Out-And-About Too Soon?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
GrouseMan

Re: Out-And-About Too Soon?

Postby GrouseMan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:27 pm

justin case wrote:I do have 1 caution however. This is not a good time to for your Mom to go duck hunting, as the recoil on a shotgun , could do some harm to the surgery sight.
Michael

Ya - My wife who's hobby is breeding and training bird dogs, realized last year she would not be able to shoulder her shotgun during Grouse season because of her port. Her oncologist asked recently if she had started shooting left handed or not. Neither of us realized she had a choice of placement at the time. Of course then, that wasn't really top most in our mind. She doesn't really think she can hit anything left handed anyway, so while she handles the dogs, I have to be the shooter.

As for meatie's concern, she worries way to much!, should be no greater chance of any kind of infection going out than at home. Ebola??? You must be kidding right? The surgeon wasn't LAZY! This is becoming standard practice any more. Stitches will leave scars, are often irritating. Surgical glue, and stripes, actually heal faster in many cases. My wife's resection, they didn't use stiches or staples, but glue and strips. Sounds to me like her mother is getting tired of being treated like an invalid, or a sick child. Let her have some peace, and let her live her life as she pleases. She is a big girl afterall.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:56 am

I think you should do nothing. I know you're coming from a place of love and concern, but if I was your mother, you'd be driving me nuts. She knows what she's capable of doing and she's old enough to make those decisions.

The only time sickness really wins, in my opinion, is when you give in and act sick. If you feel well enough to be out and about and living a normal life that's what you should be doing. Many people push a little hard and have small setbacks but very few people would truly push themselves dangerously.

Personally, I went for a 5K run 3 weeks after my ultra low anterior resection. I honestly felt ready. Yes, I took it easy, and of course I was nowhere near at my best form but it did me good. And my family all went nuts at me, but seriously, I modified my intensity, I'm not going to run through blinding pain and I wouldnt have repeated the activity if I had adverse effects from it. What it did was make me feel happy, positive and in control. So let your mother do what she feels she wants and is ready to do.

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:11 am

OMG! I don't want to sound rude but are you for real? And calling your surgeon lazy - you obviously don't read responses to your posts.

I don't blame your mom for closing the door on you! Good on her for going shopping - best thing for her, I think.

Sorry, but you need to stop obsessing and relax a bit.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Postby alphagam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 am

Meatie,

As a mom, I would tell my daughter to either chill, or don't talk to me. I hate to be that blunt, but you are probably driving your mother nuts about now.

I never had a port, but almost 4 years ago when I had TEM surgery for my rectal tumor, there was not one stitch visible. I had no restrictions and was at a funeral for a friend 72 hours later.

Second, in April I had my gallbladder and appendix both removed through laparoscopic surgery. All four small (largest was 1.5 inches) incisions were stitched internally, my skin was glued and I had steri strips Four days later I drovemyself to a 3 day sewing school two and a half hours away from home by myself, came home to a followup up appt with my surgeon. He removed the strips. I was given the OK to go back to Master's swimming 10 days after surgery and was back in the gym a week after that.

No one was worried about infection, no one was lazy. I'm forever grateful to my surgeon for the glue and strips as my abdomen only has a couple of pink spots that are rapidly fading. While I was at the sewing school, I was usually in bed by nine, but that was my only accommodation.

Please find a doctor your family can trust and please calm down. Your mom needs support and affirmation right now, not someone who is so worried that they are making themselves sick

Kathy
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 am

Meatie, I understand your concern as a daughter/caregiver, but you are way off base with your worrying! My dad was told that he actually could have started chemo the day he got his port! We drive my dad nuts with our concern that he needs to rest a bit more and that he should be worried about getting colds, so we wont visit if we are sick and have asked everyone else to do the same. If we were as concerned as you are, he would kick us out. You need to relax and let things go. I know that is hard to do as you love your mom and want what you think is best for her, but you are going to push her away. Even though they are fighting cancer, they still need to live!! Locking them in a bubble will make then want to just let the disease take its course and get them out of this nightmare. Maybe you need to speak to someone about your level of anxiety. It might help you and your mom! Best of luck to you.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

elise

Postby elise » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:13 am

Not too soon :)

