OT Grilling chicken

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
peanut_8

Re: OT Grilling chicken

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 pm

Half can of beer. Must dispose of the other half someway else. :lol:
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:26 am

Nothing but nothing beats a Weber. And the beer can chicken is amazing. We do it on the Weber with a full can on a special rack thingy we bought.

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:57 pm

To whom it may concern, I love bantering with CR as it keeps me from thinking about what I may be encountering at any time. People as intelligent as CR, and Voxx , BB , Jaynee and Bev. all keep me in focus of what really matters. If lighthearted threads like this raise a smile to anyone's face, I've done what little I can to brighten your day. Please note I do not try to make light of anyone's situation, as I could have mets, I don't even know about. Once touched by cancer, life is a day to day affair, and everyone deals with it as they can. Thank you for putting up with my banter, none is meant with malice.
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Love you, Michael. You are one of the truly bright spots around here. Soooooo good to have you.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Cut whole chicken in pieces. Leave skin on. Marinate in (soy sauce, sherry, oil). Add a little bit of brown sugar to the marinade and slather over chicken before tossing on the grill, to get a good caramelized coating. Eat with abandon, being sure to lick the sweet/savory gooey goodness off your fingers. Yum!

SugarBubbie
Facebook Username: Rhonda Pinkston

Postby SugarBubbie » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Howdy back atch ya Michael......from me and the hubster in SL.

I have Dr. Eng down at the main campus as my onc, she had a clinical trial for my anal cancer that has an even better outcome than the usual protocol....so I signed up. But for her trial you had to go down to her in the Med Center. I do go see Dr. Arzu for radiation follow up for both of my cancers.....she's at the SL campus. So you might see me there sometime, I'm the one with the hubby who gets better attention than me (the patient) since he's so funny with everyone and they all love him. :D

Speaking of the funny hubby, he said to tell you that the way your cutting the chicken for the grill is called "spatch cocking" it.... :roll:
DX Stage II anal cancer 2007 age 57
Radiation 6 weeks, Xeloda/oxilaplatin
DX Breast cancer Jun 2011 Stage3 one lymph nodes
Taxol 12 weeks FAC 4 tx, 31 radiations
5 year survivor certificate from MDA 2012 for anal cancer
DX triple neg bc oct 2015 4 rounds adriamyicyn, 20 radiations
"Positivity has no downside"

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 pm

I think it's a good thing to have o/t posts here from time to time. It's nice to be able to talk to the people on here about something else than the disease on occasion. (even when people make the mistake of believing beer can chicken is actually a good cooking method ha ha)
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I enjoy the good natured bantering as much as I enjoy beer can chicken. :mrgreen:
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:46 pm

justin case wrote: If lighthearted threads like this raise a smile to anyone's face, I've done what little I can to brighten your day. Please note I do not try to make light of anyone's situation, as I could have mets, I don't even know about. Once touched by cancer, life is a day to day affair, and everyone deals with it as they can.

Truer words were never spoken.
As much of a fan, as I am, of lighthearted topics and what I offer, passing for "humor" ... :shock:
The Yin Yang balance IS always there in each of our own situations.
I try not to dwell at either extremity, BUTT instead .... find some way to juggle myself in between.

The lighter topics are what I gravitate to, and I admit we used to do a lot more of them in the past
( I am an old timer, having aggravated folks here since 2008 ! :twisted: )
I hope that their resurgence will indeed make folks lives a little less serious, easier to contemplate, even for only a few brief moments of sharing with friends ..."who know".... That is what I believe we are here.... a community of those who know the real value of life, as we live it each day in the best way we can, sometimes against seemingly insurmountable challenges.

WE always know we have each other, 24/7, with whatever we need to share.

Word.

In Love, Peace and Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:55 pm

SugarBubbie wrote:Howdy back atch ya Michael......from me and the hubster in SL.

I have Dr. Eng down at the main campus as my onc, she had a clinical trial for my anal cancer that has an even better outcome than the usual protocol....so I signed up. But for her trial you had to go down to her in the Med Center. I do go see Dr. Arzu for radiation follow up for both of my cancers.....she's at the SL campus. So you might see me there sometime, I'm the one with the hubby who gets better attention than me (the patient) since he's so funny with everyone and they all love him. :D

Speaking of the funny hubby, he said to tell you that the way your cutting the chicken for the grill is called "spatch cocking" it.... :roll:

