Low Anterior Resection Syndrome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Star_Survivor

Low Anterior Resection Syndrome

Postby Star_Survivor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Wow, I wish I had found this forum when I was diagnosed with rectal cancer! I was diagnosed with stage 1 adenocarcinoma of the rectum in 2006. I was treated with low anterior resection (LAR) with the tumor being very close to the sphincter muscle. I had a temporary ileostomy at the time which was reversed in late 2006. I have never been diagnosed with it, but my research of symptoms sounds like I have low anterior resection syndrome (LARS). I tolerate it pretty good, but I have some bad days as well. My questions for everyone is that I have poor gall bladder function and it looks like I will eventually need to have it removed. I know that after that surgery people often suffer from dumping syndrome. Has anyone had to have a cholecystectomy after LAR? Did it worsen the LARS symptoms? I'm sure I can wait a little while on the gall bladder surgery, but not sure how long. Thanks for any input.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Re: Low Anterior Resection Syndrome

Postby Jachut » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

I have no idea but I do have many people I know who have never had a problem after a gall bladder op - no diarrhoea, no dumping. Its totally possible you wont either. There's got to be loads of people here who dont have gall bladders.

alphagam
Facebook Username: Kathy Maine Ruess

Postby alphagam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:57 pm

I didn't have an LAR, but the longer I waited to have my gallbladder removed, the worse the diarrhea became. Had both gallbladder and appendix removed in April. The first couple of days I didn't stray far from the toilet, but since then I gave not had ONE problem at all. Both gallbladder and appendix were infected, but I had no pain, so just didn't do anything. Wish I had done it much sooner!
Dx Feb 2010 4 cm tumor, just inside rectum
EUS stated T3 tumor
2nd opinion, need better path
Mar 2010 transanal surgery. Surgery by board certified CRS found tumor only in lining
6 exams of surg site, 3 PET, 3 scopes laterNED.
Scope in Mar2015, clean colon
Next scope/test in 3 years

Star_Survivor

Postby Star_Survivor » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:06 pm

Thanks for the input! I I'm sure I will opt for the surgery, It may be part of the problem with the LARS. Maybe having it out will improve the symptoms.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:06 am

My gall bladder was removed when I had my liver resection. There was nothing wrong with it, but my surgeon said if it ever became a problem they could have serious difficulty getting it out because I had very major surgery getting the liver tumor out (ie tons of scar tissue). About 10% of people have chronic diarrhea after cholecystectomy (raises hand :-) )

Best wishes, and welcome to the board.

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”