Where We Are At

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
chixter

Where We Are At

Postby chixter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:48 pm

It is with a sad heart that I post the news that we are in the final stages of this struggle. After consulting with the team at MSK and our local oncologist, Katie has made the decision not to pursue further treatments. We have signed on with Home Hospice out of Meridian Health today. We looked at the Y-90 option... the radiologists won’t touch it because to be effective, they would have to irradiate 2/3rds of her liver. The Stivarga was only viable chemical option. In a collective opinion of her team, it has about a 10% chance of being effective of halting progression and that is at the maximum dose. The probable side effects of this drug would be quite harsh given her condition. Kate has had it with this. For the last 3 weeks she has been chemo free and despite disease progression, is awake more, eats more, and is quite comfortable in her hospital type bed in her den. She is connected to her friends via social media, has her music system, TV and movies. Her bathroom is just down the hall (we put a commode height increaser on the toilet). She is home in her surroundings with her boyfriend, her mom and dad, and her beloved animals a cat and 2 dogs. She wishes this now more than anything and indicated that to the Hospice people today. She is managing her pain well with her scripts, and now that Hospice is on board, the team will keep her that way. Objective = comfortable as possible for as long as possible. Home at all costs.

Kate does not want anyone to think she is just giving up. The reality is, she never had a chance to fight. At the time of Dx she had numerous liver mets further testing indicated genome variations that are extremely resistant to chemo drugs, and a very rare and aggressive type of neuroendocrine primary cancer. Remember all you new Clubbers…her condition is not typical in the least. If she had “normal” adenocarcinoma the FOLFOX, or FOLFIRI would have at least put a dent in things. 5 tx of each did nothing, not even a slowdown. It SUCKS.

Now, heres where y’all come in. I need MEGA chicken swinging for an event. One of Kates Bucket List items was to see Tom Petty in concert. We acquired 4 tickets for the Sept. 15th show at Philly Wells Fargo Center. By all the G~ds, The Blood of Oden, and all that is in me I want to get her to this concert. She will be wheelie-chair bound but Wifey talked to the peeps at the event…they have a special place for us handicappers to be, actually better than our original seats. I want this so bad for her, even if we can’t stay the entire duration. So Voodoo, Santa-Ria, Wicca, prayers, chickens, frogs…for energy that she can hold out and be strong enough to make this.

Oh, and as a follow up to a prior post…I got my colonoscopy done this morning. Yippi i-o ki yay. Clean. GI said I did an excellent prep {ya that’s what sitting on a throne all night with a gallon of Mirilax in you will do} He removed a “very small polyp”. He waved his hand and told me they send it to pathology as matter of course but in his opinion its nothing. He does about 12 of these per day for the last 20 years, so I guess he knows what he’s looking at. Follow up in 2 weeks after path report. I got to see my 3 diverticula holes…yea the guy took photos to show me.

So, that’s what’s going on here at the Jersey beach near the end of this terrible summer. I know I can count on your energies.

Peace, Greg
ImageFather/Caregiver to beautiful 25 y/o daughter with mCRC Stg 4

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: Where We Are At

Postby Bev G » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Greg, I just wanted you to know I read this, but I've got absolutely nothing right now. I hate that I don't because I so desperately want to say something comforting to you. I.JUST.CAN'T.RIGHT.NOW. I am beyond as sorry as I could possibly be, and will write again. Praying for the concert.

Love,

Bev

Really glad you got the scope done, and it was negative.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

SugarBubbie
Facebook Username: Rhonda Pinkston

Postby SugarBubbie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:00 pm

My heart is so torn for you.......:(

In my back yard now, I just saw two of the biggest hawks I have ever seen in my life. They were absolutely beautiful and awesome as they flew away. I wondered if it meant anything and now I do as that was the first thing I thought about after reading your post. Your beautiful daughter has me swinging hawks for her. I hope it works!!
DX Stage II anal cancer 2007 age 57
Radiation 6 weeks, Xeloda/oxilaplatin
DX Breast cancer Jun 2011 Stage3 one lymph nodes
Taxol 12 weeks FAC 4 tx, 31 radiations
5 year survivor certificate from MDA 2012 for anal cancer
DX triple neg bc oct 2015 4 rounds adriamyicyn, 20 radiations
"Positivity has no downside"

Nixma

Postby Nixma » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm swinging chickens and sending lots of positive energy your way and will continue to do so.
42 F when diagnosed July 13
July 2013 Large tumor removed vie R hemi colectomy
no chemo
January 14 CEA doubles
Pet Lites up
Now Lymph nodes near pancreas cancerous
Stage 4 mcrc
Folfox 3/18/14
Hysterectomy 7/15/14
Resume Folfox 8/27/14