Unfortunately, MD Anderson never returned my calls. At Hwy 59, just before Hwy 6, is a facility called Sugarland Cancer Center. It is mostly a radiation facility, and is run by Dr. OH. This doctor played such an integral part of my cancer journey, I cannot even begin to tell you everything. As an example, I was having a bladder problem and called the cell # I was given. The doctor picked up the phone while she was cooking dinner for her family, no answering service required. She also referred me to another onc, because I thought I was being over treated. She actually went out of network, and recommended someone with whom she had great respect. If MD Anderson had ever contacted me, there is a facility less than 5 miles from my house in Katy.
Regards,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

edgellc

Postby edgellc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Im not to sure where to start here... I must say that I am a little more than taken aback with the contents of this thread. I have now read it in its entirety at least three times, and TBH I find myself dumbstruck and in complete awe as to some of the comments made here. So lets just start with CRguy, For all the respect that I have for you. I do kinda, sorta understand. I acknowledge that "You aint from round here." and that living north of Dallas, Your delicate pallet my not be accustom to the rich bold flavors of "real" BBQ or "Grilling" as you call it. Please consider this to be a public service announcement. Be aware that shooting low pressure petroleum products (Natural Gas) at any kind of raw meat is NEVER a good idea.
On to you Michael! What in the Sam Hell are you thinking? For the Love of Beef! Really? Natural Gas? Why would you even consider this? Is it not enough that you insist on cooking with "COAL"? Sir, you are correct this whole thread is Off Topic its Way, way off topic! Now I must admit that In the past I have burnt a few yard birds on the pit for the Kiddos, But you better believe, that if im eating I would make Sam Elliot proud (BEEF! Its Whats For Dinner.) Everyone take note here. You MUST have two things for a BBQ.

#1 WOOD FIRE (wood fires should be made with a hard wood such as: Hickory, red or white Oak, Pecan wood, apple wood etc...)

#2 BEEF (Beef can be substituted for Veal, Pork, Mutton, Venison, Rabbit, Alligator, Fish, or even Crustaceans, but never yard bird.)

Love Yall, Cook What u Want When U Want N How U Want...thats the real secret to good BBQ
ஜ۩۞۩ஜ♥ஜ۩۞۩ஜ♥ஜ۩۞۩ஜ
.............EDGELLC............
ஜ۩۞۩ஜ♥ஜ۩۞۩ஜ♥ஜ۩۞۩ஜ
------♥♥-----
----♥♥-♥♥----
---♥♥---♥♥---
---♥♥---♥♥---
---♥♥---♥♥---
----♥♥-♥♥----
-----♥♥♥-----
----♥♥-♥♥---
---♥♥---♥♥---
--♥♥-----♥♥--

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:19 pm

good to see you posting buddy, so much so I'll even take your cookin' class !

Yes I'm just a few miles north of Dallas :shock:

Cheers bro'
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Chuck, it was all CR's fault. In a previous thread he mentioned the success of other threads, and said we ought to start a thread about grilling chickens. So, with my humble nature of which I am sure you are accustomed, I was more than happy to oblige. If it reached out to you my friend, it did more than I could have hoped for 8) As for the wood part, as I don't live in the sticks, it is a little harder to obtain for me. I don't think a fire built with crepe myrtle, would do my beef honor :shock:
Warm regards,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

sbrainbolt

Postby sbrainbolt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 pm

@ Michael and SugarBubbie - Howdy to you both! I am up here at Eldridge and I-10 and one of my daughters is in Greatwood right next door to Sugar Land. Born in Houston, 4th generation! I go to MD Anderson in the med center on a regular basis.

My fav grilled chicken is on natural gas, go to Hebert's specialty meats and get the chicken diablos. Half a jalapeno with a nice size chicken breast nugget inside all wrapped up with a half a piece of bacon, then seasoned with cajun seasoning. Cook on the grill for about 15 minutes with a flip in the middle. My entire family is a fan!

I generally lurk more than post, but this forum has been a God send on more than one occasion. My best to all.
DX 1/12 50 yrs
LAR 2/12 CR 3A T1N1M0
chemo 3/12- 9/10/12 FOLFOX, issues with platelet counts every 4th treatment
CEA normal
CT 3/15 stable lung nods since 1/2012 NED.
SBO kinked small bowel 10/13 - LAPRO surgery to fix
yrly scans now
09/25/2017 - Graduated to the Survivorship Clinic at MDA! Cured!!!

justin case

Postby justin case » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:16 pm

sbrainbolt wrote:@ Michael and SugarBubbie - Howdy to you both! I am up here at Eldridge and I-10 and one of my daughters is in Greatwood right next door to Sugar Land. Born in Houston, 4th generation! I go to MD Anderson in the med center on a regular basis.

My fav grilled chicken is on natural gas, go to Hebert's specialty meats and get the chicken diablos. Half a jalapeno with a nice size chicken breast nugget inside all wrapped up with a half a piece of bacon, then seasoned with cajun seasoning. Cook on the grill for about 15 minutes with a flip in the middle. My entire family is a fan!

I generally lurk more than post, but this forum has been a God send on more than one occasion. My best to all.

Sweetheart, you'll be the queen of the grill if you lace a jalpeno with shrimp,( Just cut a hole in the middle of the pepper, or slice it and take out the veins) stuff it with shrimp and wrap that sucker with bacon. I'm a ways past Eldridge, west on Little York and Fry. I know , they should call it Cypress, but I have a danged ole Katy address :roll:
Regards,
Michael
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”