UC flare and starting neoadjuvant therapies?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DanielR

UC flare and starting neoadjuvant therapies?

Postby DanielR » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Just discovered this forum, which has come as a bit of a relief - so thanks to whoever is responsible. Had UC for 24 years, flares intermittently, two hospitalizations in the past 2 years (after only having one in the previous 22). Diagnosed with rectal cancer about 3 weeks ago on finding a mass during colonoscopy. Been a lot of back and forth since diagnosis, with 2 cancelled dates for surgery after various scans were inconclusive regarding whether it's a T2 or T3 tumor. As a result have settled on neoadjuvant therapy - 28 days of radiation with Xeloda, starting on Wednesday 9/10. Problem is that my UC is flaring. Concerned about the whole immuno-suppressant issue, since last time I was hospitalized my system was so beat-up that I ended up back at the hospital two weeks later having caught PCP pneumonia which nearly did for me (I'm 43 by the way). But am more worried right now just about starting these therapies with a flare starting up, given how the side effects might exacerbate an already delicate situation down there. Anyone been in this situation? Any advice? Rad onc said we'd monitor carefully and seeing my GI on Monday, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this.
Last edited by DanielR on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43 year old professor
Ulcerative Colitis since 1993
Rectal cancer diagnosed 8/10/14
28 sessions Radiation & Xeloda started 9/10/14

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Re: UC flare and starting neoadjuvant therapies?

Postby jens22 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 pm

How did the rest of your colonoscopy look? maybe the flare up isn't as bad as you think it might be. Nerves sure aren't helping. You can always stop if flare up can't be controlled to your liking with neoadjunct. I hate UC too!
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

DanielR

Re: UC flare and starting neoadjuvant therapies?

Postby DanielR » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks. Rest of colonoscopy looked pretty good. But symptoms pretty bad now nonetheless. My UC has always been active low down, but has caused a lot of grief nonetheless. Guess I'll have to just see how it goes.
43 year old professor
Ulcerative Colitis since 1993
Rectal cancer diagnosed 8/10/14
28 sessions Radiation & Xeloda started 9/10/14

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”