study of people ages 70 - 89 with no cancer having higher CEA's than cancer patients with with documentation later duing autopsies. No reason found (no disease or medication cause) for the higher CEA's other than 70 and older. Studies were done on people in nursing homes with no known health issues.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Girl111

Re: CEA 3.0 so great news!

Postby Girl111 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:07 am

Great news x

My dad had his cea done again yesterday and it's confussed the hell out of me. He stopped xeloda early sept due to scans taking place etc . August cea was 9.8.

As u know 1 liver met n 1 node found on pet scan .

However yesterday's cea was. 8! That's a drop but he's not started chemo yet . He's due to start folfori in 2 weeks for eighth weeks then they will re scan .

What could this drops mean? I was expecting it to be in the 20"so by now as not had chemo 8 weeks
Dad diagnosed stage 3 cc nov 13
Bowel resection march 14
Started xeloda
1 liver met and 1 node ( small)
Started irinotecan - failed
Poss nano knife now and oxyplatin
Hope the chem works !

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Re: CEA 3.0 so great news!

Postby dianetavegia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 am

Mine went up and down right prior to surgery but I had been off chemo 2 1/2 years. I think CEA is a fickle test. LOL That's a pretty good number, tho, for having a liver met so let's be happy about that. Mine was 6 on the day of surgery but was 8.4 a month prior. Go figure......
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”