Sexy Radiation!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cynnycal

Sexy Radiation!!!

Postby cynnycal » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Heh, alright, maybe not.
but i was just wondering...any of you (women) out there that have had radiation for rectal cancer, how did you handle the vaginal dryness and irritation?
and was sex ANYwhere in your mind at that time, and if so, how did you deal with it?
I was expecting dryness...haven't attempted sex...figure it might be kinda painful. My doc told me in the beginnign that i'll probably need to use lubricants, etc.
but what about just on a daily basis? as in, i'm sitting at my desk, or walking around and i'm just kinda dry, itchy, irritated, tender, etc.
can i use a lubricant just any ol' time during the day?

heh...gotta love the internet. lord knows i dont' know if i could just turn around and ask my mom this in person. at least, not as bluntly as i just did.

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:25 pm

I told my wife that i found a study showing that sex (specifically oral) significantly cuts down on reoccurance rates.

She doesn't believe me.

"Why not be on the cutting edge of medical evolution" i said to her. She still isn't buying it. Not even the "how can you turn down a cancer patient" works.

I'm doomed.

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:45 am

hahahhahahahahahahah!!!
good luck with that ;)

Cats

Postby Cats » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:01 am

Funny Phil!

I posted this almost identical scenario on another board. (Just stumbled on this board this weekend). Anyway...radiation and my hysterectomy (instant menopause) have caused everything about sex to be very painful. I was hoping for answers, too. I am on vagi fem tablets, which we just increased (estrogen that does not get absorbed into your bloodstream that you insert into your vagina.) They are supposed to help with elasticity...I'll let you know. That plus lots of astroglide and a stick to bite down on and we've got a party at our house. Ha ha...

Good luck. I would ask your radiation oncologist about the vagi fem tablets (or your gyn).

Cats

PS

Postby Cats » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:05 am

P. S. There is an internal lubricant...name is getting away from me now, but you will find it in the "feminine"/KY section of your local pharmacy. You can insert it at night (goes way up there) and it is suppose to keep your insides hydrated for 3 days. Just use a panty liner because it does drip now and then. Works well....

Good luck!

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:23 pm

oooh, thanks Cat.
i don't have a hysterectomy, and they're taking alot of precautions to make sure that i still have hormone production after this is over (check my other posts about ovary moving and menopause)
so hopefully the lubricant will be all i need later. that and the wonderful 'vaginal dialator' i hear about. (though she said if i was having sex at least 3 to 4 times a week i wouldn't need to use the dialator...adn i dunno bout any of you, but the thought of having sex 3 or 4 times a week is a helluva lot better sounding that shoving a dialator up there a couple times a day)
but keep the tips coming!
(i bought some vagisil...and maybe i'm too 'sunburned' right now or something but i put it on and it did NOT feel good at all.)
but i'll check for that internal lubricant. my grocery store didn't have too much for options. k-y and vagisil were about it.

gotta say as far as sex goes, i have the drive, i'm just scared that i'm too 'raw' down there.
but i'm actually thinking i should really try and get as much sex in as possible now...before i have to get this ileostomy. b/c i feel my drive will be significantly cut short then.
aarrrgghghhghghg!!!

Cats

Postby Cats » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:00 am

If you are still receiving radiation then I would hold off on putting lubricants in...talk to your radiation nurse about that.

I have a temp. ileostomy (reversal scheduled for 7/20!) and it does put a damper on the sex thing. My husband is great about it, I am very lucky that way. He says he doesn't care...thinks I'm beautiful etc, but I have had a very hard time feeling comfortable with it. I always joke to him that it seems wierd that I can have diarrhea and sex at the same time...something about that isn't exactly a turn on. :wink:

BUT, here is a tip. Get some black silky high waisted briefs. The black and silky part make it seem less like granny pants...then w/scissors cut a slit down the crotch part of the underwear. There - you have just made yourself a nice pair of crotchless panties. Empty your pouch, spray a little perfume, put on your new crotchless granny pants and you are good to go.

Good luck to you. Hope the tip helps.
Take care,
Cats
PS - be sure to hide said underwear when your mom comes to do your laundry... :oops:

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:03 am

Cyn,

You are freakin' hilarious! Just when I thought I had heard or seen most, nope...Hit with something new.

Radiation...Sexy? I have not had radiation but would based on my knowledge would beg to differ! What the hell do I know?

Phil, you crack me up! I think Marvin Gaye was on to a little something..."Sexual healing..."

Hugs!

Holly

tammy figg

Postby tammy figg » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:07 pm

Radiation causes vaginal dryness, and for me it's been 4 years and that is still the case. My husband and I use lubricants, and condoms to help ease that. I would have to say it does help. At first after radiation or during radiation it was very very painful, as time has passed the skin in that area has gotten better. It will take time but you will get relief. An estrogen based cream that your doctor can give you is what worked best for us.

tennislover

Radiation and Sex

Postby tennislover » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:02 am

Hello there, I finished radiation in May, I was having sex up unitl the last month of my radiation. So I guess I only lasted 2 weeks durring raditaion. I was not able to have sex until about the middle of June. We tried, a couple of times but it burned and was very tight. ( not that they mind that) Finally when we were able to with a lot of lube and some time. In the mean time, we both had sexual desire so we reverted back to our "old ways" and did things that we hadnt done in a long time, good old fashioned folling around. It was a great experience and I think it made us closer. When it came down to it, it really didnt matter how we fullfiled our desires, in the end we were happy and we did it together! Good luck!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”