I have surgery coming up

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
megan120

I have surgery coming up

Postby megan120 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Last week I had a pet/ct for restaging after 6 rounds of folfox with avastin. I have had good response, with my tumor being smaller and less active. My original plan was 6 rounds, then surgery (hysterectomy, removing the rest of my colon and a polyp in my rectum, and (hopefully) a take down), then 6 more rounds. After getting the results, my oncologist questioned whether my surgeons would want me to have the full 12 rounds to further shrink the tumor. They decided to stick to the original plan. So I am going to be scheduled for surgery soon. Next Thursday will be 6 weeks from my last Avastin, which is the soonest they will do surgery. I am scared. I have never had such a big surgery scheduled ahead of time. I had scheduled C-sections, but this seems so much bigger. I'm not even sure what the recovery will be like, what I can expect while I am in the hospital, etc. I will be meeting with my surgeons before surgery, I assume, so I will get those questions answered then. I am just a bundle of nerves. I think I was secretly hoping that they would delay the surgery for more chemo.
36 year old mama to 3 (8,5,3)
Dx May 2014
Stage IV cc with met to cervix
2/134 pos LN
partial colectomy with temp ileostomy
folfox with avastin 6/14
Oct 14, hyst-mets to uterus, rt ovary implants
1/6/15 6 rounds of folfox
5/4/15 done with 28 tx chemo-rad
7/24/15 completion colectomy, NED!

juliej

Re: I have surgery coming up

Postby juliej » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Megan120, I hadn't even been in a hospital prior to my CRC surgery, so I know how scary it can be! Write a list of questions and take it with you to your appointment with the surgeon so you can get answers to everything that's worrying you. Ask about getting an epidural, pain control, length of stay in hospital, recovery time, etc. At my hospital (MSKCC) I found I could also get a lot of answers from the nurse during the pre-surgical testing. Try to eat healthy and get some gentle exercise in the next week or so. That way your body will be at its strongest for the surgery.

Hugs to you!
Julie
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Teddi
Facebook Username: teddimcfarland

Re: I have surgery coming up

Postby Teddi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm right "behind" you with my surgery coming up next month. I know exactly how you feel. Can't sleep or keep my mind quiet. Csections were much easier because of the prize at the end. Ostomy is not a prize....

Hang in there,
Teddi
47 at diagnosis
Colonoscopy, biopsy, CT, PET 6/14
Rectal cancer (tentatively) Stage III-b, MSS
Xeloda and radiation 25x finished 8/14
FOLFOX 5 cycles
Surgery 1/23/14 ~ T1N0MX ~ temp illeostomy
FOLFOX 3 cycles = total of 8
Illeostomy reversal 4/8/15
Clean scans x2, clear colonoscopy 9/15

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”