scared to take imodium

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:05 pm

Cynny, I did have some diarrhea for a while after a bout of diverticulitis. I found out I was allergic to the lanolin in the wipes I was using to clean up with. Almost everything has lanolin in it, even hypoallergenic stuff. I have to be very careful. Even Preparation H has it. If you think hemorhoids are bad, try putting something you're allergic to up there!

I LOVE having people I can discuss this stuff with. Having conversations with perfect strangers about poop and 'rhoids is a novel experience, but a much needed one. Who but others in the same boat would understand?

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:05 am

heheheheh....yea, i must say, i get quite a kick outta your posts.
pooping like a big dog eh? hahahaha....
i was telling my guy today how i didn't wanna be talking about crap for the rest of my life. and he reassured me by telling me that "poop was a major topic of conversation for the better part of my life for awhile" (hahaha, apparently he is known in his family for being the one having problems with constipation AND diarrhea...so much so that for his birthday all his cards from his family have jokes about poop in them.)
so nice to have a man that understands and DOESN'T wanna deny that his girl actually does those things (you know...girls shit. we're human)

i guess i just gotta succomb to taking that immodium every day. i'm still worried it'll make me go the other way (constipation). but i guess i'll have to cross that bridge if or when i get to it.

i can't wait til this subsides a little. but i probably won't get too much relief. looks like surgery is just around the corner for me (yikes! :shock: )

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:07 am

(oh yea...and in keeping with the 'conversations with perfect strangers' about these fun topics...i can sympathize with the allergic reaction. not b/c i've had one, but b/c i had an anal fissure...which pretty much nothing can soothe. and prep H wipes were NOT my friend at all then. nor during radiation.)

rthornton

Stool and Bread and Butter

Postby rthornton » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 am

I'll never forget the day I had my colectomy ... I was getting prepped for surgery and the doctor came in to talk to me, and he told me that one man's stool is another man's bread and butter. I think it was the only thing that made me laugh that day.

Rodney

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:10 am

I know all about the poop discussion....and yes, it will be something you are much more comfortable talking about than most people. And after having colon cancer, you notice everything about your bowel movements....it's ridiculous. Sometimes, when my husband's really lucky, I report it to him too! You get used to it becoming an every day topic!!!!
Maggie

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:16 pm

I never flush before I look. :lol:
I'm poop obsessed :lol:

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:05 pm

hahahah! i'm glad i'm not alone.
do you ever start getting really creative with your descriptions to docs about BM's?
Yesterday I described a lovely bout of diarrhea as "but it wasn't real liquidy. it was fluffy...almost chocolate mousse-like"
i'm sure i turned off any desire for that dessert for my docs'

i should start a thread just for interesting descriptions of BM's from colorectal patients. could get veeeeerrry interesting

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Medical people almost always describe body fluids and such in terms of food. It must sound really gross to other folks.

Just this morning I told my sister I passed something that looked like the Loch Ness monster. Not that I've actually SEEN the Loch Ness monster, but I've read descriptions.

My bathroom is full of lanolin free wipes and creams. And I carry a supply in my purse as well. My poop-chute rules my life.

Cynny, you will sail through surgery, and probably feel a lot better after you heal. It may take a few weeks, but it will happen. Keep us informed.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:24 pm

2 weeks after my colon surgery I was having normal bms then I started chemo Avaistan folfox etc.. I was going to the bathroom a lot! I also had the problem in the front area as well.... Let me tell you what helped me. I talked to my surgeon he recommended I take fiber to bulk up the stools. I lived on Metamucile tablets they really helped me. I also used prep h wipes for the front and back they helped and you can buy little packages of them to keep in your purse. Also keep this in mind I was having it really bad and asked my doctors office to test some stool they did and I had an infection and needed antibotics so keep that in mind.. After my liver surgery and an hepatic pump installed I went to the next extreme and became very constipated! For this I try all the natural remedies but still take the fiber tablets and lots of water.... O also Destin cream works well. Good Luck it gets better... ETL :D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”