need opinions .....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Heidi

need opinions .....

Postby Heidi » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:48 am

I know I have not been on here for a bit but alot of things have been going on. As you all know about three to four weeks ago now I was taken off the oxyliplation, and told that I would need to go on 'campostar" as the oxy I had reached my limit with that and the side effects were getting bad, but the camp to replace it wouold make me loose my hair. I was so upset by thta that the Dr. decided to do chemo without both drugs and do an early CT scan and see what happens, well the tumors neither shrunk or grew, so he said we can do chemo with out the camp for now. Well my sister and family wanted me to go to the "CANCER TREATMENT CENTERS OF AMERICA" for a 2nd opinion. Well this week on Sunday we drove 7 hours to get o the one closest to us and met with a Dr. Willis, he informed me of things we had not heard of and even told me that xeloda works better than the stuff they are giving me now and I would not have to come home on the IV for 46 hours either. I will still get the avastin and the Lucovorin (Ithink the luc) but not sure and a dose of campostar and then for two weeks take xeolda by mouth they said it is a pill. So bottom line instead of chemo every two weeks and coming home on an IV it would change to every three weeks for chemo no IV to come home on and instead of having four hours of infusion it will be one and a half. Plus we learned about a drug that actually "turns off" the cancer making cells starts with a T but can not remember it, I will also be getting that....Why if the xeloda is better as this dr says ,,,why did my own dr. not suggest this and also this dr was very surprised to hear that my dr. also does not see it necessary for me to have anymore colonoscopy's, this Dr. was like WHAT????Also was a bit surprised also that there has been no "pet" scans since Jan done either. Well he has ordered me a pet scan to be done up here then I will send it to them. I am going to try this Dr and hosp, they are really nice up there and it seems like I am not just a number to them they have you meet with a whole team, Your Dr, Nutritionist, herbatoligist, councler, they teach you to relax, when I have Chemo on the 3rd(as I was supposed to have chemo on monday like usual with my reg oncoligist) but am going to cancel, the new Dr. will start chemo on the 3rd, I think that is so that my body gets all the old out????he assured me that it would be fine to waite.but when I get chemo up there the councler is going to come up and do relaxation teqniues with me..Has anyone heard of these centers and what is your opinion???? What do you all think of all of this ?????? Heidi

mtsko

Postby mtsko » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Heidi!
I am very glad you got a 2nd opinion. no colonoscopys? unheard of unless you don't have a colon! I get a PT/CTscan fusion every 3 months. and while you're on treatment it makes sense to get them to see how the treatment is wrkng. why did you have to stop oxaliplatin? what did it do to you? I'm currently on Erbitux and Oxaliplatin. Did camptosar and avastin before. Camptosar says it causes diarrea, but totally constipated me where I had to take laxatives regularly (i'm a weirdo!) This is my 2nd time having Oxali. all it does is the sensitivity to cold things. (not fun for the summer, I love ice cold drinks!) Good luck to you and check back often as this board has a lot of great advice and stories.
much love2U!
-mtsko
find the humor!

ASTEPHENS33

Xeloda

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:59 pm

I don't know about the specific treatment options, but I just finished Xeloda. From the research I did, Xeloda is the oral form of 5FU. (5FU has been around for a while and the oral form became available/finished field trials in 2005.) I took it everyday for two weeks and then had one week off - for a total for 8 cycles or 24 weeks.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”