Experiences with Liver biliary drain or stent?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
raym

Experiences with Liver biliary drain or stent?

Postby raym » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:26 pm

As I commented on another one of my posts, my liver numbers have been elevated. Latest CT scan shows an enlarged lymph node impeding on a bile duct. Next week I will be have a procedure to place a stent and/or drain. I'm assuming I will have an external drain. Anyone have any experience with this procedure? I'm curious how mobile I will be after. As far as I can tell from some Google searches it should not impact my ability to get around, go to work, etc (assuming all goes as planned!). Eventually there may be a permanent stent placed, I still don't have all the answers on addressing this longer term.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

jgall

Re: Experiences with Liver biliary drain or stent?

Postby jgall » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:58 pm

HI Ray.

What a drag you have to go through that, but I'm sure it will help alleviate some of the issues for you. Chris hasn't had this done, but I do know from a family friend who went through this that she was quite mobile with them. She eventually passed (and was only 19) :( but at the time it was a life-saver to her to have it done.

I hope they do the trick for you!

Julia
DH Chris, 50, Dx Nov '10 Stg 4
cardiac arrest from 5-FU
Iri/Erbi, RFA, liver/colon resection, more Iri/Erbi
Oct14-Feb15 clinical trial
SIRT Apr15-unsuccessful
Stopped treatment May15
Hospice July15
Passed 8/15/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisandjulia

juliej

Postby juliej » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Ray, again no personal experience, but I know someone who had an external biliary drain. It did not impact his day-to-day life too much. He just pinned the bag to the inside of his pants and went about his day like normal. He flushed the catheter twice a day and changed the bag/dressing on the weekends. If your numbers come down with the external drain, they may leave a stent in place and switch you to an internal drain. Hope the procedure goes well and brings down your liver counts!
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 pm

In most cases, I hesitate to chime in other than support because there are others on here w/more recent experience, more educated in terminology than I. Since responses are limited here, I will mention that my DH had an external drain post liver resection. His circumstance different than yours, but he had a tube several inches above the belly button that drained into a plastic "bulb". It was meant to be temporary, but in his case it became permanent. He was given Ursodiol to keep the bile thin & flowing. Eventually the tube was changed out for a larger one of which we had to flush w/syringes of saline & then at some point in time, that tube removed & we used bags directly over the opening . Yes, it was inconvenient, there were leaks, sometimes messy if the bag got too full (as a colostomy bag I would imagine), but you find little tricks in dealing with it. At first you may wear it with "sweats" around home. You will be able to live normally, just a little creative depending on what you are wearing in day to day activities. My DSS recently had an internal stent placed & felt so much better the same day. From what I have read on those is that the internal stents need to be replaced every so often.

Best to you

Bitchslapped
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

mjkelley

Postby mjkelley » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:23 pm

What a timely post. I too need to have one placed. They will "try" to place the stent "inside" but if they can't reach it I too will need an external one.
I am wondering if anyone had it and it removed some other issues. I've had digestion issues feel bloated bad heartburn. Hoping the stent resolves that.
DX 1/30/10 @ 49
stage iv with In-numerable mets to Liver
Treatment plan: Chemo for life
40 rounds folfox Feb 2010 to October 2011
Dropped oxi October 2011
REDUCTION OR NO NEW GROWTH
July 2013 Growth
Back on oxi July 2013
More Growth
Folfori October 2013

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Maybe you won't need the drain. That wouldn't be a simple Interventional Radiology procedure I think but don't know. Personally - I draw the line there. Stent me if needed but I have heard nothing good about of those drains.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

raym

Postby raym » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:01 am

Voxx66 wrote:Maybe you won't need the drain. That wouldn't be a simple Interventional Radiology procedure I think but don't know. Personally - I draw the line there. Stent me if needed but I have heard nothing good about of those drains.

If external I'm hoping it's a short term solution with an internal stent eventually. Perhaps they won't make decisions until they see what is going one during the IR procedure. Not sure if they will inject contrast to see the extent of the blockage. I assume the immediate need is to avoid liver damage due to the blockage.

This procedure has come about pretty quickly and I've not had a face-to-face with anyone regarding the details. I guess I will learn more next week. I do not welcome an external drain, but I guess I need to do what is needed.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial