I am new and a bit frightened

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
keepinghope

I am new and a bit frightened

Postby keepinghope » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:13 am

I'm not sure where to post about this stuff so I guess I'll start here. I'm 29 and have had chronic bad diarrhea for years and years. It's gotten worse and the pains are worse.

Today I'm having a CT and my dr mentioned looking for colon cancer. I was supposed to have a colonoscopy this past Monday but dr decided to do a CT first.

I seriously thought the near constant yellow Diarhhea was normal as were the painful bowel movements.

This ct today I have to drink a prep (no food or drink after 9 am) and then it will be iv contrast. Would the CT really show my bowels enough for a diagnosis? Will it show anything?

I'm worried. We have history of colon cancer

Delinda

Re: I am new and a bit frightened

Postby Delinda » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:20 am

I'll let some of the experienced members of the group address specific questions - and trust me they will. I'm still a novice being less than 4 months into my journey but have found this group to be very well informed, compassionate, willing to share their knowledge & experiences, and funny like you can't believe. Sometimes a huge belly laugh is the best thing for you. You will find all this and more in the CC. I can offer unconditional support & promise to be beside you in spirit, holding your hand as you wait - and probably mothering you a bit. Sit tight, the knowledgeable crew is just waking, having coffee, and swinging chickens (you'll learn, lol) but should be along shortly to help. Good luck & let us know how things go. Hugs, XXOXO, Delinda
62 yo wife & mom
4/14 dx stage IIIC colon cancer
4.5cm tumor, 9/28 nodes
temp colostomy, take down 6/14
7/14 start FOLFOX, 6 mo

sbrainbolt

Postby sbrainbolt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:26 am

Sorry you have a reason to seek out this forum, but it is a great place to come and ask questions of people who really know and get what you are going through. None of us are doctors and can not diagnose, but we can share our experiences and hope they will help.

I would insist upon a colonoscopy.

Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon!
Susan
DX 1/12 50 yrs
LAR 2/12 CR 3A T1N1M0
chemo 3/12- 9/10/12 FOLFOX, issues with platelet counts every 4th treatment
CEA normal
CT 3/15 stable lung nods since 1/2012 NED.
SBO kinked small bowel 10/13 - LAPRO surgery to fix
yrly scans now
09/25/2017 - Graduated to the Survivorship Clinic at MDA! Cured!!!

paulbasel

Postby paulbasel » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:39 am

Hello and welcome to the group. I am also new but have learned a lot about my cancer since I have been here.

A CT scan is the best alternative to a colonoscopy. It can show whether there is an abnormal mass in the colon however, if one is found then you must have a colonoscopy to obtain a biopsy. This is necessary to see if it is cancerous or not. By the way a colonoscopy is not that bad.

Most gastroenterologists use the anesthetic propofol in their office colonoscopy examination. You don't have to have it done in the hospital, at least not here in Switzerland. With this anesthetic there are no after effects and the procedure is painless because you are not awake during any part of the examination. You simply leave and feel fine afterwards.

My own case started with diarrhea some 6 months before a routine colonoscopy when a tumor was found and it was cancerous. However, just because you have diarrhea doesn't mean that you have colon cancer. Try not to jump to conclusions, just take it a step at a time. I wish you all the best and if you have more questions, ask away.

Paul
Male 76 at Dx
Dx CRC 5/20
PET CT both neg. 5/23
Open left hemicolectomy 6/13
Stage IIA 6/18
Dx: pT3 pN0 (0/29) L0 G2 V2 Pn0 R0
Xeloda 8 cycles 7/25

keepinghope

Postby keepinghope » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:39 am

sbrainbolt wrote:Sorry you have a reason to seek out this forum, but it is a great place to come and ask questions of people who really know and get what you are going through. None of us are doctors and can not diagnose, but we can share our experiences and hope they will help.

I would insist upon a colonoscopy.

Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon!
Susan

oh definitely. The colonoscopy will be scheduled as soon as I get my a ct results.

I took an ativan to keep me calm for the CT scan. Got to be there in an hour

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 am

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know know that my husband had a ct scan first also and it did not show the cancer in his colon! They thought it was a "walled in appendicitis". They did a scope, colonoscopy the following day just confirm that their was nothing wrong in the colon and there it was, a big cancerous tumor in his cecum, the very start of his large intestine ( colon). It did not show on the scan! My advice to you is to have a scope anyway if nothing shows on the scan!

I hope all comes back ok for you,

deb m

paulbasel

Postby paulbasel » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 am

You will not have any problem with the CT, easy peasy.
Male 76 at Dx
Dx CRC 5/20
PET CT both neg. 5/23
Open left hemicolectomy 6/13
Stage IIA 6/18
Dx: pT3 pN0 (0/29) L0 G2 V2 Pn0 R0
Xeloda 8 cycles 7/25

janderson

Postby janderson » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:00 am

It's usually colonoscopy first then ct scan if something is found. I would insist on a colonoscopy regardless of what the ct shows. You cant beat the accuracy of a camera looking at your insides and if there is even a small polyp they can remove it at the same time they are in there. Even if the ct scan shows something they will still have to do a colonoscopy to get a sample to biopsy or hopefully remove it with a snare if it is small enough. I hope it all works out ok for you. I would hate for you to have to deal with colon cancer at such a young age.
DX 10-05 stage IV
liver resection 12-05 Folfox1-05 to 7-06
Liver resection 8-07 Folfiri 9-07 to 3-08
Liver resection 12-11
Recurrence 2/7/2014, liver, chestwall mets, 16 rounds chemo
7/3/14, y90 radioembolization, steady shrinkage
12/8/14, cryoablation to liver and chest wall
6/1 to 6/26 SBRT radio surgery
7/2 more cryo ablation to right lung
7/16 lung infection drain tube installed
9/4 chest wall resection to remove 2 ribs

Icesk8tr

Postby Icesk8tr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Definitely go for the colonoscopy.

The only reason I had a CT first, was because I went to the ER with pain. I had a colonoscopy very soon after that.

Good Luck.

Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

keepinghope

Postby keepinghope » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:53 pm

CT is done. Drank iodine and iv iodine. Now just to wait for the results. My colonoscopy is in 2 weeks

keepinghope

Postby keepinghope » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Oh! I did get a disk of my scan. I've been going through trying to identify stuff. All o can find is my liver, gallbladder and kidneys

chixter

Postby chixter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Get the colonoscopy. Find out what is going on, it can be a number of things besides cancer. A clean CT scan and a clean colonoscopy will give you a sense of well being I assure you.
ImageFather/Caregiver to beautiful 25 y/o daughter with mCRC Stg 4

mstults

Postby mstults » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 pm

A CT doesn't necessarily get a good picture of the colon. It does however get a good one of the other organs. You need both.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”