Recurrence always in your mind?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Regan

Recurrence always in your mind?

Postby Regan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:19 am

NEDville. . .a wonderful thing.

Living daily life, dealing with effects of surgeries, pretending not to think the monster may come back.

Going through the motions.

Minor pain in abdomen (inner self --TERROR, outer self --just normal)

Life decisions different (inner self --DOESN'T MATTER, outer self --weigh options)

on and on and on and on and on
DH dx 7/12
Stg IV RC liver mets
11/12 Hrt Attk by Folfox
1/13 Liver resct
4/13 LAR-Temp
NED
1/14 revrsal
4/14 Hrnia surg 4/14
1/15 local recur, liver, lung, aortocaval region of retroperitoneum, anterior wall of distal abdominal aorta
2/15 Irinotecan
1/16 Lonsurf (fail--just zapped. Strength)
Aug 10, 2016 at rest

GreenMonkey

Re: Recurrence always in your mind?

Postby GreenMonkey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:28 am

I really try not too but yes, I do.
I am hoping that the longer I am NED, the easier it will be (but I doubt it).
This is not to say that I have stopped living. I smile more and laugh louder than before.
I am truly happy.

thoughts are so powerful. when fear leaks in I acknowledge it and then release it. Shift back to whats in front of me. 99% of the time, its sweet.
RC - T3NXMX depth of invasion 3mm - diagnosed 5/26/13 age 53
High Dose, Internal Radiation at Johns Hopkins resulted in a PCR
LAR 9/10/13 - 0-26 nodes. CEA 1.9 post surgery
XELOX started 10/21/13(8 rounds)
11/14 NED
greenmonkeytales.blogspot.com

justin case

Postby justin case » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:54 am

As I get older and try to keep up with the normal things that I do, run my machine , lift paper, crawl under various objects for maintenance, mow the lawn, etc. I have various muscle pains which I know are cancer related for a few days, and then they go away. Recurrence is often on my mind. I keep a prescription for pain meds at all times, and my oncologist is OK with that.(obviously) Also getting to that age, I try not to let those thoughts affect my quality of life, so I haven't become vegan, or taken my few libations away from myself. Basically for me, it is what it is.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

nitebreez

Postby nitebreez » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:39 am

I guess I'm just a bit paranoid about the possibility of recurrance. I seem to worry about it pretty often, and think about what I would do,...that I need to get something like a pre-paid cremation service in place (so as not to burden my daughter if and when the time should come). And how I would even be able to do the needed chemo this next time (as I had to get help with the chemo co-pays the first go around).

I guess the idea of recurrance being a real possibility,...is that my initial diagnosis was just a bit weird. I was rushed to the ER for emergency surgery. It was thought to be perforated colon by diverticulitus. So the general surgeon operated, with the diverticulitus in mind. No nodes were taken. It was only later, when the tumor sample came back that it was known that I actually had colon cancer. So with no nodes taken or checked,...I was placed in the "high risk" category, and received the same treatment as stage III-something.

Now I always am left wondering if there were perhaps cancer cells that got all over from the perforated colon (and/or any nodes affected). My first scan after chemo showed "No Evidence of Cancer". But I go around almost feeling them thar little cancer cells roaming around inside me somewhere!!!! Ya may not be able to see 'em,....but I almost can feel the little beggars.

So I stay paranoid,...and take all my many suppliments (like D3, PSK, aspirin, cimetidine,..etc. etc. etc. etc. etc) :lol:
T4a-Nx-M0 cc (perforated colon) Septic shock
2/19/13 emergency surgery/colostomy
4/13/13 colostomy reversed (reconnected!)
1/22/14 folfox completed
3/3/14 CT Scan NED
4/15/16 CEAs still low

Coppercent

Postby Coppercent » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:16 pm

I choose not to give cancer that much energy. If I end up in treatment I will face it at that time. I keep up on the newest treatment etc since I have a friend that is currently in treatment. I don't stress over scans or blood tests since I see those as things that will let me know if I need treatment. Life is a bumpy road whether it be cancer or another obstacle.
07/15/11 Stage III Rectal, 08/11 - 09/11 Chemo/rad 11/11 LAR - Whole rectum gone, ostomy, hysterectomy
01/12 Port placed, 01/12 thru 06/12 Folfox, Xelox 10/03/12 Reversal, Clear scan
And then the story continues.
Currently, remission round two!

vilca11
Location: Moscow, Russia; Baltimore, USA 1992; Vilcabamba, Ecuador 2012

Postby vilca11 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Sorry to break it to all, but in my opinion, even at stage 3, it is better to be safe than sorry... Just get on ADAPT with Dr. Lin at the NED point, and do not fear recurrence anymore... It is just Xeloda and Celebrex for 3 years, but there a chance that you are going to be alive and without recurrence for many more years... A good chance, not just 5%...
Hugs, Vilca
11/2005 CC stage 1, F,50yo@dx
Mod dif adenocar, MSS, APC, TP53, CEAs1.6-4.8
1/12 1met liver@Vena Cava, RFA, 3oxi,11 5FU
8/13 2 mets same place,SBRT
4/14 2 Xeliri+Avastin
5/14 Nano Knife liver same 2 mets
6/14 2 Xeliri, ADAPT
4/15 PET, 2 same mets,Cryo Liver
5/15 MJ Oil, Herbs, Suppl, ADAPT
10/15 PET, same area, doubled in size, high SUV
10/15 RH, HAI, visceral involv., no LN
2/16 red FF, 50% red dose FUDR, CEA trends up
3/16 CT, PET, MRI L.Lobe all in small tumors
4/16 No acceptable options, going home

