MY MOM IS DYING

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sabertooth69
Facebook Username: diane nixon

MY MOM IS DYING

Postby sabertooth69 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:58 am

My mom is in the hospital and been there for three weeks after her colostomy. She supposedly had a leak that required emergency surgery the day after her initial surgery. When the second surgery was over she couldn't breath on her own she was to weak. Well the doctor has since put three more bags on her and for some reason the bag on the front keeps leaking and she keeps getting sepsis (poisoned by her own feces) not to mention that the skin around the hole in front of her stomach is gone it raw from having to be changed every day she screams in pain and my dad just holds her tight and there is nothing he can do to help her the doctor said he can't do surgery again that she is to week to survive. she just sits there and don't talk cause the morphine is given in large doses to try and help her cope with the pain . I am scared she is gonna die because the pump thing that sucks the fecal matter out stops working every other day for some reason the doctor can't figure out it stops working and then it starts leaking she gets sepsis they change the bag and the cycle repeats itself If any one has :( ever heard such or has any ideas how to help My mom live .... please let me know

pukalania

Re: MY MOM IS DIEING

Postby pukalania » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:36 am

Hi Sabertooth69
So sorry you guys are going through this . We had similar experience even tho not as extreme. Not sure why there would be 3 bags vs one ... One bag would make all sepsis concentrate to come out of one spot ... My hubby had sepsis after illeostomy reversal .. He didn't have a second surgery but they put one bag to let it come out, they put him on strong infused antibiotics to clear infection and he couldn't take anything by mouth but had a picc line inserted where he got intravenous nutrition to help him gain strength. Your mom situation sounds pretty serious ... Is there a way to get another doc to see her to confirm they are doing the right thing?
Good luck
wife 34 dx DH stage IV
Feb10 col res
May10 12 x FOLFOX
Aug12 tumor in sig colon,mets in liver
Aug12 Xeliri Ava
Oct12 xel celebrx rad
Feb13 liver/colon res
Sep13 ill reversal, fistula,
Folfiri SBRT,ADAPT ava
Apr 15 continued growth liver and lungs

meatie

Postby meatie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:00 am

@sabertooth69

What part of usa are you in? More info about your mother's diagnosis (what stage, any metasis?) would be helpful too.
Mother DX @59 8/14
cln+lvr res 9/14, stage 4
FOLOX+Avs 12-rd 10/14 to 4/15
Reoccurrence, KRAS mutant 11/15
Folfiri 18-rds 11/15-8/16
FOLFIRI with Ramicirumab 28-rds 8/17-9/18
Regorafenib 10/18-10/19
Lonsurf 10/19 onward
Folfox rechallenge 05/20
Regonivo (Opdivo+Stivarga) 08/20
External Peace 09/12/2022

sabertooth69

Postby sabertooth69 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:08 am

I wss wrong she has 1bag and three tubes she also is being fed through iv plus has tube In lungs draining them she is in grave danger and I don't know what to do to help her. The Dr put the other three tubes in to drain stuff that is leaking inside her he don't know what's going on and every day nothing is done that helps her condition . Dr says he's gonna get with some other drs and brain storm but there is no room for trial and error she is to weak for guess work. we need a miracle

sabertooth69

Postby sabertooth69 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:24 am

She had ulcerated colitis, had colostomy., Had reverse colostomy, possible Crohn s disease, she had fisters or tear that caused leaking into vagina. Surgery several months ago to fix the leak that was unsuccessful, so colostomy was scheduled this month and now it seems were gonna lose her

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:37 am

I am so sorry your mother is going through. I have a permanent colostomy and have not had any of the problems you are describing. If I understand correctly, your Mom does not have cancer??? But rather ulcerated colitis?? What was her medical condition prior to her surgery??

I hope her Dr.(s) are able to find the cause to her problems. Please keep us posted, I hope (and pray) she is doing better real soon.

Lee

P.S. Edit to ask the following question. What type of surgeon did your mother's surgery? A general surgeon or possible a colon rectal surgeon?
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

sabertooth69

Re: MY MOM IS DYING

Postby sabertooth69 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:24 pm

she wasnt diagnosed with cancer sorry if I was out of line for posting here but I was desperate to talk to someone with similar issues her condition was normal but with vaginal infections caused by a tear in her rectum the same doctor had previously done a colostomy then he done a reverse colostomy and attached her intestine to her rectum approximately 10 years ago he tried to fix the tear but it was unsuccessful so he scheduled her for an appointment to have this operation she should have went home three days later she has been there three weeks now the dr. is her colon dr. not sure if he is general surgeon not I will check and see

singingholly

Postby singingholly » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:38 am

Don't apologize. This is the right place. Most of us know very well what you-re going throuh...
I'm afraod I have no advise for you and your mom, just a sincere big hug.
Olivia
Dec2011 sigm IIIst res T3N1(2/18)M0 Xelox
Oct2012 5liv.mets Dec 2012 liv.res
Jan2013 1liv.met Folfiri+avastin
Jul2013 liv.res Folfiri+/av
Feb2014 10+2lu.mets & 1abd node Folfoxiri+SBRT
Sep2014 Res rx l. BUT spot on diaph:SBRT
Dec2014 3+6lu.mets.Immuno

sabertooth69

Postby sabertooth69 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:34 am