I was back at the gym within a 2 days doing legs only.
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Carolinabluetec

Postby Carolinabluetec » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:21 am

I know you only want the best for your mother, but lighten up, she is 59 not 95.
03/14 DX Adenocarcinoma Sigmoid Polyp
05/14 Da Vinci Sigmoid Colectomy
06/14 T3N0Mx, staged IIa
07/14 Xeloda 3000 mg/day 14 on/7 off 8 rounds
12/14 Finished Chemo
01/15 CT NED :D
07/15 Colonoscopy NED :D
08/15 CT NED :D
03/16 CT NED 8)

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:47 am

You really need to calm down. I had chemo the day after port implantation.

This isn´t a big operation. No problem to go shopping the day after.
I went home three days after liver surgery, having three kids at home and I survived.

I think you should look after a support group. You are so afraid.......
nov. 2011 RC Stage 3
dec. 2011 lap. rectumresection, temp. ileo.
jan.-june 2012 FLOX
aug. 2012 ileo. rev.
jan, sept 2013 surg. for livermet
june 2014 local recurrence + PC, FOFIRI/Avastin june-dec. break
june 2015 surg. for colon blockage

Don.in.Dallas

Postby Don.in.Dallas » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:53 am

Duck hunting? No! This is swinging chicken country.

Portacath implant is light surgery. Most of us are out and about quickly. Let your mom be mobile and active as much as possible. She will limit herself if needed.
Male 56 at DX 05/14
05/14 Resection, 3.2cm sigmoid CRC Stage IIIb, 2/17 nodes, T3N1M0
06/14 PET scan clear, portacath install
06/14 Begin FOLFOX6 12x, End 01/15
09/20 Still NED!
----
Previous: Laryngeal cancer
33 x rad
NED since 12/09

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Don.in.Dallas wrote:Duck hunting? No! This is swinging chicken country.

Portacath implant is light surgery. Most of us are out and about quickly. Let your mom be mobile and active as much as possible. She will limit herself if needed.

Depending on the size of the chicken, I might wait a day or 2 before swinging it, after port implant :roll: Or change to the other side 8)
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Sharon Brent

Postby Sharon Brent » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:01 pm

justin case wrote:

Depending on the size of the chicken, I might wait a day or 2 before swinging it, after port implant :roll: Or change to the other side 8)

Just a quick question is swinging chicken the same as swining cat in London,
or do you eat the chicken after because we don't eat the cat, well not usually anyway, unless a chinese freind pops round and misses home :twisted:
DH, 47yo, Dx Stg IV, mCRC, lvr, lng 1/14, Tx Capeciabine 9 rnds
Children 5 & 1
DH 48th Birthday 6 November in Hospital
Home palliative care on 12 November 2014
Called back to Jesus 4pm 15 November 2014
Life Celebration in Nigeria 8 January 2015

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Sharon Brent wrote:
justin case wrote:

Just a quick question is swinging chicken the same as swining cat in London,
or do you eat the chicken after because we don't eat the cat, well not usually anyway, unless a chinese freind pops round and misses home :twisted:

Cats eat rats,
I don't touch em :|
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:41 pm

I don't think meatie needs to worry about duck hunting. It seems to me she is more of a fisher, trolling the inter webs.
cheers, peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:50 pm

peanut_8 wrote:I don't think meatie needs to worry about duck hunting. It seems to me she is more of a fisher, trolling the inter webs.
cheers, peanut

Well that's funny, Victoria thinks she's a he, and that is just out of the realm of duck hunters, I think :shock: I have only hunted dears in my much younger days 8)
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:06 pm

justin case wrote:
peanut_8 wrote:I don't think meatie needs to worry about duck hunting. It seems to me she is more of a fisher, trolling the inter webs.
cheers, peanut

Well that's funny, Victoria thinks she's a he, and that is just out of the realm of duck hunters, I think :shock: I have only hunted dears in my much younger days 8)

Well in some ways this is good news. Now I can puzzle over the sex of the poster in question, as opposed to worry about the results of my CT scan this morning.
cheers, peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”