Cow virus causes colon cancer? Nobel laureate says maybe

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
radnyc

Cow virus causes colon cancer? Nobel laureate says maybe

Postby radnyc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:09 am

Very interesting read. A viral connection to cancer has been in the radar for a while. Studies are advancing. Another reason to put down that hamburger this July 4th, plus the fact that beef production is probably the biggest reason for climate changes in modern times.

Al

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs ... on-cancer/
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

Laurettas

Re: Cow virus causes colon cancer? Nobel laureate says maybe

Postby Laurettas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:56 am

I thought this was very interesting also and find it interesting that it is still being discussed. I first read about it 3 years ago and it seemed that the article I read was not new. I won't give up my beef--but I will continue to cook it well done!
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

KWT

Postby KWT » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am

What doesn't cause cancer? :roll: :roll: :roll:

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:35 am

I believe that not eating beef, besides the potential health benefits, is one of the best things we can do for the future of the planet. Beef production is causing massive stress on the planet. The amount of land needed for grazing tens of millions of heads of cattle is astonishing. Cutting down natural forests to grow grass has undoubtedly increased greenhouse gas, not too mention the increase of methane from the billions of tons of manure left behind. Yes, a tasty steak is a wonderful thing, but at what cost? As populations increase this problem is only going to get worse. Let's educate ourselves folks. And I don't think eating beef well done will make it any safer, higher heat also releases toxins in the meat. Sorry for the rant, but we need to start thinking more about the whole of humanity and a little less about our petty wants.

http://www.worldwatch.org/files/pdf/Liv ... Change.pdf

Al
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

raym

Postby raym » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am

Believe what you will believe, I still love a good burger, steak or roast. And don't insult us by using the word petty :evil:
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 pm

If you and yours REALLY want to save the planet. Get a vasectomy, have tubes tied and promote strict zero to negative population growth. Overpopulation by Human Beings and the selfishness of reproduction is the A number one problem plaguing the planet. Participate in local sustainable agriculture and give up your cars and most of your technology. Volunteer in your community pick up the trash on the side of the road. Volunteer to teach, help in schools... If you have to have kiddies, don't use disposable anything. Someone stay home so they are raised correctly rather than by someone that doesn't share your values or a by stranger. Participate in their lives in more than just sports.

For the most part my wife and I have tried to have a minimal impact where we have a choice. We don't have children. I tend to walk rather than drive or take my motor cycle (56 mpg) if I have somewhere I need to go further than I can walk in a half hours time (and for me that is nearly 4 miles). I use Trains and busses and car pool. I fly only when I have to for business purposes. We recycle heavily. My wife and I plan our trips for running errands so as not to waste gas running back and forth. We belong to a farm share and get fresh produce grown locally. We also garden - though not this year. I get all my meat either from efforts of hunting/fishing or from neighbors that raise limited numbers of cattle, sheep and hogs. We don't buy meat in a supermarket. And frankly the produce really sucks there also. We likely will give back more than we take as my wife works in the waste industry and I worked in drug discovery research and now in pharma knowledge management. I hope to leave money to a university when we are gone as our legacy - not exponentially growing mouths to feed.

I have been criticized that smart people like us should have children because the world is being filled with dumb people. But I have seen my fair share of the offspring of smart people becoming burdens on society, and that is usually because these kids are raised by someone other than their parents. I was raised that way and very nearly became a casualty myself.

Sorry - but this sort of wishful thinking just ticks me off.... People that think the world would just be so much better if everyone just ate vegges! Give me a break!

OK - off my soap box and I apologies for ranting an taking this off topic.

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

steiconi

Postby steiconi » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:56 pm

I stopped eating beef in 2000; before that, I always got it well-done.
I was diagnosed with colon cancer six years later.
Maybe that virus lives in our systems for a long time?
Or maybe the cancer was already started when I gave up the beef.
Or maybe there are multiple causes, and beef is just the most prominent vector.
I am not my disease.

andy21

Postby andy21 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:51 pm

My dad was life long vegetarian, so beef is not the only cause for colon cancer.
It's possible that Cow Milk also has that virus(if this virus theory is true!)

The most comprehensive study in mankind did come up with a connection between Milk and Cancer as below:

http://www.amazon.com/The-China-Study-C ... 1932100660

Humans are the only living things that take milk of other animals. No other animal does that.
Last edited by andy21 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caregiver: To 67 Yr father
diag. Stage IV, 5/12, liver mets
6 cycles Xelox/Avastin, Start 06/12
Stage 1 of Two Stage Resection Surgery in Dec, 12. 2nd line fails.
T Cell Trial May-Jul, 2013
Becomes a Heavenly Angel in August, 2013

Laurettas

Postby Laurettas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm not going to get into the "what's best for the planet" part of this thread because I would make everyone angry. I will just say that I grew up on a farm and lived in the country my entire adult life, growing my own vegetables and meat--and I have 5 grandkids whom I love dearly and would gladly welcome more! Enough said!

I do, however, have another theory of a completely different type. I have read that researchers have discovered a bacteria commonly found in our mouth in many colon tumors. I also learned that if anyone who has had a joint replacement has any dental work done, they need to go on antibiotics beforehand so that the bacteria in the mouth don't damage the replaced joints somehow. Don't know all of the details but let's put the two together. What if our concern over "healthy" mouths with regular cleaning etc. causes excessive bleeding in the mouth which could release this bacteria into our bodies, causing cancer? Does this sound totally crazy?

Oh, and as far as not eating beef because it may have this virus or whatever, we eat pork which has trichinosis, chicken and fish and eggs which have salmonella, etc. etc. Not to mention the vegetables and fruit which has massive amounts of herbicides and pesticides on them. I live where they grow a lot of wheat, lentils, garbanzo beans, etc. You would not believe the amount of chemicals put on these foods--up to three or four days before they are harvested.
DH 58 4/11 st 4 SRC CC
Lymph, peri, lung
4/11 colon res
5-10/11 FLFX, Av, FLFRI, Erb
11/11 5FU Erb
1/12 PET 2.4 Max act.
1/12 Erb
5/12 CT ext. new mets
5/12 Xlri
7/12 bad CT
8/12 5FU solo
8/12 brain met
9/12 stop tx
11/4/12 finished race,at peace

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Yeah - I love beef and will continue eating - preferably never cooked over medium rare. I was going to get on a soapbox but Grouseman already took my spot ha ha.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:26 pm

If you get enough cattle to fart, it will cause global warming. Eating them is the best way out of that mess, not to mention I love eating beef, and I'm really too old to steady myself on a soapbox .
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 am

Thank you for that morning lol, Michael. :D
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

ColOrPan

Postby ColOrPan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Man you should have smelt the methane in the air when the dinosaurs roamed the earth!
06/2012 DH rare intestinal type Ampullary/duodenal cancer. They extrapolate from colon cancer. FOLFOX 6 been working since Aug 2013. Feb 2014 once a month folfox as maintenance.
May 2014 Folfiri - fail
Starting off-label JAKAFI 08/25/14

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”