stu

Postby stu » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi ,
My mum was diagnosed five years ago this summer as stage 4 . She had a very quick recurrence the following year and had more chemo and surgery. She has the most amazing attitude and focuses on living( also faced her recurrence with the same attitude). She has lived the last three years without treatment and for that I am very grateful. To be honest it took me a little longer to get on board partly because I am inclined to worry over most things and also because I have a background in health, my husband was actually working in the operating room next to my mum when she was initially diagnosed and he was brought out to support us but the surgeon was caught up with another patient and the strain was showing all over his face and my mum asked him and he took her in his arms and told her. It took many months for that image to subside in my mind as it told a thousand stories. However , I felt compelled to match my mum's courage and with time I realised it was not dominating every thought, then days went by without thinking about it and although it is there it is not just as loud. Anxiety surges before scans but I adopt a patients recommendations to set a point in time when I give myself permission to worry and not before it.
She has just celebrated her 50 th wedding anniversary by taking us all on holiday. It was priceless . Pure joy and cancer was far from our minds. She endured so much for times like this and it certainly takes discipline to control your thoughts but its possible with time.
Much love to you all
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

jvaime21
Facebook Username: alpha21_2003

Postby jvaime21 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:39 pm

Hello., My husband is always positive thinker, even when we found out that he was a cancer and not easy to cure., or treat, Before he started to his treatment 1st round chemo (28x of XELODA + adjuvant radiation ) . Our Doctor asked me what is our plan., He said there is a very little chance for his life if we do the treatment., or after surgery he will undergo another 2nd round Chemo ( XELODA + OXIPLATIN ) so tell me because during the chemo only two things will happen -- if he will survive the chemo or not !., or after surgery stop the chemo. because there is a big chance of recurrence., But I or we continued the treatment we finished it.
Now he still recovering ., but in my mind the recurrence is always with me., especially the other day. that after he poop there is a blood and a lot of blood came up when he is in bed lying .For him he said its nothing maybe its because of hard to poop so maybe got a wound inside. almost everyday I have that feelings of the Recurrence., we are now waiting for the appointment to our ONCO>

aime
wife of Stg 4 SRC
Diag.'12-2013(rd+Xeloda+oxi)
04/16/14 Clear CT-
8/25/14Kidney blockd nepro.
Rec. lung 1 enlrg. Abdomen
Inoperable/incurable /Chemo for life
11/21/14 Xeloda+Irinetocan 6x
hoping for a bright sunny day

TheLadySkye

Postby TheLadySkye » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:25 pm

For me, the fear of recurrence is always there. It is THE things I fear. Especially now that the chemo is done, I feel less like I am DOING anything to beat it into submission. And as my docs are quite keen to remind me, the recurrence thing really is out of my control. Alas, it doesn't stop me from worrying and I find myself periodically searching for ANYTHING that might give me a little more piece of mind. Alas, there is no doctor or website or medical article or any reputable source that I can find that will say, "Oh, you're going to be just fine." And I suspect that's what I need :(
TheLadySkye
Stage 2b (T4N0M0) small intestine (jejunum) 8/13
Small bowel resection 9/13
CT 10/13 - NED
FOLFOX chemotherapy 11/13 - 4/14
CT 6/14 - NED and my nemesis (the power port) out!
Clean colonoscopy and endoscopy 9/14
CT 12/14, 6/15 - NED!!!

helen098

Postby helen098 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:47 pm

every headache is a brain tumor, every bump leukemia then the ration part of my brain says no I don't think so
since I never had any symptoms while the cancer was growing I have spend many hours wonder what kind of time bomb I could have in my body
have a scan then feel great with a clean scan but what about the next day
it gets better but there is still the fear..... earlier this afternoon I was contemplating calling my colon doc on Monday because my stool was red...then I remember the red licorice I ate last night.....I think the chances of it being the red dye is a lot higher than bleeding
I will see what happens tomorrow but I think it was the licorice
once I was worried about my dog .....I though no it's not fair for him to have cancer too (when I was on chemo) well it turns out he had eaten red licorice the day before
a urgent vet visit and a couple of hundred dollars in tests....to find out jerry was fine and i was one of those pet parents (i refuse to identify myself as his mommy i am his human).
i wonder if it ever stops ?
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm one year after my diagnose with one year to go for the two year 80% chance recurrence. My family and friends all tell me I'll be fine but I'm still prepared. If it does come back, I'll do what is necessary to be NED again. Until then, I continue doing the same activities I did before cancer. I do worry about aches and pain but I don't over think them.

On the morbid side, I'll be making my own urn box...I'll have my husband scroll saw the cancer ribbon along with the words....Faith, Hope and Courage within the box. I built my mother and father box since Mom wanted to be buried with dad. I made a box big enough to hold both their ashes. Dad hung out in my closet for 13 years....until her time came.
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a