Can I survive without chemo? Stage 4!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jason43

Can I survive without chemo? Stage 4!!

Postby Jason43 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Since being diagnosed in November my life as we all know has been turned inside out. I have been on chemo and recently was given a 5 week chemo break. My oncologist still says my liver is filled with tumors. I am unable to be operated on but here's what I don't understand. Theses last 5 weeks I have gained 35 pounds. My appetite is ridiculous. I have been able to exercise at the gym, swim and lastly play golf often. I'm suppose to start chemo again this Wednesday. I was asked to play in a huge golf tourney the next 2 weeks wich I really want to play in. That would mean 7 weeks without chemo. I feel like I've had my life back in the past 5 weeks. I really want these next 2 weeks to play golf but I am so so nervous about taking 2 more weeks away from treatment. Can someone leave some input. I feel great without chemo!!! I'm just so scared about dying because I don't take the chemo. Please help with some input. Thanks so much.
Stage 4
Many spots on liver 11/19/13
Unable to resect liver
Tumor removed 11/26/13
Liver resection 11/7/14
Lung resection 1/10/15
New tumors on liver already after 1st scan after surgeries.
Back on chemo 2/4/15
CEA from 1.7 to 37.2 8/10/2015
CEA 22.5 but have quadrupled in my lungs
Went through every chemo
I fought the fight. Gods hands now. Or Trials?

KWT

Re: Can I survive without chemo? Stage 4!!

Postby KWT » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:26 pm

I feel like a May die with or without chemo. I'm not worried about a week or two.

ziggymonster

Postby ziggymonster » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:29 pm

I would talk to your oncologist...explain what is going on. With that said I can't believe that a 2 week delay would do any harm.
DX advanced prostate cancer 2002
2014 still fighting mPca , failed surgery, radiation, hormone
DX Stage IIIa Rectal Cancer 12/12 1 of 12 nodes +
LAR permanent colostomy 1/13
Folfox 2/13 - 7/13 clear CT CEA 1.2
7/14 liver met chemo the resect in Oct
6/15 2 pos lung mets watching for now

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:06 pm

Jason,

I don't, recall what sort of chemo you were on previously. My wife did the 12 rounds of FOLFOX 9 of those with Avastin. Once every two weeks. She tolerated that pretty well, but the did knock the Oxaliplatin down to 80% for the last three to avoid bad neuropathy since they knew she was a runner. Then her oncologist removed the Oxaliplatin, and she had about 4 months on just the 5-FU and Avastin every other week, and now it's once every three weeks but with a higher dose of Avastin. No breaks really now closing on a year. However, her quality of life is very good. She is back to training for races, rides her horse, and works her dogs pretty much the same as before. She still has mets on her liver, but they are calcifying. The ones that were on her spleen, they can't see anymore on the CT scan, and what they originally thought might be small mets on her lung the oncologist is not convinced of any more. So perhaps some sort of maintenance therapy like my wife's could be beneficial to you without debilitating you.

I am not a fan of chemo breaks unless medically one has to, because my belief is that you give the little buggers a break as well, and they may surge once the pressure is off. Also, as Kenny and Ziggy..says an extra week or two at this point probably isn't going to make a lot of difference. Things must have progressed well enough in your treatment for your oncologist to give you a big break like that. Talk it over with him.

Regards, GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Jason
Best to check with oncologist. Son had no chemo for 5 mths due to medical problems and had little growth. He was on maintenance chemo and cancer grew so it really is individual I think.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

Redtexa5

Postby Redtexa5 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Check with your Oncologist and see what he or she says, but you have to remember none of us are getting out alive Jason. Don't be so afraid of death you don't live.
Start of symptoms 9/08
Dx Stage IIIc/IV CC 2/09
T4bNxM0
Colostomy 2/09
Radiation/5FU 3/09-5/09
FOLFOX 6 6/09-8/09
9/09 Tumor removed Colostomy reversed
10/09-1/10 FOLFOX 6
3/10-2/15 NED
2/14 Colonoscopy NED
2/15 Colonoscopy NED
6/15 PET/CT NED
2/17 7 years NED

Frenchie's Wife

Postby Frenchie's Wife » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:44 am

I have been on the cancer journey for almost 5 years ( sept 18/ 2009. I asked my oncologist how much longer would chemo extend my life. With colon cancer, he predicted that it would probably extent it by 12 to 18 months. I went along and did it for 6 months.I asked again after the next 3 more 6 month sessions. After some reflection by the doctor, he said any more would have minimal long term value for living longer. It is more like a maintenance chemo. I have been off all chemo since February. I had extreme fatigue during all my chemo infusions, I spent almost 20 hours in bed on and after infusion days. My biggest concern was staying in this fatigued state till the end of my days. QOL IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME ! I am 5 months off chemo and darn near back to normal physically and mentally. I am now back in TOTAL control of my body !! I am having an awesome summer emptying my bucket list and I have already started a second one. I honestly believe doctors prescribe chemo to the end so patients can cling to a shred of hope. This results in a poor QOL UNTILL DAYS BEFORE DEATH. Is that how you want to go ?? Let's see how much longer God will let me enjoy myself before pulling the plug. This should give you some kind of benchmark to go by.

Frenchie
Caregiver to DH 59 yr, male, Stage IV at Dx
Dx Sept 2009
Liver,bladder mets, 5 surgeries
Lots of chemo
Inoperable lung mets nov 2013
Stopped all treatments in February 2014 due to QOL issues
I am in God's hands now !!
Feb 2015 - too many new mets to count !
At peace July 9, 2017

big mike
Facebook Username: Michael.rosenbach

Postby big mike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:20 am

All of you stage 4 people really have such strong attitude not one of you want to curl up. You bring the fight and the will till live of chemo for how ever little time seems to be important to you all. I hope bucket lists are filled and refilled cars are bought and raced golf tournaments are entered and won and remission from this shit is yours for as long as it lasts . I'm on my 11th. Round adjuvant chemo and while I was sure I would recurre I always think the worse we will see as I read your stories I get hope that I to will live with it or without it. But I won't quit or stop fighting
Good luck
Be strong
Fight the fight
God bless
Mike
DX 10/1/13
Stage 3a
28 days xeloda radiation
4 rounds oxaliplatin
Surgery 2/5/14
0/27 LN
12 rounds 5FU leucovorin