Out-And-About Too Soon?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
meatie

Re: Out-And-About Too Soon?

Postby meatie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:15 pm

For those of you that are wondering, I am a male.

As for Ebola, there are already one death and several more emerging cases in America. With no effective treatments and cure available for Ebola, it is not unreasonable to think that it will rage on for a while here and claim more lives. The same goes for D68 virus.

I am probably worrying too much. I will try to calm down a bit. Thanks for your advice and support, guys!
Mother DX @59 8/14
cln+lvr res 9/14, stage 4
FOLOX+Avs 12-rd 10/14 to 4/15
Reoccurrence, KRAS mutant 11/15
Folfiri 18-rds 11/15-8/16
FOLFIRI with Ramicirumab 28-rds 8/17-9/18
Regorafenib 10/18-10/19
Lonsurf 10/19 onward
Folfox rechallenge 05/20
Regonivo (Opdivo+Stivarga) 08/20
External Peace 09/12/2022

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:14 pm

meatie wrote:For those of you that are wondering, I am a male.

As for Ebola, there are already one death and several more emerging cases in America. With no effective treatments and cure available for Ebola, it is not unreasonable to think that it will rage on for a while here and claim more lives. The same goes for D68 virus.

I am probably worrying too much. I will try to calm down a bit. Thanks for your advice and support, guys!

Meatie,
I'm in Texas. Ebola had a chance to gain some ground in Dallas, but it is isolated. Out of curiosity , how old are you? I can understand your worry if you are not yet an adult, and if you are not, please accept my apology for treating you like one. it was certainly not my intention to be condescending. The freedom a port gives a cancer patient, is worth any pain that might be associated with having to endure it. No longer are you locked in a hospital room, but you can go shopping, do gardening, go to work, make it to your own appointments, and be your own person. By being able to do things for yourself, you tend to perceive others as overbearing, although you try your best, not to hurt their feelings.
You could do more for your Mom, asking her what SHE needs done. Even us old people know how to take care of ourselves.
You couldn't know this, butt I was in the hospital for 3 weeks, and needed to recover for 6 more weeks. I just wish one of my sons, would have offered to mow the lawn :roll:
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

mstults

Postby mstults » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:42 am

I'm concerned about Ebola and D68 as well. Not so much for myself as for others. I think contact with Ebola will result in infection regardless of the immune system. Perhaps a weakened immune system will result in a higher mortality rate. Cancer patients are much more at risk for flu and respiratory viruses. Earlier,this year I contacted MRSA and nearly died. Our government has delayed too long getting serious about Ebola. It could be bad but nothing like in West Africa. Your mother needs to carry on as normal as possible. There are risks that have to be taken. My mother is my primary caregiver. I struggle daily with her being too protective. It's an added stress that we do not need to have to deal with. Be supportive but not overbearing.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Postby alphagam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:05 am

Meatie,

I live in the Dallas area and have one daughter who is a nurse in the area. While Ebola is scary, no one I know of is hiding in their house. We've had football games, lots of football games, the state fair us setting records with attendance. Life cannot stop because of something that is barely possible, much less probable. Please calm down before you are the one in the hospital.
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

meatie

Postby meatie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Thomas Duncan died of Ebola in Texas recently. A nurse, Nina Pham, that cared for Duncan is now sick with Ebola herself. Another 70+ health care workers that participated in the care of Duncan is in quarantine. Will any of the nurses tending to Nina Pham come down with Ebola themselves? Given this patient-to-nurse transmission, will health workers be hesitant to care for future Ebola patients? It looks like Ebola is about to explode in the US.
Mother DX @59 8/14
cln+lvr res 9/14, stage 4
FOLOX+Avs 12-rd 10/14 to 4/15
Reoccurrence, KRAS mutant 11/15
Folfiri 18-rds 11/15-8/16
FOLFIRI with Ramicirumab 28-rds 8/17-9/18
Regorafenib 10/18-10/19
Lonsurf 10/19 onward
Folfox rechallenge 05/20
Regonivo (Opdivo+Stivarga) 08/20
External Peace 09/12/2022

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Postby alphagam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm not sure that explode is the right word, but yes, I'm in the Dallas area and as the CDC said, there will be more cases. But, am still going about my business, spending 4 mornings at the Y, going to church, etc. I cannot be so afraid that I don't live daily life. That would make me a victim, something I refuse to be
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”