Tests, More Tests, and a Couple Questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
TheLadySkye

Tests, More Tests, and a Couple Questions

Postby TheLadySkye » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 pm

It seems like I have spent the last few weeks going from one test to another or knocked out with anesthesia. Yikes.

It's been a year since surgery, so it was colonoscopy time (even though my tumor was in the small intestine). Everything looks good! I do have a hemorrhoid that was described as "fibrous" in nature (not like other ones? What? Even my hemorrhoids are weird?). Nothing to worry about, but a likely (benign) cause of the narrowing stool I've been having.

The nice GI doctor also repeated the endoscopy going into the small intestine to check out the surgical site. He saw nothing of concern, but took a couple biopsies anyway just to be sure. Is it weird that I'm nervous about those results even though nothing untoward is expected?

Got the boobs squished (mammogram time) and all looks good. Alas, my pap showed "atypical cells." My GYN promises if she was concerned, that she would be the first one to tell me so. She says it's not cancer. It's not pre-cancer. It doesn't even look like anything that some day maybe wants to BE cancer. She suspects it's because I finished chemo less than six months ago and probably ALL my cells are a bit atypical at the moment. She'll be repeating the test in six months. Still, it's hard not to worry and be oversensitive to this. Have any of you ladies ever had an abnormal pap during treatment? Not to be prejudiced. Gentlemen, if you want to weigh in too, that would be just fine.

I have also been having issues with my right hip. It began during chemotherapy. Some pain at the front of the hip, difficulty holding weight, though I could usually walk around and loosen it up and it was okay. Oncologist did not seem overly concerned at my repeated mentionings and indicated that joint pain was pretty common during chemotherapy. Alas, it has not subsided (though chemo did at the end of April) and continues to worsen. The pain is near constant now, I can no longer loosen or lessen the pain with activity, and I am often stumbling around because I can't put full weight on it. Is this a chemo gift? Temporary? Permanent? I see the oncologist next week. Is there anything in particular I should ask for in terms of testing or expectations?

Thank you all for your thoughts and insights. You guys are the best!
TheLadySkye
Stage 2b (T4N0M0) small intestine (jejunum) 8/13
Small bowel resection 9/13
CT 10/13 - NED
FOLFOX chemotherapy 11/13 - 4/14
CT 6/14 - NED and my nemesis (the power port) out!
Clean colonoscopy and endoscopy 9/14
CT 12/14, 6/15 - NED!!!

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Re: Tests, More Tests, and a Couple Questions

Postby betsydoglover » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Regarding the PAP - my oncologist says she has constant arguments with gyns. A pap is often abnormal during or shortly after chemo. The gyn always says to wait and check again. My onc is of the opinion that it should not be done during chemo, because it just worries patients and nothing is done about it at the time of the test.

Whether the hip is related to chemo or not, see an orthopedic surgeon - he/she can tell you what's going on regardless of the cause.

Take care,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Well gals

I am in similar boat, but don't have Cancer/ chemo....
I went thru full under the hook check up:
Family Dr, Colonoscopy, mammogram.... held my breath when pap came back abnormal
I was sent in for a Colposcopy, they found Nothing butt want me to do pap's every 6 months
Not quite sure how to fit me in the schedule.... had 16 DR appts this month alone- 5 for family and the rest for hubby
Now a year has rolled by.... and I HAVE to fit it in next month

Thanks for bringing this up as a reminder
hope you both turn out OK
Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:19 pm

First the abnormal PAP is VERY normal for as many as two years or more after chemo. Normally they do an HPV test just to be sure, but it is really nothing to worry about. My PCP (I do not have a separate GYN (small island life)) did do another PAP the following year after my first one came out abnormal instead of the normal three year interval and that one came out normal. The abnormal one came back about 5 months after I finished chemo.

About the hip, I have been sort of one walking ache and pain since chemo ended over three years ago. First it was the shoulder (physical therapy), then the piriformis, back spasms, and outer thigh (piriformis might be your hip problem) treated with more physical therapy and acupuncture, and I am going in today for another hip issue. The onc and PCP claim it is not chemo related, but I never had any orthopedic issues before. I now have also been diagnosed with arthritis in my toes (probably neuropathy related). I have found lots of relief from both PT and acupuncture, and I just need to keep trying things till I get something that works. One thing that helps is to keep doing the exercises the PT gives me long after I have finished the PT.

Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

michelle73
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/michelle.dennis.3762

Postby michelle73 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 am

All very good information! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am about to begin chemotherapy for, as of now, an undetermined amount of time, for a liver metastases from colon cancer, and will undoubtedly run into these same problems I'm reading about here. I've just joined the Colon Club to follow discussions like these.
2/12 stage II CC
3/12 Xeloda/rad
5/12 colorectal resect, j-pouch, temp ileo
7/12 ileo reversal, clear nodes
10/12 hernia repair
3/14 infection, repaired
8/14 liver mets, 2 nodules left, right lobes
9/14 5FU, FOLFOX 6 rounds started, liver resect to follow

mstults

Postby mstults » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Welcome Michelle. Many of us have liver and lung mets.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Michele
I am sad you are here, but at the same time welcome you with open arms
GREAT place to be if you are in the "Club"

Vicki
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13