new here

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Guinevere

Re: new here

Postby Guinevere » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31 am

Is it possible that the extra chemo is Avastin? If so, it definitely might be that your dad's age plays into the doc not using. The only side effects I had was a headache every and then I had nosebleeds. I also had, earlier in the year, four stents placed in three arteries so it might not have anything to do with his heart. Ask his onc and see why he didn't prescribe it. If your dad's happy with answer, then keep on truckin'. It sounds like he wants to fight and they can always stop treatment if it gets to be too much for him.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:01 am

Thank you Elvie!! Your words meant a lot to me!
Yes, Guin, that was the extra drug I was wondering about. I came home yesterday, he was still doing ok. He gets his bottle off today and his stitches from his port. My daughter lives 20 minutes from them and is a nurse, so she is going to meet them and learn how to remove it safely so she can do that for him from now on and save them a trip to the clinic each session. I go back to work next week (I work in a school) so will see how the chemo goes the next few rounds and maybe wait to take time off until he really needs the help. My brother is able to go the next time just to be there for any instructions that might come up that mom can't remember. He has an appt already again with the oncologist next week that we didn't anticipate. We thought we wouldnt see him until the chemo was over and the catscan back. My dad did get a call yesterday from the hospital and we think it was the doctor checking up on him which was great. Dad asked about his sugar levels and hopefully that will get straightened out now. So far no complaints about his care, it has been compassionate and so helpful for the rest of us to. We are very blessed that this new center opened up just in time for my family!
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:48 am

I just wanted to update on my dad. He did very well with his first chemo. He had a bit of constipation and a bit more diarrhea then normal. He was a wee bit nauseated after day 4 but managed without any meds. (they gave him meds for days 1-3 as a precaution) He stayed active, did his usual coffee with the guys every morning and felt relatively good! I realize that it likely will get worse with each treatment, but we all were relieved that it didnt nail him hard right off the bat. Also his sugar has returned to normal and he said he feels great. One thing that I am curious about is that he told me last night that yesterday he had his first normal bowel movement since this nightmare began last May. Now he has not been on any imodium or anything since Saturday. The doctor had told us when he was diagnosed that imodium wouldn't help his diarrhea as it was being caused by the blockage in his colon. Could one treatment shrink it enough for things to pass easier? I can't imagine that it works that fast, but we can't come up with any other reason. He does see his oncologist today so I told him to mention this to him. I did not mention anything to my dad but am excited for him, even if this is just a coincidence, feeling better will help him see that maybe something will help and to go forward with his treatments. He sounded really good last night, even joked around with me. Whatever the cause, it was nice to have my dad back for a bit!
DD to 81 year old father
shrinkage of all mets
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Oncologist appointment went very well today. He was very pleased with how my dad had managed the first chemo treatment. Last appt he wasnt willing to talk surgery until after his scan the end of October, but today he did talk about it being an option IF the chemo works well. I feel he wouldnt last appt as he wasnt sure how dad would take the chemo and now that he saw he is very strong, he is giving us a bit more hope. I know a few of you think we are crazy even trying to battle this demon given his age and I respect your opinions, but this is my dad, he is my kids grandpa and he has great grandkids that want to get to know him! I feel guilty even saying that when there is so much sadness on this board with people a quarter his age who are not doing well or have lost the battle, but he is important to us!! Seeing all the positive posts the past few days have helped to bring my spirits up again. There is hope still and until we have exhausted the few options that are available to him without taking away from his quality of life, we are going to battle this beast!!
DD to 81 year old father
shrinkage of all mets
At peace January 8, 2017

ForDad

Postby ForDad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi canadiandaughter,

It's great that your dad managed his first chemo round very well. I really empathize with your situation. Regardless of age, it is a tough balance act to treat the disease, alleviate the pain, and maintain quality of life. I think that's what we're all trying to do. It makes sense to fight cancer as aggressively as your Dad can tolerate, and as long as he agrees to it. That's probably the only way to not have any regrets later. It sounds like this is what your family is doing.

My friend's mother was 84 years old at stage IV lung cancer diagnosis. She was given chemo dosage appropriate for her age and physical condition. In between chemo treatments, her mother managed to go on trips to New York City, Great Britain, and other nearby places in California. If they had to do it all over again, they would 100%.

Re: Avastin, my dad received FOLFOXIRI and FOLFOX, both without Avastin. My dad responded very well to chemo, and his liver — initially inoperable due to the tumors' location — became resectable.

Best wishes to you, your dad, and your family.
Sue
Daughter to Dad age 67 @dx, Dec. 2013 (now 73)
Stage IV cecum, 4 liver mets, CEA 21.8
MSS, KRAS mutant (G13D), MLH1 mutant (V384D), and TP53 mutant (G245S)
1/14 FOLFOXIRI, 2x
2/14 FOLFOX, 1x
3/14 Right hemicolectomy, 2/38 nodes
4/14 FOLFOX, 4x
8/14 Liver resection
9/14 Liver tumor growth: microwave ablation
10/14 FOLFIRI, 6x
1/15 NED
2/16 8 to 10 lesions in lungs
3/16 Avastin + 5FU, 72x
4/19 Growth in lungs, lymph nodes. FOLFIRI + Avastin, 4x (CEA 12.4)
7/19 Started Stivarga + Opdivo
10/19 Start Hospice

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Thank you Sue, it sounds like things are going well for your dad, that is awesome!
I went to my doctor today and go for blood work tomorrow and then meet with her next week for results and to see about a colonoscopy. She felt 5 years would be a good time frame for me being I had one polyp but thought being my dad has now been diagnosed, the blood work might show something that might get me in sooner if need be. Here in Canada it can be quite a wait unless it is urgent. FOr example my dad got in for his in a week, my mom booked in a week later and can't get in until Feb to the same doctor. Our system is great if you really need something but slow as heck for routine tests.
DD to 81 year old father
shrinkage of all mets
At peace January 8, 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”