Easyflip
Facebook Username: Richard Jue

Postby Easyflip » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Greg,
You are a great Dad. Being a father myself I can't imagine the heartache you must be feeling. Big energy to your whole family.
Congrats on the clean screening
Easyflip/Richard
56 yo dad and husband
3/13 stage 3b crc 1/23 lymph nodes pos
4/13 colectomy 2' of colon removed
11/13 finished 12 rounds Folfox
1/14 lymph node false alarm
3/14 declared NED
7/14 1.6 cm liver met found with pet/ct stage 4
9/14 liver resection surgery

Marian1961

Postby Marian1961 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:26 pm

I can't even imagine the extent of your heartache. I'm sorry, for all of you, cat and dogs included. Sending energy, peace, love for a great concert, a pain free night of joy for Kate!
Caregiver 53 brother
Dx 09/13 stage iv, met liver
Emergency stoma
? Chemo 09/30

Staci's team

Postby Staci's team » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 pm

What a load of sucknitude, Greg. Those who have been around for awhile will recognize the depth of emotion, prayer, and support I send when I say that I send you "my strongest thoughts."

I am glad to hear that Katie is able to spend her time free from pain. Hard as it may be for some to hear, I have appreciated your forthrightness throughout all of your posts. Thank you also for reminding the newbies that Katie's situation is atypical. Your perspective has been a wonderful addition to this board, and I look forward to being able to read of it for a long time to come.

Chris
Husband to Staci, diagnosed at age 32
Clinical dx Stage II/III rectal cancer, 7/2009
APR surgery 11/09 leading to...
Pathological dx Stage IIIB, ypT3N1M0, 11/2009
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/staciwills
Member of The Colon Club's Board of Directors

esk2poo

Postby esk2poo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Greg,
So sorry to hear this. I will be praying hard. For strength to make it tot the concert, for pain free time, and for peace for Katie, you, and all of your family.
God bless,
Allen
Dx 8/23/11 stage 3b crc
3 of 11 LN's
resection 9/15/11
folfox start 10/31/11 12 sessions
De-ported 6/2012
clear CT 7/2012
Clear colonoscopy 9/2012

ziggymonster

Postby ziggymonster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Greg, I am sorry for all that Katie and her family have gone thru in dealing with this effing disease.....I hope Katie enjoys her concert and stays comfortable free from any pain. Positive thoughts to all.
DX advanced prostate cancer 2002
2014 still fighting mPca , failed surgery, radiation, hormone
DX Stage IIIa Rectal Cancer 12/12 1 of 12 nodes +
LAR permanent colostomy 1/13
Folfox 2/13 - 7/13 clear CT CEA 1.2
7/14 liver met chemo the resect in Oct
6/15 2 pos lung mets watching for now

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Praying. Swinging poultry. Hoping Katie can keep on "running down her dreams" with tom petty at the concert. One of my favorite groups.
peace.
rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Chixter,
So sorry you've arrived here so soon. I can't imagine what you're feeling. Kate sounds like a wonderful daughter and I hope she gets to that concert. I'm glad she's deciding how she will spend her time now. Enjoy your time with her. Love to you, Kate, wifey, and all others whose life Kate has touched.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm so sad to hear this. I hope she has some time left and that she can be pain free. And of course I will give my best incantations for her to be able to see this concert.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

raym

Postby raym » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Sorry the treatment options did not work out and swinging chickens for the concert! I totally understand that she is not giving up, but wants to have good days without the chemo. I have faced and am again facing a similar decision though my cancer is not debilitating at this time.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

Georgie
Facebook Username: Georgie Adams

Postby Georgie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Sending all kinds of positivity and strength for the concert to be a success. I hope it is the goal that Katie can aim towards and get to and enjoy. It's not anywhere near the same but I went to an Eddie Vedder concert with a chemo bottle around my neck. I was exhausted but it was worth it.

My thoughts are with you all. It just plain sucks. But I'm glad Katie has made decisions and is coming to terms with it all. Her strength is inspiring. (As is yours as her dad and that of your family and friends.)

And, btw, great work getting the scope done amongst all this. I'm sure that will help Katie too, knowing that you are ok.

Georgie.
Nuclear Medicine/PET Tech
Stage 3 T4N1M0 Rectal Ca diag 1/11 at age 29
Clinical trial (chemoradiation) 12 wks incl FOLFOX
Surgery 14 June '11
Post op infection
Iliostomy reversal 12 Sept '11
NED 6 years!
2017 Stage II Breast cancer triple positive
BRCA2 mutation
Bilateral mastectomy, chemo, herceptin

coloradowalt

Postby coloradowalt » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. Swinging chickens, sending positive vibes and praying for your concert plans to work.
DW 53
12/13 DX Stage IV liver, Peritoneal and LN
12/13 Colon resection
02/14 FOLFOX with Avastin (thru 08/06)
08/26 Aborted liver resection
09/22 FOLFIRI
09/26 Obstruction, massive tumor (pelvic floor and left abdomen)
10/02 Our journey ends

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”