Newbie colonoscopy result questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gemineye

Newbie colonoscopy result questions

Postby Gemineye » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post here. I hope I am putting this new topic in the right place. If not, I apologize.

I had my first colonoscopy today. I'm a 64 guy, very late I know; my doctor has been after me for years to get one for years but I kept putting it off because I didn't want to suffer through that whole prep thing. Anyway, the actual procedure was a breeze but the results were a little surprising (to me, anyway) and a little unsettling. So I thought I would ask you kind folks for your thoughts.

They found the following polyps; a 3mm and 2cm flat in the ascending; a 6mm in the descending; 2 8-10mm pedunculated in the sigmoid and a 5mm in the rectum. The 2cm flat one could only be partially removed so I have to go back in 3-4 months for another scope. I think they are going to biopsy all of them. Also, they said my colon very "tortuous".

Here are the the questions I have: I've read that flat polyps are more dangerous and the larger they are the more suspicios for cancer they are. Is a 2cm flat polyp considered large? How concerned should I be? In general terms, what are the odd that it is, or will become cancerous? I know nobody has a crystal ball but any feedback would be helpful. Also, does the number of polyps found (6) mean anything in and of itself?

Sorry for the length of this post and I welcome any thoughts or advice you might have.

Regards,
Jim

ANDRETEXAS

Re: Newbie colonoscopy result questions

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:05 pm

I can only say that the one polyp I had during a colonscopy in Dec '13 was in the cecum and was flat. I had a colonoscopy six years ago and was given a clean bill of health, so don't know if was missed or wasn't there at the time. Mine was cancerous, but I am very fortunate I discovered it when I was checking something else out. You will have to wait until the biopsies are back before you start thinking about worrying. I don't know what size mine was and never asked. When I found out what it was, I started on a plan with my cancer team and went full speed ahead. One day at a time! Andre (not sure I answered any of your questions. :wink: )
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

Gemineye

Postby Gemineye » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Andre, thanks very much for your reply. As you say I will have to wait until I get the results of the biopsy. That's good advice. Good luck to you in the future!

Jim

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:27 am

Gotta wait for pathology for sure. 2cm is medium or medium-large in my non-doctor book. Who knows if it's trouble or not? The pathologist. Gotta wait for that.

The number of polyps is somewhat concerning. Normally that would just shorten your time till your next scope. But the flat polyp sort of short circuits that anyways. I'd imagine they'll put you on at LEAST the 5-year plan thereafter, if not something less than that given the larger number of polyps.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Gemineye

Postby Gemineye » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks for your reply, SkiFletch! I agree that the number of polyps and that medium-big flat one are worrisome but you're right, have to wait for the pathology report. I don't know your story but good luck to you in the future---Jim

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”